Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any kind of a basis to a "gluten free = risk" argument?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, there is none. Humans are not designed to eat birdseed.
    Ditch that shit.
    Free book on Self-change (aswell as Paleo articles) at my website: www.identityisdynamic.com

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
      Indeed.

I was earwigging part of a nearby conversation while I was out the other night. It went something along the lines of 'We found that children eating wholegrains as a regular part of a meal had a higher incidence of calcium deficiency. After doing some research I discovered that it's common knowledge that substances in wholegrains block absorption of calcium. Now I don't know what to do about it.' I didn't catch what the response of her friend was. Then the subject changed.
      Can anyone find this study?
      Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Liam View Post
        I just a read in a seemingly nonsensical CW article this: "Penny Dellsperger, a dietitian at Coeliac NSW, said there were significant medical risks to people adopting gluten free diets without first ascertaining whether they suffered coeliac disease."

Diets based on a grain of truth

Is there any kind of rational, evidence supported argument that gluten free can be risky? The only thing I can think of is replacing your grains with something just as bad or worse.
        I've heard RDs on other sites (as well as my own doctor) say the same thing... "If you have not been diagnosed with celiac disease, there is no reason to avoid wheat gluten, and it may be harmful to avoid wheat." When I've asked WHY it is harmful, there is usually some stammering about how I will miss out on nutrients (which ones?).

So my response usually goes, "So you suggest I continue to eat something that I have proven is the cause of my migraines, IBS, numbness in extremities, anxiety, depression, and dermographism because I tested negative for celiac disease (twice)?" That's just cruel to suggest someone like me should eat wheat, because doctors cannot explain why I react the way I do to wheat. Nonsensical for sure.
        Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

Originally posted by jimhensen View Post
          Books like "wheat belly" and Taubes' garbage that seem to go against everything that 95% of the established scientific community believes are propaganda pieces.
          It was also once widely believed that the world was flat and earth was at the center of the universe.
          Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

Originally posted by activia View Post
            Can anyone find this study?
            Just to clarify... my interpretation is that this lady is a researcher who happened to find incidentally that children eating wholegrains with most meals had a higher incidence of calcium deficiency. I would expect that she was setting out to prove the benefits of wholegrains or fibre on health, or perhaps something much vaguer. To investigate further, she googled wholegrains and calcium and discovered that phytic acid in wholegrains inhibits calcium absorption.

So what incentive would she have to recommend an offshoot study to investigate this chance finding further, when it flies against established dogma that eating more wholegrains makes those in the developed world healthier?

I bet the same thing has happened over and over and over.

Wholegrains as part of the standard healthy diet are a major confounder in my opinion. I worked on a massive epidemiological study where numerous multi-million pound studies showed there was no significant difference in health outcomes between children eating a perceived healthy diet and those eating mostly junk food. Studies on exercise levels, however, showed a clear significant benefit of being active. I think the explanation lies partly in accuracy of self-reported food diaries, but also in what is currently defined as a healthy diet. I find it no surprise that those eating white bread with butter, more fatty meats and few fruit and veg (standard lower class diet, percieved as junk food) have similar health outcomes to those eating wholemeal bread and other wholegrains with high PUFA spreads, leaner meats, lower dairy, and a lot more fruit and veg (middle class, perceived healthy diet).
            Last edited by paleo-bunny; 01-30-2012, 03:07 PM.
            F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jen AlcesAlces View Post
              I've heard RDs on other sites (as well as my own doctor) say the same thing... "If you have not been diagnosed with celiac disease, there is no reason to avoid wheat gluten, and it may be harmful to avoid wheat."
              Well, I know I would test negative for celiac disease~ I also know that I get the God-awfullest outbreaks of eczema if/when I ingest more than a smidgen of grains. If the quality of my life (because chronic skin diseases are emotionally debilitating) isn't reason enough, then OMG, what is happening to my insides if my outsides are weeping mass of sores?

Comment

I've heard RDs on other sites (as well as my own doctor) say the same thing... "If you have not been diagnosed with celiac disease, there is no reason to avoid wheat gluten, and it may be harmful to avoid wheat." When I've asked WHY it is harmful, there is usually some stammering about how I will miss out on nutrients (which ones?).

So my response usually goes, "So you suggest I continue to eat something that I have proven is the cause of my migraines, IBS, numbness in extremities, anxiety, depression, and dermographism because I tested negative for celiac disease (twice)?" That's just cruel to suggest someone like me should eat wheat, because doctors cannot explain why I react the way I do to wheat. Nonsensical for sure.
                Ok, so we've ALL heard the stand-up comedy joke about the "patient" and the "doctor" which goes...

Patient: "Doc, my arm hurts when I do this..." (holding arm in some uncomfortable fashion)
                Doctor: "Well, then don't do that!"
                (Ba-dum-ching!)

One would think that eventually a REAL doctor with a lick of sense might respond to a patient saying that they feel like CRAP when they eat gluten with "Well, then don't eat gluten!"
                Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
                Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

Comment

Originally posted by tim_1522 View Post
                  Ok, so we've ALL heard the stand-up comedy joke about the "patient" and the "doctor" which goes...

Patient: "Doc, my arm hurts when I do this..." (holding arm in some uncomfortable fashion)
                  Doctor: "Well, then don't do that!"
                  (Ba-dum-ching!)

One would think that eventually a REAL doctor with a lick of sense might respond to a patient saying that they feel like CRAP when they eat gluten with "Well, then don't eat gluten!"
                  But no~ there's a pill for that!

Comment

My symptoms and sentiments precisely. But I at least have a doctor who knows and admits I am a highly gluten intolerant person. It's all grains - even rice upsets me now and I used to be able to eat it.
                    Odille
                    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
                    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
                      Especially when you consider that 95% of the established scientific communities work is based around government recommendations that were based on the work of Ancel Keys who cherry picked his data to support his flawed lipid hypothesis condemning a whole generation.
                      Hahaha awesome.

Personally I think bad science should = jail time, or death penalty if > X number of deaths result from your bad science.

Ancel Keys slaughtered millions of homo sapiens. That's not that cool.

Comment

Working...
                      X