How do you get your coconut oil in?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get your coconut oil in?

I've started using it exclusively to fry in...eggs, saute veggies, occasionally sweet potatoe fries if we are craving that. But it looks like some use it straight off the spoon? Seriously? I realize it is a little sweet but wouldn't it be like eating shortening--texture wise?? I also think I read in a smoothie. That would work too. Any other ideas? How much do you take in daily?

TIA!!

I drink mine in green tea three times a day, about a tablespoon at a time. Sometimes I will have a coconut milk and blueberry smoothie.
    Last edited by kkarrolle; 02-01-2012, 06:34 PM.
    Achieving goals takes a backbone not a wishbone

Comment

I cannot eat coconut oil off a spoon. The texture grosses me out going down. I usually get nauseated afterwards as well. Can't figure that one out.

However, I fry bacon in it, add it to smoothies. Anything I would use olive oil for when it comes to high heat frying, I use coconut oil instead.
      A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

I also fry with it. Usually half and half with tallow.
        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I don't know but it may be the brand. Because many years ago I tried the one in the black jar at the grocery and it just turned me off. But this organic raw coconut oil I use now is Yum Yum! I will take a spoonful and the taste is clean to me. Looking forward to using it in something other than the fry pan or straight - in a smoothy I suppose.

“you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

Comment

In my bulletproof coffee, stirred into tea, in smoothies, in the pan when cooking just about anything, and yes, right off the spoon. I also rub it all over my skin after a shower, and leave it in my hair overnight for a moisture mask. I especially love it to keep my tattoos bright. Virgin coconut oil is absolutely the greatest substance known to man. And now they sell it for like 5 bucks at Trader Joe's!

Comment

I bring it work to stir into my coffee instead of having bfast. Also, in BulletProof Coffee, to saute veggies, fry bananas, sear meats...
              “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Comment

I actually only use it for frying sweet potatoes - I find the smell / taste to be a bit odd for other cooking (I prefer the flavors of lard or butter), no need / desire to eat spoonfuls of fat, and I'm bald and my skin has plenty of natural moisture. You don't really need to use it to join the primal club.
                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

I have a coconut milk smoothie with berries almost every day. I cook most of my foods in coconut oil or ghee. And sometimes I just take a tablespoon of coconut oil straight to the dome.
                  "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

I drink it in coffee and tea, I use it as a cooking oil for most everything (except sauteing mushrooms), I make cocoa crack with it, I use it on chapped skin, etc.

I also oil pull with it, which is me taking a big ol' tablespoon, putting it in my mouth, and swishing it around for 15-20 minutes before spitting it out. And since my room temp is generally just below 70F, my CO is fairly solid to start with, takes a minute to melt in my mouth.

Comment

I don't use much coconut oil at all. A teaspoon in my chocolate bulletproof coffee, that's all. I've gone months without any. I prefer to cook with butter, ghee or duck fat.
                      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I have 2 jars, both organic, one extra virgin (the lovely coconut flavoured one) and one expeller-pressed (the tasteless one). I use the flavoured one in coffee and tea, and a nightly diet hot chocolate (my non-primal indulgence). Or for frying any Asian-type meals. I am not adverse to eating that type right off the spoon as I enjoy the coconut flavour. Mixed with good cocoa and stevia, it makes an awesome fudge-type sweet treat. You literally only need about a teaspoon of the stuff to get a major sweet/chocolate fix.

The unflavoured stuff is best for any type of frying where you don't want that underlying coconut flavour (searing some meats, eggs, some veggie dishes). I also use it externally for moisturizer.

I'm just getting into using it, but I have noticed an almost immediate relief of my menopausal hot flashes since starting up about a week and a half ago. That was after doing some internet research on relief for several menopausal symptoms. Amazing stuff.

Comment

I eat it off the spoon at times, but it has to be when I am in the right frame of mind. It melts into oil in your mouth. If you aren't used to coconut oil, start slowly. The other day in the car I had it in place of lunch on a long car trip, and the feeling after was not so very nice--even though I am used to the stuff. It is hard on your GI tract feeling-wise if you are not slowly increasing. I used it yesterday on a salad with balsamic, surprisingly liked it. Melted some first in microwave in the glass jar. Also used it last night for lamb chops spiced with salt, pepper and turmeric, fried in a pan. Yumm! The sauce from the drippings was amazing over some steamed veggies. Also I put it in green tea with some coconut milk from a can. In the evenings with dinner I sometimes heat up coconut milk from can with some from the carton, and some coconut oil and mix it with cinnamon turmeric and drink (variant on Mark S's turmeric drink) like a hot not-cocoa. I try to get as much of the oils as possible (per Leptin Reset plan, has worked immensely well, and the more oil I add, I seem to lose more weight and fat)
                          Started Whole30 December 31, 2011
                          Integrated Leptin Reset/Jack Kruse plan Jan 13, 2012
                          Starting Weight: 174.8
                          CW:160.0 lbs

Comment

I make primal fudge with it, adding raw cocoa powder and ground ginger, which I have for breakfast when I'm in a hurry and don't have time to make an omelette.

I also use it for frying fish and vegetables in oriental-style dishes with rice noodles.
                            F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I saute veggies in it, and I put a spoonful in my morning cup of coffee, that's it. I can't stand to take it right off the spoon, the taste is nasty to me when I take it straight, and I don't like the texture. I use the flavorless kind in my coffee, and cook with the flavored jar, but when it's gone I'm not buying anymore of that flavored brand.

Comment

Working...
                              X