Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sugar Isn't The Problem. You're The Problem.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I still think there needs to be a distinction among among types of carbohydrates. Vegetables, and fruits have carbohydrates; as well as tubers. I'm only pointing this out, because vegetables, and fruits tend to get lost under the bigger umbrella of carbohydrates.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

• The difference that should be pointed out is that the low carb insulin resistance is a transient physiological response, and is actually quite normal and healthy when living low carb. Its not the pathological sort of insulin resistance that those who have metabolic syndrome suffer from. In fact low carb still improves the factors of systemic chronic insulin resistance. Please keep this straight as it is quite important.

Comment

• Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
        The difference that should be pointed out is that the low carb insulin resistance is a transient physiological response, and is actually quite normal and healthy when living low carb. Its not the pathological sort of insulin resistance that those who have metabolic syndrome suffer from. In fact low carb still improves the factors of systemic chronic insulin resistance. Please keep this straight as it is quite important.
        Thanks, for this, Neckhammer.
        If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

• I've been eating fairly isocaloric for the past week. Most of my carbs are coming from a couple big sweet potatoes. And I only eat one meal a day. The headaches are probably a combo of carb flu and lackluster weather.

Comment

• Two pertinent blog posts for the current discussion:

Low carb eating and physiological (vs. pathological) insulin resistance: Hyperlipid: Physiological insulin resistance and palmitic acid again

And: Archevore - Archevore Blog - No Such thing as a macronutrient part II - Carbohydrates*(revised)

Comment

• Originally posted by h4btrf5rx
              I still can't get my head around your "low carb diet makes you insulin resistant" comment either. From all my research and personal experience, its just the opposite.

Follow ydiewan's first link to Hyperlipid: Physiological insulin resistance and palmitic acid again. It is a rather short post, and gets right to the point. Its a physiological response to spare glucose for the few areas of the body that need it. Your muscles run fine on fat....so bam insulin resistance at muscle cells to save glucose for the brain. However, this isn't the systemic sort of insulin resistance you see with metabolic syndrome. Its very specific and smart and transient adaptation to low carbohydrate in the diet.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                It's simple - do you know that "Low Carb Flu" that people get when they first go Primal and get off the extremely high carb SAD? Well, the reason why they have this feeling is they are not metabolically flexible. They are not used to exercising their fat metabolism, only their glucose metabolism. It takes their body a few weeks to adjust and fire up the fat metabolism, just like it takes a few cranks to start up a diesel truck after a long, cold winter.
                I think this is the best reason for varying one's intake. If you run some days on carbs and other days on fats, you're exercising both metabolic pathways--sort of like plugging the diesel in when it's really cold so you can still get it running when you need it, you have to keep the fat burning and carb burning pathways functional and readily available so you can fire them up as needed.
                “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by tarek View Post
                  Best thread here in a while. The anti-carb tirade was getting a little ridiculous. I'm still amazed at the fact that people actually consider fruits to be "bags of sugar" or (my favorite) "nature's candy." Sure, if you're fixing your metabolism, you'll want to limit them. Once you're better, let the dogma go.

People are definitely more receptive of starch now than they were a year or two ago, but it seems like everyone is still reluctant to accept fruits. Look at the 80/10/10 crowd. They're not fat, they don't have diabetes, and many of them are extremely athletic. I don't think it's an ideal diet by any means, but clearly, all of those "bags of fructose" aren't causing degenerative disease. Mangoes don't make you diabetic any more than meat clogs your arteries.
                  +1

I agree 100% with you.
                  Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

• Originally posted by @lex View Post
                    Exactly.It's my hope that the paleo community will grow out of the low carb fear and stop putting carbs in the same category as grains and processed oils. I know not everyone does this, but some people certainly do.Anyone remember the older version of the paleo diet that completely excluded things like dairy,root vegetables,and fatty meats? New information was found that made that thinking obsolete and the newer version of the diet became the standard.I believe something similar is happening now where carbs are being shown in a better light and the true focus is on where the macro-nutrients come from and not the nutrients themselves,which is a great progression. Kurt Harris and Robb Wolf have stated that paleo is "macro-nutrient agnostic", or at least their version is, and others are arriving at similar conclusions like a lot of the folks in this thread.
                    +1

Comment

• I had lots of good food today. Chili made with ground beef, beef liver, chicken liver, and lots of vegetables. Greek yogurt with canned pumpkin. I at enormous portions, but all those good sources of fat, protein, carbs, vitamins, and minerals are making me feel great. Time to go for a relaxing fast before lifting tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                        Trust yourself. I refuse to believe that any fruit or vegetable is bad for me. I eat the meats I like. I enjoy my dairy- I may not be "optimal" but I am a lot better than I was before. Eat what you believe in and what makes you feel good in an amount that meets your weight needs. I actually DON'T research.... paralysis by analysis.

For example- I was eating the hell out of bacon and made the decision that bacon while yummy was not something I wanted to be a staple. So I stopped buying it. I was avoiding bananas and decided it was stupid- I like a banana. A banana is not an oreo.

I think DIVERSITY in your diet is key- if all you eat are walnuts, bacon and avocado, the negative aspects of those foods probably do matter. But if you eat them along with a zillion other foods, the negatives matter less. All 3 of those are good foods. A few walnuts in a spinach salad, a piece of bacon with your eggs, some avocado in a salsa for your fish is great.....
                        +1

Trust yourself more than anyone else. And realize that "perfect health" is not something to strive for IMO. Realize health includes stress, sleep, social life, joy, happiness, fitness, etc. It's not all about food and nutrition!

Comment

• Originally posted by Primal Toad View Post
                          +1

Trust yourself more than anyone else. And realize that "perfect health" is not something to strive for IMO. Realize health includes stress, sleep, social life, joy, happiness, fitness, etc. It's not all about food and nutrition!
                          Indeed.

It's easy to find examples of people that have eventually ruined their health in the single-minded pursuit of optimal or "perfect" health. It's amazing how someone can blissfully eat SAD for 10 years, switch to primal or paleo, then act like eating a banana is the equivalent of putting a loaded gun in their mouth. I think we could all benefit from tossing out our dogma and not bickering over things that amount to minor differences in the long run. We all eat real food, and we've all made steps towards being healthier and achieving our goals, so does it really matter if one of us eats more or less carbs than the other?
                          Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
                          CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Comment

Holy crap, yes!
                            Durp.

Comment

+1

+10000
                              Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

• +∞

Comment

Working...
                                X