I can ONLY eat grass-fed now....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can ONLY eat grass-fed now....

The other day I went to Whole Foods and their beef roasts were on sale for just over $3/lb, so I got one, even though it was apparently grain-finished. And boy, was that fat disgusting to eat; there was no flavor at all.

Same with the butter. I just finished off the last of my grass-fed Humboltd and Kerrygold butter sticks, so have been cleaning off the Costco pack of unsalted butter in my freezer. I just made ghee with it because I'm slightly paranoid about the casein, but it tastes HORRIBLE. It has no flavor...just fatty taste. ugh.

Anyone else have the same issue? Or am I just being weird and have to suck it up? lol
    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

I was raised on margarine, so I recently got into butter. My first stick was a stick of organic (non-grass fed, can't find it!) butter. Not too shabby. Next stick was from costco. Only realised after purchasing it, that there were waaay too many ingredients in it for something as simple as butter. It was a lot paler than the organic butter, despite having 'colouring' as an ingredient, and it tasted completely bland.
    Just an hour ago, I was able to get another stick of organic butter! Yay!
    There aren't many problems in life that can't be solved by sleeping it off, or adding more butter.

Comment

Sakura, you just so crasay

HAHA! Actually, I can't eat conventionally raised beef anymore. Grass-fed beef is just so flavourful.

Being on the PB spoils yer tastebuds! lol
      A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

I do. I can't even stand chicken or other poultry anymore and I used to love that. But now... bland bland bland. Give me a grass-fed red meat and I'm happy :-)

Comment

I'm a total food snob. Luckily I'm otherwise charming.

Comment

Originally posted by souldanzer View Post
            I do. I can't even stand chicken or other poultry anymore and I used to love that. But now... bland bland bland. Give me a grass-fed red meat and I'm happy :-)
            Chicken is only bland if you are a bad cook.

Comment

I do find that I would much rather eat a steak at home than to go out to most steakhouses (save for one very expensive one that serves grass-fed.)

Comment

Nope not being weird at all......even high quality grass fed beef from different farmers taste different. We split a 1/4 grass fed cow with my sister and did not like it at all. Blah! We are still eating it, but also supplementing with some grass fed beef from other sources.
                My Blog: Healthy Living How To
                sigpic

Comment

Oh my, the chicken I get from the same farmer that makes my grass-fed beef is even better than the beef.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I feel the same way now and we almost never go out. Why pay more for lesser quality? I just prefer my food here at home. I know I will feel good tomorrow instead of wondering what I might have eaten.

Comment

I'm kind of hesitant to get pastured eggs now too. Switching from grain-fed to grass-fed was about a price hike of 1.5x-2x, but to transition eggs is like a 3-4x price difference
                      My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Sakura_girl,
                        I live in a very suburban neighborhood in the outskirts of Concord/Walnut Creek, but if I drive to Martinez or Knightsen I can pet the chickens on my way to the cooler to get my weekly flat of eggs. On the way I drive by target, vitaminshoppe and a ranch that sells organic local nuts and olive oil. California is wierd that way. If you go east from Silicon Valley, or west you will run into suburban agriculture, I am sure. Ask around or at the farmers markets. I pay 4 bucks a dozen for eggs that are still warm. That is less than cage free Egglands Best at Safeway.

There is no comparison. And I agree on the meat. I just brought home a cooler full of grass fed. Got two roasts, some ox tails, osso bucco, ground beef, a flank steak, a flat iron steak, and a hanger steak all for under $100.

It's a small outfit, wonderful people, going to bid one of their grand kids 4H pigs at the fair. A pig share, cool?
                        Stay away from whole paycheck, find a local rancher. This entire state was once one big ranch, and you are living right in the midde of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanessa120 View Post
                          Nope not being weird at all......even high quality grass fed beef from different farmers taste different. We split a 1/4 grass fed cow with my sister and did not like it at all. Blah! We are still eating it, but also supplementing with some grass fed beef from other sources.
                          Wow, I'm glad you mentioned that. We are thinking about buying a 1/4 of a cow but will make sure to do a taste test first, if possible! No fun to be stuck with a ton of meat that isn't tasty.

Comment

So I keep hearing about this grain fed butter / meat etc. I live in the UK and cannot find any labelling to say if it is grass of grain fed....Can I assume that all my meat/butter is grass fed? Our country is pretty much fields etc, I don't think we feed them on grain..but I could be wrong? Am I just lucky to not have this as an issue?

Comment

Do you have feedlots in your country? Even in the US, all the cattle are grass-fed until the final few weeks of life when they're concentrated together in a feedlot and fed god knows what and grains for that final fattening up.
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X