No announcement yet.

Paleo diet cures MS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A friend of a friend started eating like this when first diagnosed (about 11 years ago). Symptoms went away and as an extra bonus, she's at her high school weight. I don't know if she can do martial arts.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

My wife has stopped her MS progression on a diet that is very similar, with a heavy emphases on animal fats.

Comment

I watched that video a while back and noticed she mentioned consuming seaweed once a week. But she didn't say how much, and since it's not something we normally eat here as part of our cuisine, I was wondering if anyone has more specific information about what she might recommend.

3-1/2 ounces of fresh, frozen, or rehydrated dried seaweed is a lot to eat at once.

Comment

Just like there's no one right way to eat for everyone, there is no single way to 'cure' or 'halt the progression' of MS. In fact, the MS forums are filled with dozens of different interventions people have used to improve/eliminate their symptoms that have nothing to do with diet whatsoever.

I think that Dr. Wahls is a very admirable pioneer, and that her experience and research is profoundly important and sadly lacking in this field. I hope that her contributions are recognized in the mainstream.

However, I do have to say that her diet was a complete disaster for me. I've had MS for about 7 years. My symptoms were mild after I cut out gluten and dairy, but upon adopting the style of eating she recommends, my health began a very noticeable decline. My hypothyroid symptoms got severe, my IBS was the worst it's ever been in my life, and my mood was so unstable that I seriously considered going on anti-depressants.

All those problems improved when I ELIMINATED those vegetables she promotes, and greatly increased my consumption of starches and cane sugar (both of which she vehemently opposes). Now that I no longer follow her diet, my health is the best it's been in years.

I'm sure her protocol is a godsend for some people, but it is not a cure.

Comment

Originally posted by BestBetter View Post
            Just like there's no one right way to eat for everyone, there is no single way to 'cure' or 'halt the progression' of MS. In fact, the MS forums are filled with dozens of different interventions people have used to improve/eliminate their symptoms that have nothing to do with diet whatsoever.

I think that Dr. Wahls is a very admirable pioneer, and that her experience and research is profoundly important and sadly lacking in this field. I hope that her contributions are recognized in the mainstream.

However, I do have to say that her diet was a complete disaster for me. I've had MS for about 7 years. My symptoms were mild after I cut out gluten and dairy, but upon adopting the style of eating she recommends, my health began a very noticeable decline. My hypothyroid symptoms got severe, my IBS was the worst it's ever been in my life, and my mood was so unstable that I seriously considered going on anti-depressants.

All those problems improved when I ELIMINATED those vegetables she promotes, and greatly increased my consumption of starches and cane sugar (both of which she vehemently opposes). Now that I no longer follow her diet, my health is the best it's been in years.

I'm sure her protocol is a godsend for some people, but it is not a cure.

I think you bring up a couple of good points. One of which is comorbidities. It's what makes a panacea so unlikely. Even if you were to say every human being is close enough genetically to require the same things to express health (I actually believe this) that doesn't account for your specific sort of "messed up" from a lifestyle and environment not in tune with such. Perhaps if three generations back plus yourself were brought up in an HG society then the panacea would hold. Alas thats not the case. Primal/paleo is an excellent place to start with debilitating illness (and what every healthy or semi-healthy person should be doing...), but the variables and individual tweaks necessary to optimize it are likely to increase in proportion to the number and severity of physiological comorbidities present. Its still the best we got IMO though.
            Last edited by Neckhammer; 03-02-2013, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X