too much fat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• too much fat?

I'm loving the foods available through the primal blueprint - but one question -----> healthy fats are recommended to cook with/add to each meal. But how much are we talking about? I'm not adding a whole pound of butter or anything, but should I be using the fat the meat is cooked in as a sauce? How much butter/coconut oil/olive oil should be added to the sauce?

I assume I should just be taking a common sense approach?

60% or greater of my daily calories are from fat. I have become lean using mthis approach.
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

Comment

I keep my big frying pan about half an inch deep in fat, if that is any help. And I never buy meats with no fat on them. No idea how many calories that is as I have never knowingly eaten one and always thought any dietary measure also used to measure gas boiler output might not be all that useful.

Comment

I dunno, I watch my calories, so I measure my fats (butter, cream, etc.) and your grassfed meats are leaner in general. I think if you aren't losing weight, you may be eating too many calories and it might be helpful to pay closer attention to how much fat you are eating. Not at all saying to eat low fat, but be aware of how many calories you're eating as it can be easy to be eating 2 or 3 times as many calories as you thought when you begin using fats judiciously.

I eat 1400-1500 calories a day- usually 60% fat, and I just can't not be aware of fats because it doesn't take a lot to make a lot of extra calories. In general, the dog gets bacon grease, I don't eat the chicken fat that cooks off the chicken, though I eat the skin, I don't drain ground meat (mines grass fed and rather lean). I don't eat the fat edging on steaks. I cook a lot in butter and olive oil- but always measure- maybe a tablespoon of butter to 2 servings of veggies.

I made pulled pork, and drained most of the fat off it- honestly- the 1/2 inch of fat that coagulated was kind of gross.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
        Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

It varies based on the person and their goals. Aim for .7-1g of protein per pound of lean body mass. Go on the higher side if you're active. Get your carbs where you need them to feel right for your body composition goals and activity needs. Most people will want to go under 100g/day to lose fat. If you're doing a lot of glycogen-depleting exercise, you may need to get a good hit of carbs after a heavy workout. Then the balance comes from fat. If you feel you have your carbs and protein dialed in and you're still not losing, then cut it back. On the bright side, it's pretty hard to overeat on fat. It really fills you up.

Comment

I'd say experiment with what works for you.

Seem like LOTS of people here get 50% or more of their calories from healthy fats. Others do better on less...

Read Mark's "definitive" guides on fats and oils for guidelines on what to seek out/avoid/use in moderation. Then, armed with good knowledge start seeing what works for you and keep in mind there's no need to be fat PHOBIC!

I'm actually discovering something kind of interesting about myself. I'm looking at the possibility that I need to cut my fat intake, but not for the reason(s) you might think. I've been noticing that my appetite is really trailing off lately and it's corresponded with increased fat consumption due to trying "Bulletproof" Coffee in the morning. I'm now reaching a point where it's hard for me to eat enough (in my opinion) protein to preserve my muscle mass. I saw a slight loss in lean body tissue this past week.

My hypothesis is that (for me at least) fat consumption can possibly lead to excessive satiety, which is causing my appetite to wane to the point where I'm not getting enough protein. I'm actually now considering scaling back my fat consumption, not to limit calories, but in order to perk my appetite back up and get the protein I need. The effect of this will actually likely RAISE my caloric intake.
            Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
            Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

Comment

I would say most of my calories come from fat - pork fat in the morning, olive oil and the fat surrounding the protein at lunch, and the lard I cook dinner with, along with the associated fat there.

I try not to eat too much only because my weekdays are still quite sedentary and particularly in the evenings I don't need all the extra energy.
              Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboycowe View Post
                I'm loving the foods available through the primal blueprint - but one question -----> healthy fats are recommended to cook with/add to each meal. But how much are we talking about? I'm not adding a whole pound of butter or anything, but should I be using the fat the meat is cooked in as a sauce? How much butter/coconut oil/olive oil should be added to the sauce?

