In line at the grocery store today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear...Skinny Cow...

I once ate an entire package in one night. Six ice cream sandwiches.

They're so sugary that I just kept going back for more.

Behold, the power of sugar!

Never bought them again.

Comment

"skinny cow = fat cow"...I like that one

You know, it's kind of funny when you see those women load up their shopping carts full of Healthy Choice canned soups, weight watcher bars, healthy choice frozen entrées, and fat free healthy cereals. Think about how much money they're paying for all that brand-name "healthy" food that has very minimal, most often none of the nutritional value.

When you tell those people about your life style and the types of foods you eat, they right away yell out "too expensive to live like that". Really?

95% of all the food I consume comes in non-packaged form so it's always cheaper than to have some out process it at the plant, put it in a package, and advertise the hell out of it. If my piece of grass-fed steak costs $6-8 a lb, I am still way ahead of those women at getting cheap, highly nutritious meal that I myself prepare with much love and appreciation. They, on the other hand, need to consume a ton of that packaged crap to even come close to a nutritional value of that one piece of grass-fed meat. And on top of that, they will need to load themselves with artificial vitamins and supplements to even be able to survive on that crap on a regular basis. So is it really cheaper to be on a Weight Watcher's diet?

Comment

@ Chocolatechip ...

The funny thing about people who whine about how "expensive" healthy food is are very, very often the people who get a $4 latte (completely devoid of nutritional value) at least once a day.

/facepalm

Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Comment

@"you're supposed to feed your kids food!"

My MIL thinks I'm depriving my children because I don't buy them Twinkies (among other things). She literally went out and bought them a box of Twinkies to sample. I was very nonchalant about the whole thing, but felt secretly vindicated when they each tasted one and threw them away after one bite. My middle daughter said "This tastes like chemicals."

She chastises me for feeding them eggs and butter and beef, while she slathers everything in margarine and low-fat Cool Whip. They're all overweight and have high blood pressure and diabetes, but won't hear anything about ditching the low-fat, high sugar crap they call food.

Comment

I recently posted in my journal about how I feel like I'm surrounded by sugar whenever I go shopping. It's not even restricted to the grocery store- while in line at the craft store (buying a frame), I was surrounded on both sides by sugar sugar sugar. Once you start noticing this, it becomes difficult not to see.

And don't get me started on what children are fed, especially by grandparents. I seriously need to either lighten up in this department or get some sort of punching bag. And I'm not even that strict with my daughter! I just can't handle an entire meal with sugar in everything- the drink, the entree, the side dishes, the dessert. My MIL routinely gives my daughter: juice, yogurt (sugary), and a low-fat muffin (sugary) for breakfast. Then, for lunch: graham crackers, grapes, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Ahhh!

Comment

my hubs who is not primal but eats relatively healthy otherwise often notices my facial expressions as we wait. he asks me "are you silently judging?" LOL! and i usually am quite sinister at the checkout counter. i'm very smug when i see a pudgy woman with a child and 5-6 "smart ones" desserts in her cart while i have coconut milk, beef, bacon, almonds & kale in mine. sometimes i feel a little bad but it's not like i'm trying to keep PB a secret. these people are seriously addicted to sugar!

Comment

Playing devil's advocate here a bit...Sometimes it is actually cheaper to eat a lot of processed foods/carby foods as they're commonly promoted through in-store sales and manufacturers' coupons. This holds true with many diet foods such as Smart Balance, Smart Choices, Healthy Choice, Weight Watchers, Slim Fast, Atkins products, etc... With coupons, sugary yogurts can be as low as $0.10/container. Compare that to Fage or any other full-fat "choice" yogurt and there's a drastic price difference, even when using the occasional coupon on said choice yogurt.

Before being quick to judge, watch if the people hand over a stack of coupons and then watch the final price they pay. I think it might surprise you... (NOTE: this is usually not the case at Whole Paycheck.)

Most "frugal" guides advocate cutting ground meat with oats and other grains. Yeah, blasphemy for all of us here, but it is essentially reducing the cost per serving.

Comment

BethD: UGH i got angry just reading your post! Arggggg... that about sums it up.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Comment

Hmm. When I hit the grocery section of Walmart I can generally find some good deals on frozen shrimp, wild salmon and cod. Also, it's the first store in my area that I was able to find flax meal. So whenever I go to Walmart to pick up meds or supplements I hit the frozen section.

Comment

"Atouk! Lars! Atouk! Lars!" what a movie! Ha ha!

I do a lot of grocery cart scanning. Fun and informative to look what folks buy, and how it is treating them. And sometimes you come across a neat product that actually does suit the Primal way that I've never dug out of those central aisles.

Comment

Beth_D, wonderfully put. If only more of America's youth could be like your daughter who made the remark about the "food" tasting like chemicals..

Comment

Working...
                        X