Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question asked that I cant seem to answer.....why are grains bad for you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question asked that I cant seem to answer.....why are grains bad for you?

I got this question today and I dont really know what to say regarding the science behind it, drawing a blank.
    My studies all talked about how you need them, ugh!

HELP!

What question?
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Comment

dear god, search. all you got to do is type 'grains'
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-grains-are-unhealthy/
      My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
      Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

Comment

Thanks, sorry I didnt think of that! Duh....

Comment

Grains are not unhealthy.

A study on IP6, aka phytic acid...

Cancer Inhibition by Inositol Hexaphosphate (IP6) and Inositol: From Laboratory to Clinic

Comment

Originally posted by DMCFitness
            What, then why are you primal?
            He's not, he's one of our resident trolls.
            “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by abstractpersona View Post
              dear god, search. all you got to do is type 'grains'
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-grains-are-unhealthy/
              Lets take a look at the studies linked in that article...

First one is from 1973

Insulin-Like Activity of Concanavalin A and Wheat Germ Agglutinin

It talks about how lectins have direct interaction with insulin receptors, without stating that this is harmful in any way. Also, I would like to see a study on this not from 4 decades ago.

JYI.org :: Wheat Chemicals Starve Insect Pests

This is absolutely ridiculous. Apparently lectins harm an insect's gut...if I were an insect, this might be relevant.

Do dietary lectins cause disease?

And a quote from the study:

"But if we all eat lectins, why don’t we all get insulin dependent diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, IgA nephropathy, and peptic ulcers? Partly because of biological variation in the glycoconjugates that coat our cells and partly because these are protected behind a fine screen of sialic acid molecules, attached to the glycoprotein tips.10 We should be safe. "

BMC Endocrine Disorders | Full text | Agrarian diet and diseases of affluence - Do evolutionary novel dietary lectins cause leptin resistance?

grains cause leptin resistance? Well the people that wrote this article think they might, but the only study they have done is on pigs and according to them there is no human studies that supports it. How convincing!

There is also some talk about gluten and celiacs...that is like saying peanuts are bad because I know someone that has an allergy to them.

Nondigestible Carbohydrates and Mineral Bioavailability

The abstract:

"Generally, fiber and compounds associated with fiber in cereal products (e.g., phytates) have been
              found to reduce the apparent absorption of minerals (such as calcium, magnesium, zinc and manganese) in
              humans, livestock and animal models. The effects of ‘‘soluble’’ forms of fiber (specifically pectins, gums, resistant
              starches, lactulose, oligofructose and inulin) on mineral absorption are more difficult to characterize. The addition
              of these soluble forms of fiber has been found in various studies to add viscosity to the gut contents, promote
              fermentation and the production of volatile fatty acids in the cecum, have a trophic effect on the ceca of animals
              and increase serum enteroglucagon concentrations. Thus it is not surprising that the addition of soluble forms of
              fiber to diets often has been found to improve absorption of minerals.
              This may reflect absorption of electrolytes
              from the large intestine. Future work should address the mechanisms by which ingestion of nondigestible
              carbohydrates improves mineral absorption in human"

Foods high in soluble fiber include oat bran, oatmeal, beans, peas, rice bran, barley, citrus fruits, strawberries and apple pulp.

Hmmm, some of those are grains.

Anyway, Mark's little article on why grains are bad for you should only fool the most naive of readers.

Comment

I have another question: why are the older forms of wheat like biblical emmer wheat less toxic, while modern dwarf hybrid wheat is so addictive and fattening and sickening? Wheat Belly listed a few chemicals, but I couldn't quite get why the new wheat had the addictive substances but the old wheat did not.

And consequently, if some enterprising farmer decided to grow and sell only emmer wheat, could paleo/primals eat it as an occasional wheat treat without causing too much damage?
                5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                  He's not, he's one of our resident trolls.
                  He's not a troll. He has actual arguments and a different point of view.
                  You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                    He's not a troll. He has actual arguments and a different point of view.
                    I find that he baits people and makes fun of folks who talk about primal. Sure, he's got some links and some arguments, but I'd categorize him as a concern troll.
                    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by jimhensen View Post
                      Grains are not unhealthy.

A study on IP6, aka phytic acid...

Cancer Inhibition by Inositol Hexaphosphate (IP6) and Inositol: From Laboratory to Clinic
                      Then why do they make me break out in eczema? Absolutely positive it's grains.

Comment

Originally posted by Nady View Post
                        Then why do they make me break out in eczema? Absolutely positive it's grains.
                        I don't know why they make YOU break out in eczema. Why do cats make my eyes itchy? I can assure you that the great majority of people don't break out from eating grains though.

Comment

All grains are not created equal. I can eat white rice with pretty much no issues but if you give me wheat/flour my allergies and IBS flare out of control.
                          "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

Originally posted by jimhensen View Post
                            I don't know why they make YOU break out in eczema. Why do cats make my eyes itchy? I can assure you that the great majority of people don't break out from eating grains though.
                            How would you know that? Any idea how many people have skin issues? Why do they sell so many cortisone creams, special soaps, prescription meds? People just don't know it's the grains~

Comment

Originally posted by Nady View Post
                              How would you know that? Any idea how many people have skin issues? Why do they sell so many cortisone creams, special soaps, prescription meds? People just don't know it's the grains~
                              This is absolutely ridiculous. I hate this "well my ibs/eczema/anything flares up when I eat grains." GREAT...the great majority of people can eat grains without those effects. Just because you have some sort of allergy to grains does not mean that they are bad for you. Some people DIE if they eat peanuts. Is that evidence that peanuts are killers and no one should eat them? No, of course not. I tend to get diarrhea if I eat more than a couple fish oil pills at once...I think we should all stop taking fish oil because of this. See how stupid that is?

I'm not saying that everyone should be eating grains. What I am saying is that most people can eat grains as part of a balanced diet with no ill effect (and they could arguably have a positive effect on overall health). And in my opinion the research supports this point of view.

If grains are a trigger food and you can't control yourself if you eat them, avoid them. If grains cause you to have some sort of uncomfortable reaction, avoid them. If you have absolutely no problem tolerating grains (the great majority of people) there is no reason to avoid them.

Comment

Working...
                              X