Detox - is it real?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detox - is it real?

I've been primal about 10 days and my bowel movements have increased to around 2 a day and my skin has gotten really bad (one of the main reasons for me doing this diet is energy and better skin)
    Is there any anecdotal or scientific evidence that once you cut excess carbs, grains and sugars from your diet your body begins to detox itself, expelling toxins through bowel movements and out of your skin? could this be why its worse at these intial stages??
    I really need someone to tell me this is the case and my skin will get a little worse and then start to get a lot better, still very tired as well, i know it's early days but really need some motivation right now
    If man made it, don't eat it

Detox is not real.

Comment

Comment

I guess it depends on how you define 'detox'. There are quite a lot of people who can offer anecdotal evidence about it in varying degrees and using varying definitions. I've leaned in the direction of it being complete bunk until recently when I started taking iodine and got symptoms that fell in line with something called bromide/bromine detox - release of bromide/bromine from iodine receptors into the bloodstream with negative side effects. I'm still on the fence about 'die-off symptoms', but have experienced a 'detox' of sorts with halogens...so from my perspective, there's some truth to detox.

Your body reacts to what you ingest - how could it not? It's the fuel you put in it. If you've changed your diet, you should be able to expect some changes in your body.

Comment

Most folks suffer with grain withdrawal symptoms for 3 weeks or so after starting the Paleo Diet. So this is likely what is happening to you, only just more severe.

Clabbergirl is correct, you WILL detox your body of toxic chemicals if you start supplementing with iodine. Most Americans are SEVERELY deficient in iodine. See this link for details:
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post713855

Grizz

Comment

thanks guys, this was more what i was hoping to here!
            I know i need to give this lifestyle more time for change but i just feel demotivated at the moment as things seem to be geting a litte worse
            Grizz, I've been looking into the iodine thread, do you think this would be a good start for me? (i live in the UK)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294

Comment

or maybe this Wel-Pac Wakame Dried Seaweed 57g: Amazon.co.uk: Grocery

Comment

The general consensus is that getting nutrients from food is better than by supplement, but it's not as easy to get exact doses that way, and not always cost or time effective.

Do a search in the forum box up top for acne and you will also find many, many threads about acne and the primal diet. You aren't alone in this and it does seem to clear up on its own with time and/or slight modifications. Everyone is different and your mileage may vary.

Comment

thanks clabbergirl, i will look at some of those threads for acne
                  those links are just to dried seaweed from amazon because the tescos near me only sells the roasted kind i read that that process of roasting removes a lot of the minerals

Comment

Funny, cutting out grains and dairy improved my acne greatly. Also, not combining fat/carbs helped a lot.

Comment

yea im hoping this is the case but my skin since starting just looks terrible, i have read quite a lot on other forums about peoples' acne clearing up immensly after going low carb, a few of them said their skin got worse, they almost quit, but then after about a month (time it takes for new skin to reach the surface) their skin started looking amazing, i cant describe how much i hope this is the case for me!!!!

Comment

Skin problems are usually inflammation-related, which isn't due to carb intake, it's due to inflammatory compounds in grains, seed oils, and other neolithic foods. If you get your carbs from wheat, the gluten will probably give you problems. If you get them from sweet potato or bananas or tapioca, you probably won't. The same thing goes for fats; if you eat nothing but margarine and corn oil, you're probably not going to feel so great. If you eat grass-fed meat, fish, coconuts, etc., you'll do great (not to mention you'll get all the other benefits too, not just the fats!).

The low-carb message is great for people who are obese and want to lose a lot of body fat easily. It's nowhere near the be-all and end-all for perfect health. It's also really important to stress that Mark himself, despite definitely being a "low-carb guru" doesn't think everyone should go VLC--150g of carbs, his recommended upper daily limit, from Primal sources is actually quite a lot.

Eat real food, plants and animals; avoid poisonous stuff. Don't worry so much about macronutrient ratios, worry about the quality of what goes in your mouth.
                        Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Have you ever tried the oil cleansing method for washing your face? Many have had good luck with that, paleo or not. It might help with your transition to a primal diet by working out impurities in the skin a little faster. You can use the same coconut oil you cook with, no need to buy anything extra.

Comment

i might add some sweet potato to my diet then cheers
                            i use olive oil on my face at the moment, its not really that i have a lot of spots (though i do have some) it's more that the quality of my skin is so poor, it's very uneven, often dry despite the olive oil, and i have dark circles under my eyes, i just have poor quality skin, i just pray to god this lifestyle sorts it out because it depresses the hell out of me

Comment

Your body is "detoxing" all the time. Going paleo just means that toxins out is greater than toxins in, so you end up with a cleaner healthier body.
                              www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Comment

Working...
                              X