10 days in and I feel like garbage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 days in and I feel like garbage

Ok,so I'm about 10 days in and for the past few days I've been running into some issues.I feel awful,I'
    m cold and clammy and have a headache and just generally feel achy and miserable.I'm not sure if this is the dreaded low carb flu or if I'm actually sick,but it's a real pain.Anyone have any insight into this? I take fish oil and vitamin D daily and try to eat vegetables with every meal.I try to take in enough fat,but I don't actually know if I'm getting enough.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

I aim for around 100g of fat a day. Check out the DailyBurn tracker or something similar if you're worried about not getting enough fat.

Otherwise, take it easy and look forward to not having the low carb flu soon.
    "The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love and something to hope for." - Allan K. Chalmers (1759-1834)

Comment

This may sound weird, but those are the symptoms I get when my glucose is lower than what I'm used to. So it could be the carb flu, just from your body readjusting.

Comment

Soon after posting this I went and ate a mixed salad with chicken that had been drowned in oilve oil and melted butter.It made me feel better,not to say I'm back to 100%,but it certainly took the edge off and made things less awful.I'm gonna have to chalk this all up to my body throwing a tantrum,because I've never had a legit sickness that was alleviated by eating a bunch of vegetables and chicken swimming in butter and oil.

It's all just very confusing at times.One minute I read something that says lower carb diets are great for people backed up by numerous testimonials,then something that says they're a metabolic disaster with reports of people suffering serious health effects,and numerous other things that fall between the two extremes.It's almost like the more I try to learn about nutrition the less I actually know.
        Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Comment

@lex,

You can only follow one God. Completely disregard any & all nutrition advice unless it is in the book The Paleo Solution or Mark's book, the Primal Blueprint. I put the same screen up for doctors. The only 3 doctors that I trust for medical advice are Dr. Davis, Dr. Kruse and Dr. Brownstein.
          Otherwise conflicting information will drive you batty.

Grizz

Comment

So you're saying stay the course and ride out the wave of BS my body is throwing at me?

Interesting side note,my girl looked at me a few minutes ago and said I looked like I was going through withdrawal.Now,for the sake of informing everyone,before I switched to paleo I ate a ton of garbage food and carbs,things like candy,pasta,snack cakes,and all that typical junk.It could very well be that my body is just reacting poorly to the sudden change.The big issue though is that I struggle with generalized anxiety disorder and my body throwing a tantrum makes it flare up really bad,which makes things twice as difficult.How long can these low carb flu symptoms last? I've seen people say that they'll be gone within a couple days,but others say they last for as long as a month or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
              @lex,

You can only follow one God. Completely disregard any & all nutrition advice unless it is in the book The Paleo Solution or Mark's book, the Primal Blueprint. I put the same screen up for doctors. The only 3 doctors that I trust for medical advice are Dr. Davis, Dr. Kruse and Dr. Brownstein.
              Otherwise conflicting information will drive you batty.

Grizz
              how idiotic

Comment

Originally posted by @lex View Post
                Soon after posting this I went and ate a mixed salad with chicken that had been drowned in oilve oil and melted butter.It made me feel better,not to say I'm back to 100%,but it certainly took the edge off and made things less awful.I'm gonna have to chalk this all up to my body throwing a tantrum,because I've never had a legit sickness that was alleviated by eating a bunch of vegetables and chicken swimming in butter and oil.

It's all just very confusing at times.One minute I read something that says lower carb diets are great for people backed up by numerous testimonials,then something that says they're a metabolic disaster with reports of people suffering serious health effects,and numerous other things that fall between the two extremes.It's almost like the more I try to learn about nutrition the less I actually know.
                Its individual - some do well on LC diets others don't. Find what works best for you.

Comment

What Sue said! Try slowly upping your carbs with some whole fruit and see if that doesn't make you feel better. There is nothing non primal about fruit. It is very primal!

