Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honey and Dairy. Am I really eating Primal???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honey and Dairy. Am I really eating Primal???

Hey folks. First time poster so go easy!

Ive been following the primal diet now since the start of January. No grains, legumes, starchy foods etc. Basically just nuts, veg, meat, coconut products etc! However, I am also still eating dairy such as organic full fat yoghurt, cottage cheese organic greek yoghurt. I also like a teaspoon of organic honey in the moring with my berries and nuts with yoghurt. My question is, how "unprimal" would this be? is the honey a big no no?

According to Mark's books and posts, all of those foods are primally allowed as part of 80/20.
    But it's a matter of degree. It sounds as if you're eating far too much of them. You should be eating yogurt OR honey OR nuts, not all of them at the same time!
    5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

darn. so nuts berries and yoghurt in the morning shouldnt be on the agenda? Even if I left out the honey?

Comment

How's your progress? Are you asking these questions because you are unhappy with it?

Your breakfast is high carb - ideally it should be the lowest carb meal of the day. 1 teaspoon of honey a day is much less of a problem than eating a lot of nuts IMO.
        F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I think it depends on how you feel. 20%.... I think it could accomodate a breakfast of nuts, berries, yogurt and a bit of honey. I don't see where he limits fruit *at all* or nuts *at all* unless you need to lose weight then you should eat those in limited quantities.

Some people may not see the results they want eating those items, but if you feel great and are getting what you want out of the plan, I would not worry, unless I dunno, you are using that to replace more than 20% of meats, veggies and fats in your diet. (Like 75% of your calories come from that meal).

Yogurt:
          The Definitive Guide to Dairy | Mark's Daily Apple

Nuts:
          Nuts Nutrition | Mark's Daily Apple

Honey:
          The Definitive Guide to Sugar | Mark's Daily Apple

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
          Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

The article above on Nuts Nutrition advises: "About an ounce a day is a reasonable portion size – think one small handful. "

It's advisable to limit intake due to their high omega 6 content.

I doubt you'd be eating much more than that in your breakfast, and you don't make it clear whether you're eating nuts at other times of the day.
            F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

PB - would you mind expanding on why breakfast should be the lowest carb meal of the day please?
              Buzz71
              Come visit my blog about life, my journey and seizing the day: www.thecarpediem.net
              Read my Journal of Awesomeness!
              Follow me on Twitter: @Buzz_71 and @the_CarpeDiem
              My Primal slow movement challenge: 208.29km of 1000km completed in 2012!

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
                The article above on Nuts Nutrition advises: "About an ounce a day is a reasonable portion size think one small handful. "

It's advisable to limit intake due to their high omega 6 content.

I doubt you'd be eating much more than that in your breakfast, and you don't make it clear whether you're eating nuts at other times of the day.
                I dont eat nuts at any other time of day other than at breakfast. Usually consists of about 5 brazil nuts chopped up and 4 blanched almonds heaped with a pile of blueberries and blackberries. About 2 tbsp of yoghurt. Jusr weighed my self there. Havent lost 1 pound in 2 weeks. THink im gonna have to re-structure my eating habits. Eggs for breakfast most mornings

Comment

Usually consists of about 5 brazil nuts chopped up and 4 blanched almonds heaped with a pile of blueberries and blackberries. About 2 tbsp of yoghurt.
                  That sounds like a skimpy breakfast that would make me overeat all day. If it were me, and I loved that meal, I'd make it a treat a few times a week OR I'd have it with some eggs for a big breakfast on a day I'd be skipping lunch.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                  Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

[QUOTE=paleo-bunny;702001]How's your progress? Are you asking these questions because you are unhappy with it?

Your breakfast is high carb - ideally it should be the lowest carb meal of the day. 1 teaspoon of honey a day is much less of a problem than eating a lot of nuts IMO.[/QUOTE]

Can you help me understand your logic here. Honey is fairly high glucose but nuts are not and mostly fat. No disrespect. I'm just confused by your statement.

