In line at the grocery store today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In line at the grocery store today

I was in line at the grocery store today and the lady behind me with her child started putting stuff up on the conveyer belt.

I looked at each item come up, and my brain translated:

sugar.........sugar.........sugar.......more sugar........fruit...........sugar.....more sugar......milk..........sugar......

Seriously...95% of it was from the interior of the store; processed garbage.

Fighting Primal - A Savage Performance and Recovery Blog for Primal Combat Athletes

That's so.... weak!

I'm a tire technician at a Costco and when it's slow they ask me to go pack groceries for them. So some days I'm personally handling the groceries of hundreds of people. All I want to do is grab them by the neck, give them a couple of shakes and scream "you're supposed to feed your kids food!"

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

A Wal-Mart Supercentre opened up nearby, the first of its kind in the province. I checked it out. It was abyssmal, of course, like any old Wal-Mart but bigger and with more palpable failure in the air. For a laugh I went to see what kind of groceries they stocked, thinking I'd get to see some outrageous American goodies that haven't quite made it to Canada yet.

I found a narrow section of an aisle called "Sugar Free Candy." I investigated!

I couldn't find any product that didn't have "sugar" listed as the first ingredient, nor anything that even boasted being sugar-free on the label.

Some days I feel like I'm going crazy.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Ugh. I do that, too.

...and then I wonder how many of those women loading up bags of Healthy Choice entrees look in my cart at all the bacon and sausage and steak and avocados and coconut milk and nuts, and look at me, and wonder how someone so lean can eat that much fat.

If only they would ask. *sigh*

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Reminds me of my days working as a cashier at SuperTarget.

I distinctly remember a customer getting some of those "Skinny Cow" ice cream sandwiches and commenting that "they're low-fat so you don't have to worry about eating them."

Ugh.

Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have a much harder time than I used to not scrutinizing the basket or cart of every fellow patron at the grocery store when I'm at the checkout counter (heck, the whole time I'm walking the aisles). It's awful, too, because I can't help but feel a jolt of--what would it be, schadenfreude? glee at my favorable position re survival of the fittest?--when I see a basket loaded up with three boxes of "healthy" cereal, a couple packets of non-fat fruit yogurt, and a big carton of "light" Silk soy milk (now with cultures!) to wash it all down...

Check out my blog here.

Comment

The kicker for me is that we Canadians have a public health care system. So those Doritos in pudgy, withered looking lady's cart are costing me money.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

AmyMac - I have a 1/2 case left of the skinny cow ice cream sandwiches left in my freezer. I got them at costco. I am only into the Primal Blueprint for one week now (5th day today!) and before I had to have at least 3 of those a day! Skinny cow... try kinda fat cow sandwiches! Anyway, I had to comment, because I loved those... I keep thinking this is going to be harder because I remember atkins was so difficult, but having a piece of dark chocolate now and then or an apple (which is strictly forbidden on atkins) makes ALL the difference for me.

I wonder how long i'll keep those skinny cow ice creams before i throw them away... or my roommate breaks down and eats them.

Comment

My money's on the roommate.

Comment

lol, i do that all the time

challenge yourself
                    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Adam, soon you won't miss sugar at all. And you sure as hell won't miss the way it makes you feel.

Comment

I didn't mind the skinny cow ice cream sandwiches, but I preferred the Weight Watchers ice cream bars...yet neither was ever satisfying enough to replace real ice cream! Thank goodness I haven't spent money on anything like that in...9 months? Yep that's about right

Re: other's grocery carts...I saw a lady literally FILL the conveyor belt full of crappy frozen dinners a couple of weeks ago. The SmartChoice ones in some red box I think. Literally filled. 3 feet of conveyor belt stacked at least 3-4 boxes high. ??? So gross.

You are what you eat,
                        and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

It's funny, but for me going into Wal-Mart and similar stores is less frustrating than what I see at the local Whole Paycheck. I want to scream when I see parents shelling out tons of cash to load up carts with "organic" candy bars, juices, and other junk from boxes. To me it's doubly unfortunate that those parents seem to labor under the misplaced notion that they're both nutritionally well informed and doing something really healthy for their kids by feeding them that cr@p. When I shop there on the store's outside outside perimeter I almost always end up with a greater quantity of food and a lower bill than them - partly because I'm aggressively hunting bargains, but also because there's no denying that, pound-for-pound, seasonal real food is nearly always cheaper than the industrial stuff.

That I don't find the behavior in Wal-Mart as shocking as WF may just be an example of a "soft bigotry of low expectations" that I hold toward Wal-Mart et.al. and those who shop there. (Using that famous "W-ism" in a race-neutral context here, of course.) I'm sure it's elitist and wrong of me to presume that WF shoppers are - or should be - better informed than Wal-Mart shoppers (or I might just have be insufficiently critical of WF's marketing). Hell, some (many?) of the people who shop there may know damn well that there are better options but they may lack the means or the knowledge to get them or might. Some of them probably just like Doritos and Cheeze Whiz, know they're unhealthy, and just don't care.

So maybe that's why I find the WF organixxx crowd more frustrating. They really seem like they're trying to be healthy and are willing to pay a large premium to do it - yet, for all the extra money they spend, the stuff they bring home is all essentially boxed up sugar.

Comment

I've noticed a lot less overweight people at whole foods than your local grocery store though...

Comment

Not so sure about that - we get a pretty pudgy crowd at our local WF, not obese, mind you, but most of the shoppers there are a little bit overweight. (Heck, I include myself in that group: I could stand need to drop at least 10 pounds of fat.)

From my anecdotal observations, there seems to be a greater number of obese people shopping at my local Wal-Mart, but there is also a much larger number of elderly shoppers there, and, from what I can see, they tend to be fairly lean. Compare that to my local WF where the "average" shopper (like me) tends to be younger but also tends to be just a little bit overweight.

Comment

Working...
                              X