Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leangains... Is this right? (Critique of my plan please)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leangains... Is this right? (Critique of my plan please)

Okay, this leangains this is exactly my thang and I'm totally into it (and have sorta been doing it for a while now).

11pm to 7am (Sleep Fast)
    7am to 2pm (More Fast)
    2pm - Whey Protein Shake + Fish Oil and Potassium
    5:30pm - Dinner (Always paleo Approved except for 2x a month = Carb Reload)
    7:00pm - Training (Sunday, Tuesdays, & Thursdays)
    other than that fast until 2pm

So my daily fast will be about 6pm to 2pm (broke for protein shake)

I've been told I am over-training and need to give myself time for rest and recover so I think Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday would be good days for training (heavy lifting, etc). Two times a month I will do a carb refeed on a Thursday to throw things up.

How would you rate this plan?

I am floating between 200 and 204 lbs and want to get down further (well honestly don't give an eff about the number)... I just wanna loose more fat (thighs and belly especially) and gain more muscle. Only a couple years ago I was pushing 300 lbs.
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

Oh and what is BCAA? Can i purchase it at like a regular pharmacy where I get my other supplements?

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

Comment

Branch Chain Amino Acids

Comment

Originally posted by mikebyron View Post
        Branch Chain Amino Acids
        Are they like... in pill form? Where do I get them?

Comment

Hi there,
          BCAA comes in powder or pill form. You can get it just about anywhere. It often also contains l-glutamine.
          Be aware that many of the powders come with sucralose, so check the labels. Vitamins Shoppe seems to have a decent one.
          I just discovered leangains as well. I'm trying to figure it all out too.
          Have you figured out the workout yet?
          sg

Comment

Well i figured the workout would be the same as the primal approved workout... heavy lifting, short but sweet, squats, deadlifts, etc...

Comment

I'm no Leangains guru, but the outlines look good to me.
              Lifting Journal

Comment

Leangains isn't just about fasting. You need to cycle your macronutrients on the rest/workout days to promote fat loss and then muscle growth. So you say you're only doing carb refeeds twice per month, when on Leangains you should be doing them on every workout day. So for example, on workout days you'd eat high protein high carb with little to no fat, and on rest days just eat regular Primal with less than 100 carbs a day.

I've been doing it for about a month and my results aren't the best, but I'm also not counting my calories. Here's the perfect link to figure out your needs based on the day Leangains style: IF Calculator

If you want to change your body composition, it's usually a 20/20 split, meaning you're eating 20% less calories than maintenance on rest days and 20% more on workoutdays (the carb heavy days). Most people if bulking do 10/30..30/10 seems ridiculous imo but maybe 20/10 could work well for you if you're still trying to lose more weight.

You should get the BCAAs in powder form..I'm using Xtend Watermelon flavor and that stuff tastes DELICIOUS. I actually look forward to drinking it pre-workout while fasted.

Anyways, I hope this helps you out and clears up some things for you. Keep in mind that white rice is your best friend for post workout meals..hitting your macros without rice is going to be extremely difficult (at least it is for me). Good luck!
                Primal since September, 2011
                LeanGains IF
                -----
                Conquer your own world and become the leader of your own life
                Inner Gladiator

How To Never Get Sick (And Add 72,000 Hours To Your Life)

Comment

So on workout days I should be doing high carb, low fat, high protein...
                  and then on regular days I should be doing low carb, high fat, high protein...

Comment

I wonder about this stuff. I'm just straight up losing weight while trying to keep up my strength, so I can go back on SS without buying a whole new work wardrobe. I've lost maybe 15 lb in about 6 weeks, eating between noon and 8 and generally keeping carbs low, and doing the lifts from SS but usually not making them all so not progressing in weight. It's kind of a cut rate, non-obsessive leangainsy plan of my own. I'm always sore after workouts now whereas when I was eating enough to fuel the gains I was never sore.
                    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

While you certainly can get BCAA in pill form, you need to take 3 x 10 grams a day and that's a ton of pills. I get my BCAA from truenutrition.com's custom mix. Its a great price and you can make it how you like.

One note of caution: Unless you spring for Xtends or something like that, it's almost guaranteed to taste awful. Xtends is delicious, but its expensive and full of who knows what. Mix it with as little water as possible and just get it down.

Comment

Yes that is correct. High Carb / Moderate Protein on lifting days. Low Carb / High Protein on training days. Martin also advocates eating your largest meal post workout. Depending on your goal you alter your total daily calories accordingly. Basic body recomp is +/-20% lifting / non lifting.
                        "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

This may also be helpful if you haven't read it: The Leangains Guide | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

The important points have already been brought up: higher calories and carbs (and lower fat) on workout days. Most of your calories and carbs in the post-workout meal. Lower calories and carbs on rest days.

I've been following a Leangains plan for about a year now with good results.

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                            This may also be helpful if you haven't read it: The Leangains Guide | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

The important points have already been brought up: higher calories and carbs (and lower fat) on workout days. Most of your calories and carbs in the post-workout meal. Lower calories and carbs on rest days.

I've been following a Leangains plan for about a year now with good results.
                            Awesome, it seems to be a good way to push through and gain muscle now that i'm at 90 lbs lost and just have about 20 lbs fat left to lose!

Comment

The toughest part of Leangains for me is the up/down of calories. Counting calories is totally foreign to me but I want to get an idea for what I'm eating. The interesting thing I notice when reading other people's journals is that on low fat days you seem to eat more bulk but a lot less 'calories' due to the fat being so low. Then, on rest days, where you're supposed to eat less cals, you might run into issues if you're too liberal with the fat.

However, I want to give it an honest shot, most likely at the beginning of March when I should, hopefully, be living just with my gf, as opposed to my entire family who prepares deliciously fatty/carby meals all the time that I'm too nice to turn down... besides, I want to milk this not cooking thing for as long as I can...

Definitely spend some time familiarizing yourself with how many cals approximately your "go to" meals contain, and allocate accordingly to rest vs active days.

Personally, I can't wait to eat ceviche as a post workout meal with boiled white or sweet potatoes!! I'll also be reintroducing an old OLD favorite that I never thought I'd eat again: plain white rice with plain tuna and some pico de gallo. That's the only thing I knew how to put together as a kid, open can, put rice, chop onions and tomatoes together: enjoy...
                              I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Working...
                              X