Comment

An additional thought on dairy is it depends on what kind of dairy. Cow's milk or yogurt made from it is fairly high sugar and hard to digest. Lactose is also indicative of inflamatory issues for many. Yet, raw goat milk is low in sugar, high in fat, much easier to digest and has none of the inflamation issues associated with it. One cup serving has 0 carbs, 0 sugar, 10 grams of fat and 9 grams of protein according to a nutritional analysis I'm looking at. It is also said to have the closest composition to human breast milk as Mark status on the dairy link above. I drink it in my post workout protein shakes and make it into greek style yogurt. Awesome stuff and a great way to pump up your protein and fats instead of nasty old cows miilk made to be digested by an animal with 4 stomachs!

Comment

What about SCD yogurt (SCD™ Yoghurt)

I ferment mine for 30 hours - doubt there is much lactose in there after.
                        Yogurt and berries is my go-to breakfast (mainly in a shake with some protein powder) - I would go for eggs if I didn't absolutely detest them, and meat in the morning is just not going to happen - I would get nauseous. What are other bfast options??

Comment

Originally posted by markhamilton View Post
                          Hey folks. First time poster so go easy!

Ive been following the primal diet now since the start of January. No grains, legumes, starchy foods etc. Basically just nuts, veg, meat, coconut products etc! However, I am also still eating dairy such as organic full fat yoghurt, cottage cheese organic greek yoghurt. I also like a teaspoon of organic honey in the moring with my berries and nuts with yoghurt. My question is, how "unprimal" would this be? is the honey a big no no?
                          If you're feeling good and performing well, go for it. I eat a similar brekkie now and then, but probably wouldn't eat it every day.
                          If you're still trying to lose weight and it's not happening, then you may need to try something different. If you're already fit and healthy a teaspoon of honey and some berries shouldn't be a problem.
                          If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Originally posted by markhamilton View Post
                            I dont eat nuts at any other time of day other than at breakfast. Usually consists of about 5 brazil nuts chopped up and 4 blanched almonds heaped with a pile of blueberries and blackberries. About 2 tbsp of yoghurt. Jusr weighed my self there. Havent lost 1 pound in 2 weeks. THink im gonna have to re-structure my eating habits. Eggs for breakfast most mornings
                            Hi. I was concerned that you might be overdoing the nuts if you are eating significant quantities as snacks, etc later in the day too, as that isn't clear in your OP. If that's your total daily intake of nuts, then nothing to worry about.

I don't feel that eating yoghurt, or a teaspoon of honey or fruit is necessarily a problem, it's more the context that you are eating them all at breakfast that is likely to be an issue, regarding their total carb content.

As you seem unhappy with your progress, yes - definitely I'd advise you try eating eggs at breakfast with plenty of fat, with some low carb veggies for fibre (as a substitute for the fibre you've been getting from fruit and nuts), e.g. spinach.

It would be much easier for readers to identify any potential problems with your diet if you could post details of your entire food intake for a day please. I agree with mmapags comments on the dairy.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz71 View Post
                              PB - would you mind expanding on why breakfast should be the lowest carb meal of the day please?
                              OK - I am a little weary so I probably won't explain this very well now.

The insulin response from carbs in your breakfast is a scalar for any further insulin responses later in the day from carbs. i.e. a high insulin response at breakfast will amplify any response later that day.

There is a heap of empirical evidence to support that eating a high-protein low carb breakfast is optimal for stabilising your blood sugar throughout the day, as well as energy levels and appetite.

Jack Kruse recommends at least 50 g of protein in a low carb breakfast for resetting leptin.

I suggest that you try it. It generally flies against convention (unless you happen to be German).

Protein is the most effective nutrient by far per calorie for signalling satiety.

Muscle repair and growth (major anabolic processes) occur pretty much exclusively during sleep - therefore when we awake, our bodies are liable to be running short on the essential amino acids required to perform ongoing repair of cellular proteins etc. A big whack of protein is just what we need to guard against any compromise of more generalised cellular protein repair that is required for optimal health 24-7. Our bodies are much less frugal in expending energy when they get signals of a good protein feed. Glucose is not an essential nutrient. Some amino acids in protein are, i.e. our bodies are unable to synthesise them from other commonly available molecules.

i.e. if amino acids are in sufficient supply, then our bodies are very willing to expend glucose to fuel optimal repair of body proteins.
                              Last edited by paleo-bunny; 01-31-2012, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X