Stevia no longer banned in Europe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stevia no longer banned in Europe

I went into my local health food store today and they had stevia on the shelf! My first reaction was quick, buy it all before they realise its illegal to sell :P

The woman who runs the shops was saying that its now been approved by the EU for used in food etc. Not sure how I missed that one (especially given I was looking for some online in December) so thought I'd post up to make sure everyone here knows too

KT

Sugar is my nicotine...

Yes, it is fairly recent news.
    However I live in Brussels and here health shops have had stevia for years now... At first I was surprised to see it and always wondered if they were just blatantly going against the law. Now it is sorted anyway.

Comment

Why was it illegal?
      Started Whole30 December 31, 2011
      Integrated Leptin Reset/Jack Kruse plan Jan 13, 2012
      Starting Weight: 174.8
      CW:160.0 lbs

Comment

It was illigal because they couldn't proof it was harmless.
        I read some time (about a month) ago that it would be made legal in about a month (that would be now). Thanks for reminding me, I'm going to check if I can find some.

Comment

From what I found online last night, some of the big sweeter companies are going to be promoting it a lot as an alternative to artificial sweetners so it should end up in the supermarkets. I'm not sure whether the big brands will manage to mess it up though? Is it possible to make a stevia derived sweetner that is still full of bad things?

Sugar is my nicotine...

Comment

???? It's been in Tescos for ages I thought

Comment

Art De Vany's research indicates that sweeteners mimic sugar and accordingly drive up insulin. Stevia may not be articicial but I would guess it is as harmful. And it is highly processed which is another concern.

Comment

I'm not a fan of stevia. Tastes like aspartame. I've tried a few different brands too.

I'll stick to raw honey
                A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

I noticed it in both Sainsbury's and Waitrose a few weeks back. Tate & Lyle also have a half-sugar, half-stevia mix and there are also Canderel stevia sweetener tablets.

Comment

Originally posted by John Nugent View Post
                    Art De Vany's research indicates that sweeteners mimic sugar and accordingly drive up insulin. Stevia may not be articicial but I would guess it is as harmful. And it is highly processed which is another concern.
                    Mark Sisson wrote a few articles comparing the effects on insulin of many different artificial sweeteners, including stevia and sugar alcohols. Stevia does not affect insulin.

Comment

Stevia was on sale in Germany before, but not for food usage. Only for cosmetic usage (to make toothpaste etc.). Of course you could buy it and use it for food instead, but if you poisoned yourself it was your fault!
                      Turnstone's world - not really a journal...

Comment

Working...
                      X