No announcement yet.

The Dairy Dilemma!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double/Heavy cream is delicious, but turns to cement in my guts So I had to stop eating it. Butter is fine though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerseyjim View Post
      Hmm, guess I need to do some label comparisons. Thanks!
      6oz of Oikos or Chobani Vanilla is 19 grams of carbs, strawberry is 22g. Half what I initially stated, but still 1/4 of my daily carbs. Maybe you guys citing 8g could tell me what brands you are referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by Jerseyjim View Post
        6oz of Oikos or Chobani Vanilla is 19 grams of carbs, strawberry is 22g. Half what I initially stated, but still 1/4 of my daily carbs. Maybe you guys citing 8g could tell me what brands you are referring to?
        You need to buy plain, unflavoured Greek Yoghurt. Those flavoured ones have extra added sugar. And the proper, strained, Greek Yoghurt has the least amount of carbs. I eat Total full-fat Greek Yoghurt - 3.8g of carbs per 100g of yoghurt.

Comment

I eat Greek Gods Plain. 5g carbs for 4 oz. 11g fat (7g saturated!) and 4g. protein for 130 calories.

Aren't Oikos and Chobani nonfat anyway? Plus, with flavored yogurt, you're getting more carbs from the sugar they add to sweeten it.

Comment

I've been experimenting with the dairy, which I love. I found that it's super easy to eat too much cheese, so I nixed it for now as I want to lose weight. I don't seem to want milk and I enjoy water and herbal teas plain, so I figured why add it.

However, I do sautee in grass fed butter daily, use full fat yogurt on my cooked vegetables, and use cream on berries or alone as dinner's dessert. I'm sure hoping that doesn't cause a weight stall, but I guess time will tell. My first month all-primal weigh date is 2/16. I feel like I'm losing. Everyone says I am (but I'm surrounded by a lot of people who love me), so the scale and measurements will have to be the objective result. Kind of scary. Giving up all dairy? Hmmm! That would be hard for me.

Comment

It doesn't have to be 'termed' Greek either. In my store, a generic 3% Fat yogurt has no crap added to it, and have a better nutritional break-down for carbs/protein than 3 or 4 brands of Greek Yogurt, ALL of which have guar gum and gelatin or something, something, added. Now, I don't eat dairy, but I buy the 3% yogurt instead of paying premium on Greek for my kid.
              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Greek just means it's been strained. You can make your own yogurt at home, and strain it yourself, it's very easy. Takes about 12-18 hours sitting in an empty oven with the pilot light on, or maybe on a shelf above a warm radiator, then needs to set overnight. I might make some tomorrow for a changeup from my Fage.
                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

I have found that strangely my tolerance for butter increases as my fiber intake decreases. The combo of butter and fiber for me is like pouring paste into my gut. Butter alone is okay.
                  Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
                  Friend me on "The Facebook"
                  Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I'll be more aware of which brand I purchase going forward.

Maybe someday I'll graduate to making my own...

Comment

Greek just means it's been strained. You can make your own yogurt at home, and strain it yourself, it's very easy. Takes about 12-18 hours sitting in an empty oven with the pilot light on, or maybe on a shelf above a warm radiator, then needs to set overnight. I might make some tomorrow for a changeup from my Fage.
                      If you are making your own kefir, quark is an option as well. I love home made quark. I like it better than yogurt, because I grew up with it. Once I had the option, I din't want yogurt....

I am still unsure though whether to put dairy back in or not ????

Comment

It greek yogurt considered raw? Or does it matter since it's fermented? Where can you buy raw dairy products?

Comment

Raw is another word for unpasteurized. Probably any yogurt you can easily find is pasteurized, and in fact, I'm not so sure that raw milk yogurt is a great idea. That's a LOT of bacteria! Lots could go wrong. Raw milk is best drunk very very fresh.
                          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

I miss milk...

Comment

I am on the fence with dairy... good to hear everyone's experiences. I still like a little heavy cream in the a.m. coffee and use it weekly in soups or sauces... and I use cheese more as a condiment than anything else, but it is a condiment I greatly enjoy! I also have a small, say half cup, serving of full fat greek yogurt several times a week. But I might try cleansing all of this out at some point to see if that makes any difference in my overall health. I have to be honest, my goals here are modest... I like to be strong and fit and enjoy body conscious clothes (way to go Owly!!) but I'm really not motivated toward extra ripping & leaning out above & beyond that.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with fermented raw dairy, that's why they fermented it, to prevent spoilage and use it for longer. But, in a lot of countries raw is simply not an option. I live in Canada, and it is illegal to sell raw milk.

Comment

Working...
                                X