The big IRON mystery: where is it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The big IRON mystery: where is it?

So I've been tracking my foods for a while online, and I notice that my levels of iron are always consistently WAY low, even though I'm eating lots of red meat, fish, and liver (generally about 1/2 lb liver every other week).

This has me really confused, because I always thought that red meat and liver had crazy high levels of iron, so I started looking up the nutritional info on liver and found that according to one site (Top 10 Foods Highest in Iron ) 3 oz of beef liver (what I've been eating) only has 36% of the daily requirement of iron, while according to another ( Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Beef, variety meats and by-products, liver, raw) the same amount has 24%.

I found similar low levels of iron in ground beef. So on days where I eat 1/2 lb of beef and 1/4 of liver, FITDAY is telling my my iron is too low. How could that be possible?

Get a cast-iron pan and cook in it. It won't show up on fitday, but you won't be anemic either.

Comment

there is no more iron, i am pumping it

Comment

If your fitday is set to female, it will always tell you you aren't eating enough iron. Fitday thinks you should be made of iron.
        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
          If your fitday is set to female, it will always tell you you aren't eating enough iron. Fitday thinks you should be made of iron.
          That's reassuring.

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
            LOL

I don't believe much in RDA's. I've always been anemic but it resolved itself with Primal/Paleo.
            I eat liver, organs, red meat, lemons to help absorption. I don't know the biochemical intricacies but somehow Vitamin A is heavily involved in iron levels in the body. My heavy cycle has improved much since adding cod liver oil in good amounts, therefore preserving iron.

Go for iron, vitamin A, and vitamin c rich foods and you should be fine.

BTW, baby clams have tons of iron. 130% in one can.

Comment

Odd... Fitday tells me I'm 100% iron. I had my suspicions but now it's confirmed.
              "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Fitday thinks you should be made of iron.
                Originally posted by Fernaldo View Post
                Odd... Fitday tells me I'm 100% iron. I had my suspicions but now it's confirmed.
                You are Iron man.

Comment

Working...
                X