carbs are for lazy folk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carbs are for lazy folk

My mom, at just over 3 weeks wheat free with reduced sugar and bad oils - while not primal - was doing remarkably well for someone who is extremely set in her ways. She has seen marked improvement in her IBS, blood pressure and arthritis pain. Today, went to the kitchen and made herself a sandwich for lunch, with chocolate buscuit and pkt of crisps/chips.

'why!?' I asked, 'You've been doing so well!'

Because I don't know what else to have, she said. And shrugged.

Her options were plenty, frozen veg soup in the freezer, bacon, eggs, avocado, salad, even tinned tuna...

But they all involved preparation, cooking, and washing up...

It made me realize how easy it is to grab carbs... a granola bar, a sandwich, breakfast cereal... Do we only like eating them because they are so EASY and we are so LAZY?
    SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
    “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

They're a quick fix and contain a ton of sugar and processed junk that gives us some weird sort of food high.I myself frequently decided to grab garbage food instead of cooking something because "meh,I don't feel like cooking",and that kind of eating is great way to pack on the pounds and feel like crap.Processed carbs are an easily available source of calories and a poor source of nutrition,the only reason we like them are because they're easy to grab and usually have some semi-addictive properties.Ever see someone try to cut out processed sugar cold turkey? They look miserable.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Comment

I have a friend with diabetes who has asked me how I lost weight, what my partner and I eat - and he understood the ideas of cutting out grains / oils etc. BUT - he hasn't done it, because "a sandwich is so easy at lunch time". So I think you are right. Sadly.

Comment

We have simply become too used to convenience. What is easy for us is not necessarily good for us. I have started to ask myself when I want to venture down that convenient path, "is this really what me body wants?". It usually does the trick to rethink my choices.
        “Life is a journey, not a destination.”
        ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

SW (January 2011): 208.5
        LPW (March 23, 2013): 156.0
        CW (July, 4, 2013): 172

Comment

It is sad that people will go for something they know isn't good for their health just out of convenience.I'm still confused why people don't realize that food you actually took the time to cook yourself and prepare to your specific tastes is so much more delicious than something that was extruded onto a conveyor belt and fried in heart attack juice.
          Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Comment

Yes, processed foods are extremely convenient but I don't think that's the main reason people choose them. After all, an apple sitting in a fruit basket on your kitchen table is pretty convenient too, as are macadamia nuts sitting in a jar, a can of sardines, an avocado, etc. Hell, frying up a few eggs takes about 5 minutes, and is usually less hassle than making a sandwich, IMO.

I think for most people the processed food diet has more to do with it's addictive properties, and with peoples' long-ingrained habits than anything. But you're right, the fact that it is all very convenient and easy certainly doesn't help.

Comment

VLC/Primal is difficult to follow, especially if you make the effort to get all your stuff organic and grass-fed. About the only way I can do it is to spend every single Saturday going to the farmer's market, then going to the natural foods store for stuff the market didn't have, then spending the afternoon cleaning, chopping, cooking, portionining, and freezing my meals for the whole week. Saturday is GONE, but at least I don't have to do much the rest of the week.
              Last edited by oxide; 02-06-2012, 06:47 AM. Reason: for clarity
              5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

I think allocating time for meal preparation is really important for anyone transitioning to primal/paleo. When I started I would always think I had 'no time' to cook, but that was simply because I would go to make my meal at the same time as I would have previously, often 5 minutes before I had to be doing something else, when I would have thrown something in the microwave for 2 mins. Now, I realise that I have to stop what I'm doing about 20 minutes before I want to eat, so that I have time to prepare something yummy and healthy. And now it's become habit, and doesn't seem like it's taking a chunk out of my time at all!

Comment

Make sure she has some meals that don't have a lot of prep time. When I dont feel like cooking or have nothing defrosted, an omelet or hard boiled eggs or tuna is quick and easy.

I dont know about sandwhich for convenience argument, you could just eat it without the bread. They just want to eat their bread.
                  Last edited by activia; 02-06-2012, 07:02 AM.
                  Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

Carbs are for lazy folk who haven't discovered bullet proof coffee!
                    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Any processed food is convenient. Duh. But, I figure, if you are too lazy or too busy to cook your own meals (and stretch), you gotta revise your priorities in life. 'tis all.

Case in point:my husband's weight went up again this week, back to 194. When I asked him what was up, he said, they had a new pastry chief in school and s/he showcased his/her talents on Friday with, well, pastries. Sometimes I wonder if he will ever get to normal weight. I know it's not a priority for him, but he doesn't even have a sweet tooth, really. How strong is that idiotic hold on people, of sugar/flour and free, accessible food?!
                      Last edited by Leida; 02-06-2012, 07:35 AM.
                      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I find that I spend time preparing instead of doing meaningless things. I have cut back on my TV and computer time and prepare food and clean the kitchne instead. In fact I do more kitchen cleaning now then I ever have due tot he fact that my kitchen is not huge and dirty dishes to be washed take up precious counter space. I spend far more time doing constructive things.

I find I spend more time with my family too when I am cooking and preparing. They are usually there in the kitchen either preparing food, eating, or my 4 y/o daughter will hover around the cutting board when I am cutting veggies and sneak them as I am chopping. I read her the riot act every time she does this but I am always careful to watch for that little hand shooting in to grab a pepper slice.

Cooking and preparing good whole foods is a paradigm shift that most people are loathe to suffer.
                        Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Comment

I'm lucky in the sense that I enjoy cooking a lot and take pride in making some delicious food from a bunch of raw ingredients.I know a lot of people that hate cooking and see even a meal that takes 15 minutes to cook as a pain.My girl used to be like that,one example being this:

"Hey babe,why are you eating that Chinese food...I just bought a bunch of stuff from the store."

"Yeah,but you have to cook that and I don't want to,so I just ordered beef and broccoli"

"I cooked steak last night,and we have broccoli and the ingredients for the sauce...you could have made it just by boiling some water and mixing some things"

"I hate waiting for water to boil,it always takes to long and it's annoying"

Luckily things have changed around here,and she's starting to actually cook things for herself instead of defaulting to garbage.It also helps that i do the shopping and stopped buying things she can just grab and binge on.

Comment

Remember we are talking processed grains not carbs (although they are very very high carb). Big food companies are making it harder to buy anything without wheat, salt and high fructose corn syrup because they know how addictive it can be and once they have you hooked....
                            Make sure she has lots of veg on hand, for lunch a quick salad with tuna, olive oil and balsamic vinegar - lovely. Or make large portions of soup in individual containers for a quick defrost.
                            Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                            PS
                            Don't forget to play!

Comment

my mom is proud of her laziness :C

and yes, she's a carb head. lol

(she was even in the womb for 10 months before they had to give my Gran a Csec! lol my mom is always saying she's been lazy since before birth)

But I feel it. It is easier to grab carbs. This weekend, I was getting super hungry for lunchy, and we had leftover pizza in the fridge (busted!) and hunny was telling me to just eat pizza, but I didn't want to! We had eggs, so I made those instead. but it wouldve been so much easier to just eat the pizza. but i wouldnt have felt as good! i guess the price you pay for the convenience catches up with you later

Comment

Working...
                              X