Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Dietary Carbohydrates Necessary for Human Nutrition?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Dietary Carbohydrates Necessary for Human Nutrition?

Is dietary carbohydrate essential for human nutrition?
    Τρωγλοδῦται

Interesting article.Sadly,people tend to have a flawed way of thinking,and inevitably there will be people that hear carbs aren't essential and then make the conclusion that because they aren't essential they're bad.I'm sure my body could get by on less than 50 grams of carbs a day,but I'd be miserable and my workouts and favorite activities would suffer,so while they may not be essential for me, it's my belief that healthy carbs are very beneficial to my lifestyle.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Comment

I think the last paragraph is spot on.
      Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
      Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

Comment

Necessary, no. Is it optimal to not eat carbs? No, definitely not.

Comment

Many societies, most notably those living in the Arctic (Eskimos, etc) survive without carbs, because they simply don't have them around. Though now there are more places where they can go get them and stuff.

There's a pretty interesting read called "adventures in diet" (google it) about the above, written in the early 1900s which to me makes it more interesting.
          I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Vilhjalmur Stefansson: Adventures in Diet - presented by Dr. Bass
            Τρωγλοδῦται

Comment

This should be a 'must-read' for paleo folk. In it they describe a meat-only diet, eaten to satiety, and thriving. When examined, it turned out to be 35% protein/65% fat. Experiments with 100% protein sickened them within days. It's hard to believe that you could get a ratio of 35:65 eating only fish, but the fish they ate in the arctic must have had a high oil content. Very, very good reading!

Comment

Originally posted by otzi View Post
                This should be a 'must-read' for paleo folk. In it they describe a meat-only diet, eaten to satiety, and thriving. When examined, it turned out to be 35% protein/65% fat. Experiments with 100% protein sickened them within days. It's hard to believe that you could get a ratio of 35:65 eating only fish, but the fish they ate in the arctic must have had a high oil content. Very, very good reading!
                Yet there was a time when the paleo diet vilified fatty meats, it's great how this diet changes when new information presents itself.
                Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Comment

There's no doubt the human animal can survive, and even thrive, on a huge variety of macronutrient ratios, so long as the food is completely unprocessed and the internal mechanisms of the body aren't screwed up from years of eating the SAD.

See, @lex, a bunch more camp C'ers!

I love reading about Steffanson & the Inuit. Just fascinating stuff. And totally agree, high protein without enough fat AND organ meats is a recipe for disaster.
                  5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                  Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                  Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                  Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                  ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
                    There's no doubt the human animal can survive, and even thrive, on a huge variety of macronutrient ratios, so long as the food is completely unprocessed and the internal mechanisms of the body aren't screwed up from years of eating the SAD.

See, @lex, a bunch more camp C'ers!

I love reading about Steffanson & the Inuit. Just fascinating stuff. And totally agree, high protein without enough fat AND organ meats is a recipe for disaster.
                    Rational thinking based on science and individual goals and needs? Yay!

Comment

Originally posted by otzi View Post
                      I have not read it but I would think in the arctic whale blubber, walrus fat, and seal fat could have contributed to those percentages. As far as I know these are staple foods in an arctic diet even to this day.

Comment

Carbohydrates are not necessary for human health. There is a difference between unnecessary and harmful.
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I must say it makes good support of Marks 150g c/d for maintenance so start eating those leafy greens and veg!
                          Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                          PS
                          Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                            Carbohydrates are not necessary for human health. There is a difference between unnecessary and harmful.
                            Exactly.

You can survive without them,but whether or not that is optimal depends on the specific person and their needs.

Comment

Originally posted by whitebear View Post
                              I have not read it but I would think in the arctic whale blubber, walrus fat, and seal fat could have contributed to those percentages. As far as I know these are staple foods in an arctic diet even to this day.
                              I live 100 miles from the Arctic Circle and visit native villages frequently. Most villages on the Arctic Ocean coastline are allowed to kill a couple whales every year, they share the blubber (muktuk) around and it pretty much gives everyone a taste of the old ways, but not enough to live on. They do eat plenty of fish and caribou, but their diet is mostly soda pop, processed foods, and canned goods. Some folks live a subsistence lifestyle, but it is not the norm. Whale harvesting is a recent thing to Eskimos, they probably never ate whale until the whaling fleets came up to hunt them in the 1800's. The original diet was mostly seal, fish, caribou, polar bear, and walrus.

If you guys haven't read the whole story, please do! The last part on dental health of inuits is very enlightening... There is a link posted on Page 1 of this thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X