Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not quite buying _al_l of this saturated fat business.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not quite buying _al_l of this saturated fat business.

small chain, medium chain, and stearic acid seem to be good but what about other long chain acids?

edit: that should be _all_, not _al_l
    Last edited by ib4student; 02-01-2012, 07:07 PM.

what does the book say?

Comment

The book talks about saturated fats in general, not really specific ones. I agree that the ones that i listed are great but the others don't look so good

Comment

Be more specific.

Comment

The entire basis of the argument against fat is that it has more calories per gram than carbs or protein. Therefore it causes obesity, which leads to heart disease. That's what the CW believes.

Since all of us are eating fat and losing weight, it seems like something else might be at play here.
          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
            The entire basis of the argument against fat is that it has more calories per gram than carbs or protein. Therefore it causes obesity, which leads to heart disease. That's what the CW believes.

Since all of us are eating fat and losing weight, it seems like something else might be at play here.
            Uh, no, the argument is that it causes a lot of problems down the road, even if you are losing weight. Losing weight =/= healthy. I have not lost any weight, btw. That's not what this is about.

Originally posted by heatseeker View Post
            Be more specific.
            Long chain fatty acids. Are they good for us? They seem neutral or bad, if anything. Long-chain saturated fatty acids consumption and ri... [Ann Surg. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ib4student View Post

Long chain fatty acids. Are they good for us? They seem neutral or bad, if anything. Long-chain saturated fatty acids consumption and ri... [Ann Surg. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI etc.
              And the result they MAY enhance (not even increase) the chance of gallstones. I would love to know what the rest of their diet was but I would bet a lot of "healthy" whole grains.
              Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
              PS
              Don't forget to play!

Comment

Uh, no, the argument is that it causes a lot of problems down the road, even if you are losing weight. Losing weight =/= healthy. I have not lost any weight, btw. That's not what this is about.

What problems are those and what is the evidence? Heart disease? Nope. Stroke? Nope. Sat fat consumption not a predictor.
                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
                  What problems are those and what is the evidence? Heart disease? Nope. Stroke? Nope. Sat fat consumption not a predictor.
                  Stop saying saturated fat. That's such a broad term.

I'm asking what the benefits of long chain saturated fats are.

Comment

There are a lot of good sources of fat Olive Oil comes to mind. A Better question than what are the benefits of sat fat but what are the disadvantages when the alternative fats are from franken-oils which we KNOW are bad.
                    PS
                    Don't forget to play!

Comment

The amount of long chain fatty acids in animal fat is extremely small. You will find the long chains in larger quantities of things we don't eat: peanuts, certain plants/trees and beeswax.

Palmitic and Stearic acid make up approximately 50% of the total fatty acid content of beef. Another 4-7% of the fatty acids in beef are things like lauric and myristic acid (not-inclusive) and they are shorter chain than both palmitic and stearic acids. There might be longer chain SFAs, but finding info on it is pretty hard. The rest, as far as I know, are both mono and poly unsaturated fatty acids.

And remember that stearic acid is converted to oleic acid* in the liver, so about 20% of total fatty acids gets converted to a monounsaturated fat.

*The "wonder" fat touted by the Mediterranean diets and anything having to do with Olive Oil.
                      People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
                        There are a lot of good sources of fat Olive Oil comes to mind. A Better question than what are the benefits of sat fat but what are the disadvantages when the alternative fats are from franken-oils which we KNOW are bad.
                        Uh, no. The alternative to long-chain saturated fats would be medium chain and short chain, which have a lot of health benefits and nothing bad about them.

Comment

Good answer, Icarian.

I'm intrigued by this simply because it has me thinking that the rancid PUFAs may not be the whole story as to why seed oils are detrimental. For example, behenic acid is a 22 carbon chain found in canola and peanut oils. See here: Behenic acid is a cholesterol-raising saturated fatty acid in humans.

Comment

Uh, no. The alternative to long-chain saturated fats would be medium chain and short chain, which have a lot of health benefits and nothing bad about them.
                            You still haven't show the health determent to long-chain sat fat other than one iffy study.
                            Where do you get this medium and short chain in a normal healthy diet?
                            PS
                            Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by raney View Post
                              Good answer, Icarian.

I'm intrigued by this simply because it has me thinking that the rancid PUFAs may not be the whole story as to why seed oils are detrimental. For example, behenic acid is a 22 carbon chain found in canola and peanut oils. See here: Behenic acid is a cholesterol-raising saturated fatty acid in humans.
                              This is what I was asking for. Thank you very much.

Comment

Working...
                              X