Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sugar Isn't The Problem. You're The Problem.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating Choco's way is still way way way better than the SAD. In fact, it may make it easier for people to transition to Primal by not completely cutting out carb sources like whole fruit and starches. By simply cutting out grains, refined sugars, etc., that person is already very well on their way to healthy eating.
    I don't think I'd call it "on the way to healthy eating".... I'd call it there. I don't think there is anything more optimal than eating a range of whole healthy foods and that eliminating fruits and good starches is a step away from an optimal diet. Fruit is more than carbs. Fruit is full of vitamins and minerals and antioxidants. These foods provide more than just fuel.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

• Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post

However, I don't see where uncephalized said anything about electrolyte? Just said that fat is far from empty calories, and your link tends to just prove that point. A, D, E, K....all in abundance and all quite relevant to health. So yes, far from empty calories....unlike granulated sugar which IS empty.
      Re-read uncephalized's post then.

No the links don't prove that at all, to anyone who's numerate with a logical mind. Coconut oil has no micronutrients None of the individual fats that uncephalized quoted has A, D, E and K in abundance. You're twisting the truth to make your argument look less weak.

Try comparing the micronutrient content of 500 calories worth of butter/olive oil/coconut oil against 500 calories of fruit or vegetables, or even white rice for that matter. I can't be bothered to talk you through a step-by-step comparison because you probably wouldn't get it.
      Last edited by paleo-bunny; 04-02-2012, 08:02 AM. Reason: clarification
      F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

• Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
        Re-read uncephalized's post then.

No the link doesn't prove that at all, for anyone who's numerate with a logical mind. Coconut oil has no micronutrients None of the individual fats that uncephalized quoted has A, D, E and K in abundance. You're twisting the truth to make your argument look less weak.

Try comparing the micronutrient content of 500 calories worth of butter/olive oil/coconut oil against 500 calories of fruit or vegetables, or even white rice for that matter. I can't be bothered to talk you through a step-by-step comparison because you probably wouldn't get it.
        Re-read it....nope I'm right :P sucks to be you. He says nothing of electrolytes which is exactly what I stated. And as to this "and butter has significant vitamin A, and that's about it.".......so D, K, and E are insignificant in these amounts? WHA??? Dunno why your jumping all over this, but it seems to be not worth my time to explain it to you any further except to list this for you then you.

Amounts Per Selected Serving
        %DV
        Vitamin A 5673 IU 113%
        Retinol 1523 mcg
        Retinol Activity Equivalent 1552 mcg
        Alpha Carotene 0.0 mcg
        Beta Carotene 359 mcg
        Beta Cryptoxanthin 0.0 mcg
        Lycopene 0.0 mcg
        Vitamin D 127 IU 32%
        Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol) 5.3 mg 26%
        Beta Tocopherol 0.0 mg
        Gamma Tocopherol 0.0 mg
        Delta Tocopherol 0.0 mg
        Vitamin K 15.9 mcg 20%
        Thiamin
        mg
        1%
        Riboflavin
        mg
        5%
        Niacin
        mg
        0%
        Vitamin B6
        mg
        0%
        Folate
        mcg
        2%
        Food Folate
        mcg

Folic Acid
        mcg

Dietary Folate Equivalents
        mcg

Vitamin B12
        mcg
        6%
        Pantothenic Acid
        mg
        2%
        Choline
        mg

Betaine
        mg

Comment

Re-read it....nope I'm right :P sucks to be you. He says nothing of electrolytes which is exactly what I stated. And as to this "and butter has significant vitamin A, and that's about it.".......so D, K, and E are insignificant in these amounts? WHA??? Dunno why your jumping all over this, but it seems to be not worth my time to explain it to you any further except to list this for you then you.

Amounts Per Selected Serving
          %DV
          Vitamin A 5673 IU 113%
          Retinol 1523 mcg
          Retinol Activity Equivalent 1552 mcg
          Alpha Carotene 0.0 mcg
          Beta Carotene 359 mcg
          Beta Cryptoxanthin 0.0 mcg
          Lycopene 0.0 mcg
          Vitamin D 127 IU 32%
          Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol) 5.3 mg 26%
          Beta Tocopherol 0.0 mg
          Gamma Tocopherol 0.0 mg
          Delta Tocopherol 0.0 mg
          Vitamin K 15.9 mcg 20%
          Thiamin
          mg
          1%
          Riboflavin
          mg
          5%
          Niacin
          mg
          0%
          Vitamin B6
          mg
          0%
          Folate
          mcg
          2%
          Food Folate
          mcg

Folic Acid
          mcg

Dietary Folate Equivalents
          mcg

Vitamin B12
          mcg
          6%
          Pantothenic Acid
          mg
          2%
          Choline
          mg

Betaine
          mg
          That proves nothing. Prove that I am wrong with a coherent post. Go on!

You can't do it.

You're living in a fantasy world.

By the way, let me educate you: electrolytes are minerals.
          Last edited by paleo-bunny; 04-02-2012, 08:25 AM.
          F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

• The idea that people are eating their way into vitamin/mineral deficiencies by adding too much Kerrygold to their food is a very, very dumb one.

Comment

• Originally posted by ss14 View Post
              The idea that people are eating their way into vitamin/mineral deficiencies by adding too much Kerrygold to their food is a very, very dumb one.
              You're entitled to your opinion, and in my opinion you are wrong, and very dumb, and very inobservant.

Comment

If you dont utilize bone broth in your cooking, and never salt any of your food, then sure there could be a potential issue. I would definitely recommend that those who eat food...not just low carb....eat the variety of foods like sardines with bone in, bone broth, sea vegetables and so on that get you all these. Heck throw in an epsom salt bath here and there while your at it.

