Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

44-year-old woman, finding IF very difficult: should I persist?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What you're eating sounds pretty good and fairly similar to what I eat - although I don't tend to have protein shakes and I probably eat less rice and potatoes.

The greek yogurt in the evening will be relatively high sugar (compared to the rest of what you eat) so that could be setting you up to be hungry in the morning but I'm not sure how much of an impact it will really have. Maybe you could try having the berries with some cream instead or just on their own? I've just had a bowl of strawberries on their own and they were really tasty! An alternative might be to have some boiled eggs ones night and see if that makes a difference?

I remember reading one post about IF where someone was insisting that you should start very slowly, and just move your fasting interval by an hour a week. So, eat your evening meal as normal and in the first week, just eat breakfast an hour later than you normally would. E.g. dinner might be at 7.30pm and breakfast at 10.30am. If you're good with that, then in the second week shift breakfast to 11.30am and keep your last meal at 7.30pm. If that's more difficult, then keep doing that interval until its easy, and then the move breakfast back again. Before you know it, you'll be only eating two meals in a day. This isn't the approach that I took, but I can see that it would probably work and might be an easier way in.

Sugar is my nicotine...

Comment

If you're just coming off of eating every 2-3 hours then you may not be ready to IF. It shouldn't be hard. You should be able to feel hunger and then easily ignore it. If that's not the case, and you are truly ravenous, then maybe you should wait a while before you IF and concentrate on only eating 3 meals a day, then go down from there. You don't have to be able to do everything all at once

Comment

sbhikes, our stats aren't too far off, how much fish do you eat when you break your fast? And is that all you eat or do you sometimes add veggies or something else in?

I have tried the bulletproof coffee before and loved it, maybe I shouldn't be so afraid of the fat content.
        "For the great enemy of the truth is very often not the lieódeliberate, contrived, and dishonestóbut the mythópersistent, persuasive, and unrealistic ... we enjoy the comfort of opinions without the discomfort of thought."
        ---John F. Kennedy

Comment

Originally posted by Apex Predator View Post
          The fact that you are eating every couple of hours is likely not helping. Consolidate your eating into 2-3 meals of real food(no shakes).
          Good point - snacking doesn't help things! I will always be hungriest a few hours after eating, and then it dies away and doesn't seem to come back as strong for a long time.

Sugar is my nicotine...

Comment

You all are so awesomely helpful, thank you! So I'm thinking I'll try this for the next week:

7am: wake up
            9am: Bulletproof Coffee (for me this is 1 TBSP Kerrygold, 1 TBSP coconut oil, with 2 lungo pulls of espresso)
            1pm: eat protein heavy lunch
            5pm: workout
            7/7:30pm: eat a BIG dinner with lots of protein and some carbs

Then no food until my next BPC at 9am the next morning.

If I am absolutely needing something before bed, a few berries + a few nuts? Eliminate the dairy.
            "For the great enemy of the truth is very often not the lieódeliberate, contrived, and dishonestóbut the mythópersistent, persuasive, and unrealistic ... we enjoy the comfort of opinions without the discomfort of thought."
            ---John F. Kennedy

Comment

Just donít eat. Itís a fast. Donít eat. It doesnít matter if you are hungry or not, donít eat. Could you go without food for 24hrs if someone would give you $1 million? What about if it would save the life of someone you care about? If the answer to either of those is yes, then you can do this. You just have to decide to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by gempdx44 View Post
                You all are so awesomely helpful, thank you! So I'm thinking I'll try this for the next week:

7am: wake up
                9am: Bulletproof Coffee (for me this is 1 TBSP Kerrygold, 1 TBSP coconut oil, with 2 lungo pulls of espresso)
                1pm: eat protein heavy lunch
                5pm: workout
                7/7:30pm: eat a BIG dinner with lots of protein and some carbs

Then no food until my next BPC at 9am the next morning.

If I am absolutely needing something before bed, a few berries + a few nuts? Eliminate the dairy.
                Sounds good, though I'd eat dinner leftovers for a snack- for lack of a better explanation, don't "reward" the hunger with something novel/sweet/crunchy.
                Lifting Journal

Comment

Now,I can only speak from my experiences,but I never try to fast, it just naturally happens. I eat my last meal of the day and go to bed 5 or 6 hours later then get a solid 8 or 9 hours of deep and restful sleep.I regularly go 15-16 hours between dinner and my next meal,it just seems to be the natural pattern that I've fallen into while eating paleo. I'm not sure if this is because my metabolism isn't as damaged as some people,or if I'm eating the right stuff and amount of calories in my meals,or what the reason may be. My honest suggestion is to not push the fasting and slowly ease into it.Try to cut back on the snacking and get the bulk of your calories in your daily meals instead of grabbing stuff between them, trust me when I say that those little handfuls here and there can add up shockingly fast. Above all,listen to your body,it'll tell you more about what you need than any of us ever could. If your body tells you that you aren't ready to fast then don't force the issue,just continue eating healthy and you'll eventually be ready to do it without any issues.
                  Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
                  CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Comment

Thanks @lex - I am definitely going to focus on real meals instead of grazing all the time as has been my way of eating for years now. I am optimistic this will help me get over the "never quite satisfied" feelings that I experience when I'm grazing.
                    ---John F. Kennedy

Comment

I understand listening to your body but sometimes you have to ignore it. If you are used to eating breakfast then your body will send you signals to eat at breakfast. If you want to fast for breakfast you have to ignore the signal until your body no longer sends you signals to eat at breakfast, as an example.

Comment

Working...
                      X