The Dairy Dilemma!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dairy Dilemma!

When someone "cuts out" dairy and finds magical weight loss has ensued- is that just from calorie reduction ( due to not eating , cheese, butter, etc etc etc) or is dairy really straight up the devil and will cause weight gain?

Thoughts & personal experience anyone? I know people also claim other health benefits such as reduced bloating, skin etc etc.

High lactose dairy can cause large insulin spikes which can set off sugar cravings. Cow's milk casein (protein) can cause inflammation and irritate the gut, also the exorphins released can be addictive, causing highs followed by lows with sugar cravings.

There's a lot of individual variation. I find that low-lactose goat's cheese and butter aid fat loss and muscle gain.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Well for one,I think "drinking your calories" is a great way to gain weight,and if you drink a lot of milk and suddenly replace that with water or tea you'll be cutting out a lot of extra calories and so on.Personally I never really drank much milk,but going so far as to cut out whole cheese and butter is something I refuse to do,even if it would help me lose weight somehow.
      Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
      CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Comment

Originally posted by @lex View Post
        Well for one,I think "drinking your calories" is a great way to gain weight,and if you drink a lot of milk and suddenly replace that with water or tea you'll be cutting out a lot of extra calories and so on.Personally I never really drank much milk,but going so far as to cut out whole cheese and butter is something I refuse to do,even if it would help me lose weight somehow.
        I agree about drinking calories. Also, drinking milk in teas and coffees in between meals is snacking, and snacking is best avoided.
        F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I think it depends. Some cut dairy and do not replace those calories with other foods. Some do. Personally, I haven't cut dairy - I handle it fine. I generally don't drink milk, though. Most of my dairy is yogurt, butter, cheese, a splash of heavy cream in my tea - and the occasional ice cream. The bulk of my consumption is cheese and butter, so perhaps that may be why I've not had much issue with it.

Comment

Some people find they are not as tolerant of certain foods like dairy as they thought. Hidden intolerances can hinder weight loss because they of inflammation and stress on the body.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I cut out heavy cream, which I used to have in tea quite a lot in the mornings, never really realizing I was basically eating through my fast. Now it's just straight up tea and I leave the cream for after I've eaten (if I feel like it, haven't had it in quite a while actually) and I've noticed a bit of fat loss but I wouldn't say cream is EVIL, it's just best not abused, as with everything.

For what it's worth, I use butter in cooking quite a lot, never make greens without butter..
              I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I really need to ask how much are we talking here? My max is about two fluid ounces a day of half & half in my coffee, or a couple of pats of Kerrygold in my BP coffee, and that is it. Is that going to inhibit my weight loss goals? Maybe a stick of string cheese a couple times a week with lunch. I would really like to know how much other posters are consuming a day (if any) in grams, ounces or cups? For me, I am still losing weight weekly towards my goal and consuming dairy, but I think it is considered very little per day. Thoughts?

Comment

I cut out all dairy except butter for a paleo challenge at my gym. Looking through my food logs, I'm pretty sure I've replaced that intake with other foods (I don't track calories though). I have lost nine pounds and quite a bit of fat, and this weekend I fit into a fabulous, very slim tailored wool dress that I haven't been able to wear in four years. Three weeks ago when I tried to zip it up, there was no way it was going to go, but on Sunday when I went to put it on for a formal brunch, it zipped with no problems at all, and I got loads of compliments (and some shocked faces at my plate piled with eggs, bacon, more bacon, and fruit).

I think dairy is okay for me for maintenance, but I was stalled for a while, and dropping dairy seems to have done the trick to get my fat loss going again. I have not cut back carbs--if anything, I may be eating more since I was using mainly cream, Greek yogurt, and full-fat cheese, which I think I've replaced with more (gasp!) paleo baking in the form of banana-cado pudding, pumpkin custard, and so on. My avocado intake is definitely up from where it was, as is my fruit intake in general.
                  “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

I cut out dairy because only 1tbsp of heavy cream and 2oz of 2% milk every morning in my coffee
                    would leave me with a stuffy, runny nose and a sneezing MESS all freaking day. Seriously, snot faucet,
                    from THAT LITTLE DAIRY! So lame!

I really didn't believe it, but after even only 3 days without that in my coffee, I was kleenex and nasal spray
                    free. Ho hum.

Replaced it with 40g of canned (thick stuff) coconut milk instead now and still snot faucet free.

I didn't experience any weight drop from it though, so obviously the only part of my body that was
                    allergic to it was the sinuses, and the caloric difference from dairy to coconut milk was nil.

I don't miss the dairy, and I certainly don't miss putting Kleenex's children through college.

Julie

Comment

this is something i'll have to try. i'm a fruit junkie, and the last few weeks have gotten my fruit consumption down to 1, maybe 2 servings a day of either berries or grapefruit. to deal with the cravings, though, i have been eating a lot more heavy cream, greek yogurt, and homemade kefir. i notice more bloating, and am certainly not losing any fat. time to slowly dial back dairy!

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
                        High lactose dairy can cause large insulin spikes which can set off sugar cravings. Cow's milk casein (protein) can cause inflammation and irritate the gut, also the exorphins released can be addictive, causing highs followed by lows with sugar cravings.

There's a lot of individual variation. I find that low-lactose goat's cheese and butter aid fat loss and muscle gain.
                        This. Plus lactose is more difficult to digest as we age and don't produce lactase. Lactose is a saccharid (type of sugar) that is not meant to be digested by humans in large amounts. Trying to digest it can cause bloating. Form amny, when they eliminate cow's milk, the bloating clears thier system in a week or two and "bingo!" the weight goes down! Magic!

Like Paleo-Bunny, I am a fan of goat milk products. I put goat milk and goat milk yogurt in my protein shakes and make goat cheese. Much lower lactose, small fat globules and easier to break down, much lower in sugar and no bloating. The most similar food to human breast milk.

Comment

I just wish that goat's milk didn't have that "barnyard" aftertaste.

Tastes so good going down, but then, blech!

Could just be me though.

Comment

Originally posted by corndogibm View Post
                            I really need to ask how much are we talking here? My max is about two fluid ounces a day of half & half in my coffee, or a couple of pats of Kerrygold in my BP coffee, and that is it. Is that going to inhibit my weight loss goals? Maybe a stick of string cheese a couple times a week with lunch. I would really like to know how much other posters are consuming a day (if any) in grams, ounces or cups? For me, I am still losing weight weekly towards my goal and consuming dairy, but I think it is considered very little per day. Thoughts?
                            Short answer. Probably not. You are not consuming enouhg to make a difference and if you are having no issues with bloating or gas or other types of inflammation then I'd say good to go. Back when I was discovered to have a lactose sensitivity 8 years ago, anthing with cow's milk would set it off. Iwasn't drinking a lot of milk but a little in my coffee and maybe a slice of cheese with lunch and that was it. For me that was too much but that's an extreme. BTW, butter and yogurt tend not to be culprits. The butter making process and the fermentation of yogurt solves most of the problem.

Comment

I think it all depends on the person, and what you are comfortable eating. Myself, I pop a few ounces of heavy cream when I need to boost my fat intake. I also drink a cup of whole milk an hour or so after my workouts. I eat cheese as well and lots of butter. I haven't had an issue with weight loss slowing. Now, a tequila binge usually sets me back a couple of days though... (Crystal Light came out with a sugar-free margarita-flavored mix that works real well with tequila)
                              Started 9/15/11 at 323 pounds
                              2/16/13 at 241 pounds
                              Goal is 223 pounds or less

Comment

Working...
                              X