Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unforgiving high GI fruit cravings - am I doin it wrong?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't know about the potato or rice method for sugar cravings.
    Good info.
    Fruit was something that I ate a lot of when I ditched processed sugar, but I found that it would bloat me up, and give me horrible gas. Also, it would never satisfy my hunger. I could eat it for hours and never feel full.
    Since I cut the fruit out and started getting my carbs from vegetables, and a post-workout sweet potato on training days, my sugar cravings have decreased dramatically.
    I read (page 57 of the book "sweet potato power") that fruit was natures way of allowing man to increase fat stores for the winter. It was ripe in the summer and early fall months, and it would be eaten to excess in order for man to store enough fat to get through the lean winter months.
    Interesting.

Comment

Sounds like it is in season so go for it.
      Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
      PS
      Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by counterpuncher View Post
        Fruit was something that I ate a lot of when I ditched processed sugar, but I found that it would bloat me up, and give me horrible gas. Also, it would never satisfy my hunger. I could eat it for hours and never feel full.
        Exactly this! I'm about to cut it drastically (two pieces maximum per day) and see if my hunger becomes more stable and easily saciable.

Originally posted by counterpuncher View Post
        fruit was natures way of allowing man to increase fat stores for the winter. It was ripe in the summer and early fall months, and it would be eaten to excess in order for man to store enough fat to get through the lean winter months.
        Interesting.
        Interesting indeed!
        Though I wouldn't say "Nature supports" the survival of any living being. In other words, maybe the trees needed the help of other animals to spread their seeds...
        Last edited by La Carnera; 11-12-2012, 09:47 AM. Reason: punctuation
        Ancas Largas (or "Wide Hips") | visual primal diaries (in portuguese)

Comment

Good thread. I'm willing to try white rice in lieu of fruit for a while and see if that makes any difference in body comp/weight.
          I just don't understand how is rice okay to have on the PB. Last time I checked it was a grain and I'm pretty sure it's GMO-ed. I'm kinda confused on that one.

Comment

The point of primal is to establish a way of life that you can easily maintain for the rest of your life... do you really see yourself being okay with eating white rice instead of a couple strawberries forever? I'd say just eat a bit of fruit... if it makes you feel bad, stop, but don't fear it based just on its name... Once you've cut all the crap out of your diet, like the added sugars and refined grains and gross oils, I think your body is pretty in tune with what it wants. Oranges are much more than just balls of fructose yanno...cravings are designed to get us to eat things. Sure, SAD eating messes with our taste buds, but sooner or later we have to trust our bodies again. I suppose there are circumstances where limiting sugar as much as possible is required, i.e. yeast overgrowth... but for me, I have to know that I can eat fruit when I desire fruit in order to be happy. I like white potatoes as much as the next guy, and I'm sure replacing fruit with starch is a good idea if you're really overdoing the fruit, but I think a few pieces a day (I'm an apple lover myself, known to eat as many as I can get my hands on, up to 3-4 a day sometimes) is fine, perfectly healthy, perfectly primal... I feel a lot better eating a good bit of fruit than I feel denying harmless fruit cravings all day. Unless you have a real reason to avoid fruit, I don't think it's bad to eat it in moderation...

EDIT: I agree with the above poster, also... I can't see why people would advise adding a refined grain to your diet instead of eating the fruit...strawberries have vitamin C and a bunch of other nutrients you'd lose by just eating a bunch of white rice...ick
            Last edited by 2ndChance; 11-12-2012, 12:32 PM.

Comment

It's not that white rice is wonderful, it's that it is the least-damaging of the grains. If you need a non-sweet starch, it's fine.

Comment

AstralBear, I think you are spot on with your view on rice production, but as it is, sold in stores, it's a convenience food. For people who want low-fructose/low-sugar, but need more carbs, it's a good choice. Fruit has, no question, more nutrients.
                Depression Lies

Comment

I agree with a lot of what has already been said. The best way to eliminate the cravings (if that's really your goal) is to eliminate the sugar (read fruits) from your diet. My own personal n=1 is that sugar, even in the form of "healthy" fruits just made me binge on them. I found that I have had to cut the majority of sweet things from my diet to prevent this behavior. But once I did, I got it under control.

It's not easy when you're having cravings like you are, but if you want to change badly enough, you'll find a way.
                  Last edited by Drumroll; 11-13-2012, 04:48 PM.
                  "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

I love fruit but I have a tendancy to binge on it, or after I eat it I have this urge to seek out more and more carbs which many times had led to be bingeing on non primal pantry items. Not good.

I have been doing really good lately making sure I get plenty of good primal carbs, usually 1-2 sweet potatoes a day along with other veggies and/or some plantain. If I have a fruit, I make sure to have it at night for dessert, shortly before I go to bed. This allows me to have the yummy fruit that I like (one serving, not all I can eat of course, lol), but it's so close to bed time that I get to sleep before I get the urge or chance to binge on more fruit or other foods. So maybe you don't have to cut it out completely and you might feel better knowing you can have a bit of fruit for dessert, something to look forward to since you stayed on plan with your eating through the day.

Comment

Working...
                    X