Comment

After doing some research I'm gonna try to aim for a rough ratio that goes something like this:

65% fat
                    20% carbs
                    15% protein

That's based on 2000 calories a day,which would be a good number for me considering I need to lose a bit of weight but not 60 pounds or anything like that.This in turn would equal around 100 grams of carbs a day,145 grams of fat,and 75 grams of protein.Most sources I've seen say 50-200 grams of carbs is ideal for the average person,going above or below that can cause some issues.I'm gonna stick with this ratio for a while and see if my body pulls out of this slump,and if it doesn't I'll adjust things slightly until I find what works for me.

Comment

After doing some research I'm gonna try to aim for a rough ratio that goes something like this:

65% fat
                      20% carbs
                      15% protein

That's based on 2000 calories a day,which would be a good number for me considering I need to lose a bit of weight but not 60 pounds or anything like that.This in turn would equal around 100 grams of carbs a day,145 grams of fat,and 75 grams of protein.Most sources I've seen say 50-200 grams of carbs is ideal for the average person,going above or below that can cause some issues.I'm gonna stick with this ratio for a while and see if my body pulls out of this slump,and if it doesn't I'll adjust things slightly until I find what works for me.

Have you searched Mark's site? He has written about carbs,fat and protein... I am on my iPad or I would provide link.. Carbs is right on track. I do 100-120 grams i will look for the article and post it later for you I use myfitnesspal to track all my foods.. Really helps you can customize to fit primal needs and see how you do daily..

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

How to Eat According to the Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple. This was most helpful to me in figuring out carbs, protein, and fat intake

Comment

I just read an article where Mark states that 0-50 is for accelerated fat loss,50-100 is easy and steady fat loss,100-150 is maintenance,and 150 and up leads to weight gain varying with the amount consumed.I know some folks like Matt Stone and so on say 150 carbs a day is insane and you'll end up with serious health issues and so on,but more numerous and credible sources say that 100-150 a day is the ideal amount.USDA says 350 grams a day or so,which seems ridiculous.

Comment

I just read an article where Mark states that 0-50 is for accelerated fat loss,50-100 is easy and steady fat loss,100-150 is maintenance,and 150 and up leads to weight gain varying with the amount consumed.I know some folks like Matt Stone and so on say 150 carbs a day is insane and you'll end up with serious health issues and so on,but more numerous and credible sources say that 100-150 a day is the ideal amount.USDA says 350 grams a day or so,which seems ridiculous.
                            It def is 350g is too much if you ask me... I like the 100-150. Especially if new to primal.. I also eat a higher carb count due to some thyroid issues and energy levels.. It helps even me out too, energy is constant for me... Just find your happy medium

Comment

,before I switched to paleo I ate a ton of garbage food and carbs,things like candy,pasta,snack cakes,and all that typical junk.
                              I don't have a lot of evidence, but it seems to me that the worse your diet was beforehand, the longer and more severe your carb flu will be.* Not only is your body crying for carbs, it's crying out for addictive wheat. On top of the physcial aspects, you're going through a mental withdrawal. It's not a good feeling to realize that about 75% of your grocery store and 90% of restaurant menus have effectively disappeared overnight. So, yes, if you look like a junkie, you're probably doing it right.

At this point, I wouldn't worry about eating too many carbs. If you need 200g to get over carb flu and to get over the wheat addiction, I say, Go for it. Stuff up on the veggie carbs, especially sweet potatoes. It's only a couple weeks, and then you can cut down more.

I advise that you choose lower-sugar fruits like frozen berries, or at most the tart varieties of apples (no Honeycrisp!). Also, it may help you to snack on nuts. Macadamnia nuts -- if you can afford them -- and walnuts are best. You don't say anything about dairy -- if you can tolerate dairy, full fat cream or yogurt will give you a bit of a sugar shot.

Please stay with it as best you can. Your body needs time to switch off the sugar-burning hormones and switch on the fat-burner hormones.

*I was trending toward LC before I went full primal, and I barely felt any carb flu.
                              5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Working...
                              X