Paleo diet cures MS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paleo diet cures MS

I saw this video on Food Renegade.com. Here is a doctor who tried the conventional cures for MS and after years of decline decided to do some research into what dietary needs our brains have and then joined the paleo journey to health. This is an excellent video to send to all your friends that have MS. Since I live in the NW I know quite a few.

Reversing MS Through Dietary Changes | Food Renegade

This is a great video - concise, credible, watchable. First she cured herself of MS and then she did a research study using a paleo diet to treat MS for other patients and says to stay tuned for results which will be presented at a neurology conference soon - she promises the results are "mind boggling" (or similar term). Here is the gist of the diet she created to heal herself:

3 cups green leafy veg per day
    3 cups sulfur rich veg per day (cruciferous, onion, mushroom, asparagus)
    Brightly colored veg and fruit daily
    organ meat weekly
    seaweed weekly
    grass fed and wild caught meat, seafood, eggs daily.

Only thing she didn't really discuss was types of fats she eats.

Well worth a watch! thanks!

Comment

This story has been posted before~ that's when I first read it~ I'm really glad to see it up here again~ it is so important, I think it should be a sticky!

Comment

I had not seen this video, but it's truly inspiring. It's making me want to eat some more leafy greens and put more effort into eating organ meat.
        My art blog.

Comment

Dr Wahls has NOT cured herself, she has stopped the progression of her MS and improved it to the point she can now walk, ride a bike etc. But she still can't run or do her martial arts. Her diet has paleo as it's base but it goes way beyond paleo, doing just paleo won't get the results she has had. She calls it the WAHLS protocol. You need to join her on facebook to get the real story. The fats she eats and recommends are grass fed butter, lard, coconut oil and olive oil, as she says the brain is 60-70% percent fat so it is vital that we eat saturated fats. Also omega 3 fatty acids are absoluetly vital for a healthy brain.
          Last edited by Raine; 02-05-2012, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Raine View Post
            Dr Wahls has NOT cured herself, she has stopped the progression of her MS and improved it to the point she can now walk, ride a bike etc. But she still can't run or do her martial arts. Her diet has paleo as it's base but it goes way beyond paleo, doing just paleo won't get the results she has had. She calls it the WAHLS protocol. You need to join her on facebook to get the real story. The fats she eats and recommends are grass fed butter, lard, coconut oil and olive oil, as she says the brain is 60-70% percent fat so it is vital that we eat saturated fats. Also omega 3 fatty acids are absoluetly vital for a healthy brain.
            +1

Comment

Title was to get peoples attention.

Comment

Complaining that someone with MS, formerly wheelchair bound, cannot do martial arts is, to put it kindly, nitpicking, and her diet is absolutely compatible with paleo - it's just more detailed. It's a great story.
                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

I am looking forward to hearing how their study worked.

Comment

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
                    Complaining that someone with MS, formerly wheelchair bound, cannot do martial arts is, to put it kindly, nitpicking, and her diet is absolutely compatible with paleo - it's just more detailed. It's a great story.
                    Hardly, it is not nitpicking at all, it is stating the actual facts which are VERY important to everyone with a serious disease that is interested in Dr Wahls. You have obviously never suffered from a serious disease that has robbed you of your normal life. There is a massive difference between cured and halting the progression of a disease. It is extremely cruel to tell people that are seriously ill, that a diet will cure them, when it hasn't cured anyone. They end up blaming themselves and becoming depressed when it doesn't happen. Dr Wahls has also said on facebook that if she goes off the plan slightly her symptoms go down hill again.

The actual facts need to be clearly stated if people are to benefit from her diet.
                    Last edited by Raine; 02-06-2012, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Raine View Post
                      Hardly, it is not nitpicking at all, it is stating the actual facts which are VERY important to everyone with a serious disease that is interested in Dr Wahls. You have obviously never suffered from a serious disease that has robbed you of your normal life. There is a massive difference between cured and halting the progression of a disease. It is extremely cruel to tell people that are seriously ill, that a diet will cure them, when it hasn't cured anyone. They end up blaming themselves and becoming depressed when it doesn't happen. Dr Wahls has also said on facebook that if she goes off the plan slightly her symptoms go down hill again.

The actual facts need to be clearly stated if people are to benefit from her diet.
                      +1 I agree you have to tell folks that it halts the progression of disease not a cure.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue View Post
                        +1 I agree you have to tell folks that it halts the progression of disease not a cure.
                        I agree that we need to be very careful using the word "cure".
                        But her way of eating apparently did more than halt the progression though, right? It reversed it somewhat too.
                        I haven't watched it for a while, but in her presentation didn't Dr. Wahls say that she was absent of all symptoms, maybe measures which indicate the presence of the disease? If she did, wouldn't that be a cure?
                        (I must watch it again, bookmarked for this evening).

It's similar to obese diabetics who eat primal, lose weght, get blood glucose numbers under control, get off meds etc. to the point where if tested they have no symptoms. Are they cured? Or just because we know that if they go back to eating how they did before their diabetes would reappear, we can't say they were cured? Are we saying that the disease is hiding there waiting to make a come back, rather than doing this has cured it but if you do what caused it in the first place again then it will happen again?
                        If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Here are the results of her initial study on the WAHLS protocol on MS patients, it should also be noted that Dr Wahls also used neuromuscular electrical stimulation, but credits mostly the diet for helping her :

http://www.abstractsonline.com/Plan/ViewAbstract.aspx?mID=2773&sKey=09785855-9734-496b-b682-d5b790e3eb46&cKey=4f661b9f-223e-44e7-89cd-c464d1222d6d&mKey={8334BE29-8911-4991-8C31-32B32DD5E6C8}

Also this is her on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-W...50956531629073 There is heaps of info on here that isn't on the rest of the net. It can be a bit confusing until you read all of what she has to say, she absolutely is not cured.

Comment

Thanks for the additional info Raine.

Comment

I have her book Minding My Midochondria. I will be very happy to just stop the progression and I am so determined to do all that I can yet it is so daunting! I simply can't imagine eating that many vegetables each day for one thing but I will certainly try! I like kale chips, make them quite often and smoothies are a great way for me to get my greens as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X