I assume I should just be taking a common sense approach?
                Depends on your health, goals, etc.

When I was healing from SAD, fat was as much as 80-90% of my diet. Now it's down to 60-70% since I don't limit my (primal) carbs anymore.
                Lifting Journal

Comment

guys - thanks for taking the time to reply - some great advice here.

I suppose I ask this question as I have been a comfort eater (and drinker) all my life (...not the drink part, but you get the point). Therefore, filling my mouth EVEN when I am no longer hungry is an easy thing to do.

I like fats (love?), and will happily scoff the fat on bacon, steak, pork, etc...

However - I weighed myself tonight and my results are not good. I think it's a mixture of too much fat and a booze habit I can't kick. I'm addressing the latter point seperately, but know I can overeat very easily.

Should I focus on lean proteins with a measured amount of fat as a side?

Comment

I'd get the drinking under control before worrying about anything else.
                    Lifting Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Apex Predator View Post
                      I'd get the drinking under control before worrying about anything else.

I'd agree, but I was worried I was over-eating as well.

Comment

The booze is most likely doing you more damage than the fats.
                        Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
                        Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboycowe View Post
                          I'd agree, but I was worried I was over-eating as well.
                          It's mostly that there's no way of telling whether you are eating too many fats until you stop drinking- context is critical. Alcohol shoots blood sugar up.
                          Lifting Journal

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                            I dunno, I watch my calories, so I measure my fats (butter, cream, etc.) and your grassfed meats are leaner in general. I think if you aren't losing weight, you may be eating too many calories and it might be helpful to pay closer attention to how much fat you are eating. Not at all saying to eat low fat, but be aware of how many calories you're eating as it can be easy to be eating 2 or 3 times as many calories as you thought when you begin using fats judiciously.

I eat 1400-1500 calories a day- usually 60% fat, and I just can't not be aware of fats because it doesn't take a lot to make a lot of extra calories. In general, the dog gets bacon grease, I don't eat the chicken fat that cooks off the chicken, though I eat the skin, I don't drain ground meat (mines grass fed and rather lean). I don't eat the fat edging on steaks. I cook a lot in butter and olive oil- but always measure- maybe a tablespoon of butter to 2 servings of veggies.

I made pulled pork, and drained most of the fat off it- honestly- the 1/2 inch of fat that coagulated was kind of gross.
                            I try and eat as much fat as I can, or at least as much as I feel like. I don't think you can get fat from eating fat, as I think it probably doesn't metabolise that way. So today I ate three hard boiled eggs for breakfast, no lunch then for dinner I ate four sausages, part of a very big sweet potato, chopped carrots and five pieces of bacon, all fried in 1/2" lard until cooked through. I count that as a single calorie of indeterminate size. Also some frozen peas and spinach cooked on their own (without fat) in a separate frying pan. As they were cooked in a separate pan I should award them their own calorie too, taking the meal to two calories-pans but only one plate.

It is so cold at the moment that I find myself craving carbohydrates like carrots and sweet potatoes. I think maybe i just need more because of the weather and riding my bike in the cold.
                            Last edited by billp; 02-13-2012, 03:22 PM.

Comment

You can certainly get fat eating fat. It is the easiest thing to metabolize into fat stores into the body. However, it does require insulin to get it there. But if you eat enough it will even on 0 carbs there are studies about this..

Coming from someone who has and never will have the problem of.. "I'm just not hungry to eat enough!!" HAHAHA even with 0 carbs and loads of fat... Actually when I eat lots of extra fat I do notice that my hunger is more then when I eat leaner protein sources with a little bit of carbs, that's just me. Example, typical sunday breakfast is 3-4 pieces of bacon, 4 egg omelet with cheese and onions. I don't get that "full" feeling from that.. but I'm satisfield and this is pretty large for someone my size. Oh and if you think its the cheese, I've had straight hardboiled eggs with the same result. I'll be hungry 3 hours later.

You'll have to see what works for you.
                              Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

Working...
                              X