Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sugar Isn't The Problem. You're The Problem.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You didn't eat unlimited quantities of high-fat foods. You ate until you were full.
    Last edited by Kilian; 05-04-2012, 12:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kilian View Post
      Actually, it should be lean body mass, not bodyweight.
      No it shouldn't. The calculation I'm referring to uses total body weight, not lean body mass.
      How to Estimate Maintenance Caloric Intake – Q&A
      Lean Mass or Total Weight to Set Calorie Levels – Q&A

Comment

• Originally posted by Kilian View Post
        You didn't eat unlimited quantities of high-fat foods. You ate until you were full.
        I'm still learning my satiety/hunger points, respectively.
        If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

• Originally posted by ss14 View Post
          Right, so +300 is 30 pounds, which is about what I lost in 2011, all while eating unlimited quantities of high-fat foods. So no wonder you keep hearing CICO doesn't matter (that's what people are saying -- no one is saying it doesn't hold, they're just saying it doesn't matter).
          It is very, very easy for your body to let go of fat when you're carrying a lot of extra weight. Your body doesn't want to get rid of it. The reason why CICO failed before was because you were surely eating the wrong types of food - low nutrient processed foods that promote little satiety. Basically, you were starving on a hunger level and starving on a nutritive level. No wonder it "didn't work." The fact is, if you lost weight, you were taking in a deficit and you didn't even know it. When you eat real food, your hunger reflects your current natural homeostasis - you were eating maintenance calories for a guy that weighed 30 pounds less, it was just effortless because you were eating real, nutritious foods that promoted satiety. CICO still worked, you just had no idea you were doing it.

And THAT'S why the Primal Blueprint works - it's sustainable.
          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
            It is very, very easy for your body to let go of fat when you're carrying a lot of extra weight. Your body doesn't want to get rid of it. The reason why CICO failed before was because you were surely eating the wrong types of food - low nutrient processed foods that promote little satiety. Basically, you were starving on a hunger level and starving on a nutritive level. No wonder it "didn't work." The fact is, if you lost weight, you were taking in a deficit and you didn't even know it. When you eat real food, your hunger reflects your current natural homeostasis - you were eating maintenance calories for a guy that weighed 30 pounds less, it was just effortless because you were eating real, nutritious foods that promoted satiety. CICO still worked, you just had no idea you were doing it.

This.
            If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

• Whole Health Source: Is Sugar Fattening?

Comment

• So.....i'm a little confused. At the moment i'm totally over-eating on white rice. That's ok, I can stop. But as a 26 y/o athletic male, with lowish BF %, should I be basing my diet around starch such as potato and squash? Should I then lower my fat intake? It'd help perhaps if Taco could give a template of two days worth of eating, one from a higher carb/lower fat day, and one from a lower carb/higher fat day.

I basically eat too much butter. Cut out the wheat entirely(it really does have a huge effect), eating a banana here and there and local fruit, a shed load of potato*. The two things i'm worried about are not eating enough and inflammation. What i have noticed however, is that just as I could go for long stretches without eating on a lower carb/high fat diet, I can do the same on higher carb/lower fat, providing I have requisite protein.

* Plus animal protein of course, such as lamb, beef and eggs mostly. Pork over the last week even though i don't enjoy as much, but rather for the sake of variety.

Comment

• Why do you think you're overeating on rice? When I was morbidly obese and started Atkins, I ate everything in sight. From 330lbs to 220lbs or so I ate roughly 4000-6000 calories a day. Many people would say that's overeating, but it was still a deficit for me. The difference was that my meals weren't quite as crappy and processed as they had been (and still were much more so than they are now for me).

The reality is that very few people can honestly say they know exactly how many calories they need each day. If you're healthy and active you NEED more carbs than the sedentary Big Momma/Daddy Whomp Whomp's that think that a gram of sugar is the devil.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocco Hill View Post
                    At the moment i'm totally over-eating on white rice.
                    Doubtful, Okinawans eat nearly two pounds a day on average. It should only be considered overeating if it causes you to exceed your TDEE.
                    http://stackingplates.com/

Comment

Consider this: it takes up to four years to remove excess omega 6 polyunsaturated fat from your system.
                      Is there a source for this? I try to get quite a bit of ARA (omega 6) after a workout for the inflammatory effect on my muscles, especially since it's a conditionally essential fatty acid and helps with muscle growth: Arachidonic acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

edit: Well, I should have gone through the thread better. Thanks choco for pointing this post out to me! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...html#post81128
                      Last edited by archbox; 05-12-2012, 11:00 PM.
                      5'10", 140 lb, 21yo male. Primal for a year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Catharsis View Post
                        The reality is that very few people can honestly say they know exactly how many calories they need each day. If you're healthy and active you NEED more carbs than the sedentary Big Momma/Daddy Whomp Whomp's that think that a gram of sugar is the devil.
                        Holy crap, yes!

There is no one Number Above All Others that is how many calories you will burn. It varies from day to day depending on a thousand different things including (but not limited to) what you ate, your hormone levels, how much sleep you got, how active you were, what kind of activity you did, how your mood was, what meds you took, how much alcohol you drank, whether you had a headache or not, your current weight, your current bodyfat % and if your SO pissed you off or was in a good mood.

Seriously, it's incredibly variable. You can maybe average it out over the course of a month by trial and error, but it's definitely not something you can nail down.
                        Durp.

Comment

• Congratulations to me. I have read every single post from the very begining and am priviliged to all the information I have gathered.

A lot of credit has to go to ChocoTaco sharing his knowledge with us and the whole shabang!
                          Also first ever post on MDA been following for nearly a year and very priviliged.

Comment

• Originally posted by StackingPlates View Post
                            Doubtful, Okinawans eat nearly two pounds a day on average. It should only be considered overeating if it causes you to exceed your TDEE.
                            Do you mean the Japanese? The Japanese eat a great quantity of rice, and this does not sound inaccurate if applied to the traditional Japanese diet. However, for the traditional Okinawan diet, I am quite certain this is incorrect, unless it is data from a village that does not quite follow the traditional diet, a very wealthy prefecture, or information to reflect more modern diets, which does not reflect the traditional diet. I am half Okinawan and my family is from Okinawa. The main starch was a certain type of very dark purple sweet potato. Often a cup of rice would be added to a large soup, but the rice was always a minimal part of the diet. I am not making any statement as to whether rice is healthy or unhealthy, just clarifying something here about the traditional diet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gooner4eva49 View Post
                              Congratulations to me. I have read every single post from the very begining and am priviliged to all the information I have gathered.

Also first ever post on MDA been following for nearly a year and very priviliged.
                              Your first act on these forums was to rejuvenate this thread?

I vote ban.

Just kidding, and welcome.

Comment

I'm not responding to his quote, but I have a question for you choco. What is your opinion of the aging effect gluecose has on our bodies?
                                What Does Excess Glucose in the Bloodstream Do? | Wellness Hammock

I was going to quote Primal Mind Primal Body, but couldn't copy from my kindle. This site says the same. Would you not agree that sugar is a problem because of this?

Also, that excessive need to gain weight/ put muscle is against our evolutionary biology itself and purely for vanity reasons. Shouldn't we all strive to limit carbs? I'm not saying not eat veggies, because you can't really overeat fiberous veggies.
                                Last edited by Tom93084; 05-23-2012, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X