No announcement yet.

Starchy Vegetables

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kombucha is not paleo, so I don't have it.

Intestinal flora doesn't need any outside help if you feed it the right food in the first place. Introducing anything just upsets the natural balance.

I don't have any problems eating anything paleo.

Here's some info I came across on probiotics.
    [quote]

Michael Wilson, Professor of Microbiology at University College London, said that the promotion of daily probiotics was devoid of robust scientific evidence that they improved health in any way. He added that while topping up on “good bacteria” might sound sensible for rebalancing or enhancing conditions in the human gut, it was based on “a lot of shaky understanding”.

“It’s all well and good saying that certain bacteria are good for you, but we don’t know about all the other species in the gut and how they all interact. We are basing a lot of probiotic understanding on shaky ground. You need to know you are using appropriate strains for appropriate conditions in appropriate people and we just don’t know those things.”

He said that there was some “instinctive sense” in thinking that manipulating the gut flora - or microbiota - might help with adverse events. But for people with compromised immune systems, increasing the bacterial load could risk problems such as septicaemia blood poisoning if there was a defect in the barrier in the gut separating bacteria from sterile tissue.

No bacterium is totally innocuous. If you are healthy there is probably no harm in taking probiotics, but there is also no benefit. But to increase the bacterial burden if you are immuno-compromised is asking for trouble.”Prof Wilson added that the possibility of problems linked to probiotics would not be picked up because doctors rarely considered them as a cause.
    </blockquote>

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article6438753.ece
    [quote]

Probiotics, the potentially beneficial bacteria and yeasts available as diet supplements and in some foods, may not be as helpful as widely believed. A new study suggests that under certain circumstances, they can be deadly.

This study, was the largest randomized, double-blinded trial of its kind, and the authors found no other reason for the harmful effects.
    </blockquote>

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/19/health/19regi.html?_r=1

The study:
    [quote]

probiotic prophylaxis with this combination of probiotic strains did not reduce the risk of infectious complications and was associated with an increased risk of mortality
    </blockquote>

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/la...act?isEOP=true

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Comment

My question is do you eat the meat the way our ancestors did. It was not put in the fridge. It was out their getting moldy and fermented.

The problem with scientists these days, is that they have to have a cut and dried answer for everything. And they don&#39;t care whether it matches with evolutionary evidence. I think the opinons and studies are all bull****.

There is a lot of fear of bacteria. I think the only reason why people in India have less allergic reaction than the people in western countries is bacteria.

Why can&#39;t scientist give out results that also matches our world view and perceptions. Its like medicine is like quantum physics, and is not intuitive. I don&#39;t think that you agree with their results on saturated fat and cholesterol. Why do you think they would be right on bacteria?

I think the only tenet in Primal lifestyle is to try things yourselves and check the results.

You say that Kambutcha is non paleo, but why. Can you not prepare it from the juice of paleo vegetables and fruits. Why does it need to have sugar? Kambutcha is not non-paleo, only the recipes are non-paleo.

Till you have tried adding bacteria into your diet, you cannot really say that it is bad for you.

Comment

Working...
      X