So I should have said "issue easily solved" if you are eating a variety of traditionally prepared foods....but I get your point.

However, I don't see where uncephalized said anything about electrolyte? Just said that fat is far from empty calories, and your link tends to just prove that point. A, D, E, K....all in abundance and all quite relevant to health. So yes, far from empty calories....unlike granulated sugar which IS empty.
                I don't see the folks talking about eating primal carbs suggesting that it's a good idea to eat granulated sugar, so I'm not sure why you're throwing that in there. I think all of us agree that refined sugar isn't a healthy food choice.

The reality is that people can easily eat a lot more calories than they think by adding lots of fat, and although I agree that CI/CO is a poor model for fat loss, eating far more than one's daily energy needs will lead to the body storing some of it as fat. We don't have to fear fat, but it is important to be aware that those two tablespoons of butter in one's coffee (for example) are not neutral in terms of energy intake. It's not a straight CI/CO equation by any means, but exceeding your energy needs by a few hundred calories daily is going to have an effect long term. Many fat sources can provide nutrients we need, so absolutely, they are not "empty" calories, but they are easily overconsumed if one is not conscious that a tablespoon of butter contains 100 calories. If someone new to this board seizes on the notion of bulletproof coffee, they could easily add 400+ calories to their diet without really realizing it just in their morning coffee. Even if you are low carb, that's still a lot of extra energy that's likely to stall weight loss.

Originally posted by highaerials36 View Post
                Eating Choco's way is still way way way better than the SAD. In fact, it may make it easier for people to transition to Primal by not completely cutting out carb sources like whole fruit and starches. By simply cutting out grains, refined sugars, etc., that person is already very well on their way to healthy eating.
                Eating whole fruit and clean starches (starchy vegetables) is not simply a transition to primal; those foods ARE primal, at least according to the PB shopping list I have on my fridge and the posts on Mark's blog. We might need different levels of intake of those foods depending on our needs, but they are not transitional foods--they are primal foods that can be a great part of a healthy diet. The percentage of those foods in one's diet may vary, but even someone who's eating <50g of carbs can accommodate a sweet potato and still stay in that range.
                “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
                  You're entitled to your opinion, and in my opinion you are wrong, and very dumb, and very inobservant.
                  Wow.

Comment

• Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                    I don't think I'd call it "on the way to healthy eating".... I'd call it there. I don't think there is anything more optimal than eating a range of whole healthy foods and that eliminating fruits and good starches is a step away from an optimal diet. Fruit is more than carbs. Fruit is full of vitamins and minerals and antioxidants. These foods provide more than just fuel.
                    I meant getting used to that eating...I agree, it IS healthy eating. I worded it wrongly.
                    "Carbs are the victim, not the crime" - ChocoTaco

Comment

• Originally posted by highaerials36 View Post
                      I meant getting used to that eating...I agree, it IS healthy eating. I worded it wrongly.
                      Yes it IS healthy, balanced, unfaddy eating.

Comment

• Yep! I agree
                        "Carbs are the victim, not the crime" - ChocoTaco

Comment

• Originally posted by ss14 View Post
                          The idea that people are eating their way into vitamin/mineral deficiencies by adding too much Kerrygold to their food is a very, very dumb one.
                          roger dodger.

Comment

• @paleo-bunny:

You'll notice that I said "Whole-food fat, and even minimally processed oils (think quality olive oil or coconut oil or butter)". In no way did I imply that good oils are the best source of fat in terms of micronutrients, just they are not "empty". And when I referred to minerals I really should have been more clear in my meaning, which was that whole-food fat sources like whole coconut, meat, etc. have significant mineral content (don't tell me coconut oil and steak don't have electrolytes, because I know they do!). Your critique even listed the vitamins that are in olive oil and butter!

And coconut oil does not have a lot of vitamins, but it does have a wide profile of fatty acids that are good for your heart and metabolism. Grass-fed butter is full of CLA and omega-3s, both clearly nutrients that improve your health.

Vitamins and minerals are not the whole story.
                            Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncephalized View Post
                              @paleo-bunny:

You'll notice that I said "Whole-food fat, and even minimally processed oils (think quality olive oil or coconut oil or butter)". In no way did I imply that good oils are the best source of fat in terms of micronutrients, just they are not "empty". And when I referred to minerals I really should have been more clear in my meaning, which was that whole-food fat sources like whole coconut, meat, etc. have significant mineral content (don't tell me coconut oil and steak don't have electrolytes, because I know they do!). Your critique even listed the vitamins that are in olive oil and butter!

And coconut oil does not have a lot of vitamins, but it does have a wide profile of fatty acids that are good for your heart and metabolism. Grass-fed butter is full of CLA and omega-3s, both clearly nutrients that improve your health.

Vitamins and minerals are not the whole story.
                              I agree that whole food fats are better sources of micronutrients than olive oil, butter and coconut oil. I'd already stated that.

Coconut oil has no vitamins or minerals. Butter has A and K in much lower density per calorie than sweet potato or carrots (A) or green leafy veg (K). I eat butter, but its vitamin and mineral content is negligible in the context of my diet. Now, vitamin E deficiency is quite common, so of the three processed fats you mention, olive oil is the only one offering me any valuable micronutrient content.

My point still stands that butter, coconut oil and olive oil offer far fewer micronutrients per calorie compared to wholefoods, be they dairy, meat, fish, fruit or vegetables.

Yup we all know that vitamins and minerals are not the whole story. I never claimed that they were.

However, I see a lot of people obsessing over macronutrients at the expense of micronutrients.
                              Last edited by paleo-bunny; 04-02-2012, 09:29 AM. Reason: added last line

Comment

• No ur rong im rite

Comment

Working...
                                X