Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSN news getting closer to truth in this article!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSN news getting closer to truth in this article!

They still think cholesterol clogs arteries, but are easing up on saturated fat a bit...AND VILLIFYING GRAINS!!!

Make Yourself Heart Attack Proof: Eat to Your Heart's Content - 1 - MSN Health - Heart & Cardiovascular Slide Show
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Wow. So there's still hope for the world.

Comment

Lost me at "A truly healthy diet features a broad range of fruits, vegetables, nuts, and legumes..."

Fruits first on the list and nuts and legumes on it with meat not. Just most of the same old CW nonsense with a pretty new bow.
      Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
      Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

Comment

Well, you could read the whole thing...
        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
          Well, you could read the whole thing...
          True, the very last sentence says to favor grass-fed bison, not to mention the fact that sardines were one of the items listed. Overall not bad... it's something I'd send to a family member who wouldn't buy paleo, but would consider some changes.

Side note: I loved that the advertisement/banner at the top (and both sides) of my screen was for "Quaker Whole Heart" as I read this, and not once did they mention eating oatmeal during the article. LOL!
          Last edited by Jen AlcesAlces; 02-09-2012, 03:48 PM.
          Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

Originally posted by tim_1522 View Post
            Lost me at "A truly healthy diet features a broad range of fruits, vegetables, nuts, and legumes..."

Fruits first on the list and nuts and legumes on it with meat not. Just most of the same old CW nonsense with a pretty new bow.
            Healthy fruits aren't necessarily bad. Now,dried and processed fruits that for some reason have additional sugar added to them from things like HFCS and so on are bad,and make no sense. The syrup that they pack canned fruits in is ridiculous.
            Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
            CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Comment

No argument that all the other stuff is WORSE, but...

Excessive fruit consumption will cause fat gain. Yes! Even the healthy plain old fruit, fruits. If I eat more than about 3 pieces a week, I will put on weight no matter what else I do with diet and exercise. I am not the only one, either. My wife has many friends that do Weight Watchers and were seeing some modest progress with it but when WW started that whole "Points Plus" nonsense which one of the hooks was 0 point fruits, every single one of my wife's friends put weight on. Now, I realize there could be a ton of other factors, but it's hard to ignore that the biggest change was make fresh fruits a "free, eat as much as you want item" and then they all put on weight.

Putting fruit first on the list is foolish.
              Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
              Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

Comment

No argument that all the other stuff is WORSE, but...

Excessive fruit consumption will cause fat gain. Yes! Even the healthy plain old fruit, fruits. If I eat more than about 3 pieces a week, I will put on weight no matter what else I do with diet and exercise. I am not the only one, either. My wife has many friends that do Weight Watchers and were seeing some modest progress with it but when WW started that whole "Points Plus" nonsense which one of the hooks was 0 point fruits, every single one of my wife's friends put weight on. Now, I realize there could be a ton of other factors, but it's hard to ignore that the biggest change was make fresh fruits a "free, eat as much as you want item" and then they all put on weight.

Putting fruit first on the list is foolish.
                Well,I can eat three bananas a day and not put on any fat,as can many other people.....it all really comes down to an individual thing.I'm not saying that anyone should run out and eat a whole bag of apples or anything, but in the context of a balanced diet eaten by a healthy person, natural fruits aren't that bad.If someone is overweight or metabolically damaged then yeah,keep the fruits to a minimum or just don't bother with them,but I love a banana after a hard workout and so does my body.
                Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
                CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Comment

You guys are ridiculous.
                  It wasn't an ordered list. Jesus. Not a great article but I always say I eat "fruits, vegetables, and meat", it's not like the first thing I list is the one I eat most.

Comment

I thought it was a lot better than most of the advice CW puts forward. And I liked the bit about lentils - I love them and I'm sure they love me. Could have had more recommendations e.g. ruminate grass fed meat, liver etc. But so much better than "heart healthy grains and Flora margarine"

Comment

Fruits, vegetables, dark chocolate, red wine and almonds. Nothing impressive or anti-CW in that list. I was hoping to see steak, coconut oil, grass fed butter and sweet potatoes. The saving grace is it's a grain-free list, but I'm still unimpressed. I'm disappointed to see almonds on that list, too. If you're going to put nuts, at least put macadamias or hazelnuts, not PUFA-ridden, potentially allergenic, potentially alfatoxin contaminated almonds.
                      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                        Fruits, vegetables, dark chocolate, red wine and almonds. Nothing impressive or anti-CW in that list. I was hoping to see steak, coconut oil, grass fed butter and sweet potatoes. The saving grace is it's a grain-free list, but I'm still unimpressed. I'm disappointed to see almonds on that list, too. If you're going to put nuts, at least put macadamias or hazelnuts, not PUFA-ridden, potentially allergenic, potentially alfatoxin contaminated almonds.
                        almonds - Google Scholar

And that is why almonds are on the list. Despite your hate of "pufa-ridden" almonds, they have been shown to promote heart health in a HUGE amount of studies.

Comment

While I disagree that legumes are healthy, I can make plenty of arguments about how fruits are better for us than most vegetables. Our intestines and metabolisms are designed to digest fruits, starches and meats and convert them into energy very well. We were NOT designed to digest significant quantities of vegetables.
                          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by jimhensen View Post
                            almonds - Google Scholar

And that is why almonds are on the list. Despite your hate of "pufa-ridden" almonds, they have been shown to promote heart health in a HUGE amount of studies.
                            What you need to realize is that almonds are generally regarded to "promote heart health" because studies have shown that they lower cholesterol. This makes several assumptions.

1.) Is lower cholesterol better than higher cholesterol? According to "most studies", having low cholesterol increases your chance of death threefold over having higher cholesterol.

2.) LDL is essentially a tire patch kit for your arteries. If you have low LDL and your arteries become inflamed and lacerated, then you don't have much "tire patch" available to bandage them while they heal. Since omega 6 is inflammatory AND the health heralds of almonds are they lower LDL, you're essentially inflaming your system while removing some of the tire patch. This sounds like a negative to me as the goal is to have significant Pattern A LDL with plentiful HDL (the Pattern A LDL patches the lesions and the HDL sweeps it away once healed).

3.) Almonds are one of the most allergenic nuts and are the most prone to alfatoxin contamination (second to peanuts for argument's sake).

4.) Even if the health benefits of almonds outweigh the negatives, it still makes no sense to promote them as the choice nuts since macadamias, hazelnuts and cashews are far healthier per calorie.

There is no reason to promote the almond. If you're going to eat nuts, which I suggest you avoid in any significant quantity, there are far superior options. Providing random internet links mean absolutely nothing. Take a position and tell me WHY you think almonds are so good and deserve to be there. I can provide you dozens of random internet links with evidence that we've already secretly colonized the moon and are mining it for Helium-3. It doesn't make it true.
                            Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 02-10-2012, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X