Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elimination diet for autoimmune

Hey guys,

I finally started an elimination diet to see if my psoriasis gets better. So for the past week I eliminated tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, white potatoes, eggs, dairy, nuts/seeds, shellfish and fruits in addition to the Paleo diet. So I am going to try this out for about a month or so.

I was wondering if sweet potatoes, yams and squashes are okay to eat? I been eating them so far. I don't have any known allergies toward them but I can't find any information out there of whether to exclude them or not in an autoimmune protocol?

thanks in advance
    Last edited by leanzorik; 01-30-2012, 09:47 PM. Reason: forgot to add shellfish just in case!

Sweet potatoes, yams and squash are not nightshades. Go for it and congrats on being willing to do this tough elimination for the benefit of your health. You may want to check out the GAPS protocol as it is about healing your leaky gut, which is where most auto-immune problems come from.

Comment

Hey! I have psoriasis too...and though I've eliminated most of the common irritating foods, I still eat eggs, fruit, and nuts - but I know I should stop for a while to see if it makes a difference. Really looking into GAPS right now!
      Making adventure out of this thing called life

Comment

I too applaud you for going through the hard work to find your issues. Remember when adding things back in to wait 4 - 5 days in between so you can pinpoint any reaction to the culprit food.
        There's a crack inside of everything, that's how the light gets in. ~Leonard Cohen
        Journal, From Sick to Fit: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45653.html

Comment

Originally posted by leanzorik View Post
          Hey guys,

I finally started an elimination diet to see if my psoriasis gets better. So for the past week I eliminated tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, white potatoes, eggs, dairy, nuts/seeds and fruits in addition to the Paleo diet. So I am going to try this out for about a month or so.

I was wondering if sweet potatoes, yams and squashes are okay to eat? I been eating them so far. I don't have any known allergies toward them but I can't find any information out there of whether to exclude them or not in an autoimmune protocol?

thanks in advance
          Good on you. I'm at the end of my elimination. Life without nightshades, eggs, and dairy has been tough. I did not drop nuts and fruit, and I imagine it's got to be a hard row to hoe so...once again, you have my admiration.

I've been eating sweet potatoes, yams, and squash. They are not part of the nightshade group.
          Steph
          My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Originally posted by alg2435 View Post
            Hey! I have psoriasis too...and though I've eliminated most of the common irritating foods, I still eat eggs, fruit, and nuts - but I know I should stop for a while to see if it makes a difference. Really looking into GAPS right now!
            Did the elimination help your psoriasis in any way? I am going to try this out for a month. Its only been a week and no significant change. But this is probably the first time I completely cut out the nightshade family and eggs. So I imagine my body is still getting rid of junk..

Comment

Originally posted by GoLisaGo View Post
              I too applaud you for going through the hard work to find your issues. Remember when adding things back in to wait 4 - 5 days in between so you can pinpoint any reaction to the culprit food.
              Thanks
              I thought 3 days of eating a specific irritant food was sufficient enough to see if it effects you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mud Flinger View Post
                Sweet potatoes, yams and squash are not nightshades. Go for it and congrats on being willing to do this tough elimination for the benefit of your health. You may want to check out the GAPS protocol as it is about healing your leaky gut, which is where most auto-immune problems come from.
                I am glad they are not nightshades! Since I eat sweet potatoes, yams and squash daily!
                From my understanding, the GAPS diet is Paleo plus fermented foods and bone broth. I am already started taking 25 billion probiotic so I got the fermented part covered.

Comment

Symptoms might crop up or persist for 48 to 72 hours after ingesting suspect food. For instance, if I had too much lactose, the worst effect would start a day or two later when the bacteria in my lower gut hit high frenzy mode.
                  There's a crack inside of everything, that's how the light gets in. ~Leonard Cohen
                  Journal, From Sick to Fit: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45653.html

Comment

My little boy has eczema and we are 3 weeks in and starting to get rid of it finally, unfortunately I can't take him off dairy, he is only 3 and is already finding most of the foods he has always eaten are not allowed anymore. Interestingly he hates peppers and wont eat them.

Comment

Be sure to keep an eye out for other sneaky nightshades - paprika tend to be hidden all over.

I had great success with elimination for my psoriasis. For me, nuts are the bulk of the problem. If I keep them out of my diet the majority of my psoriasis clears.

I also have autoimmune arthritis that responds really well to nightshade and egg removal.

The one issue with elimination for psoriasis is that things take weeks to respond instead of days so it can be harder to keep things clear. I would do at least two months of elimination to see if things clear. Then you may have to add each food in for a couple of weeks instead of a couple of days to see if your psoriasis worsens.

Good luck and let us know how things go!
                      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                        Be sure to keep an eye out for other sneaky nightshades - paprika tend to be hidden all over.

I had great success with elimination for my psoriasis. For me, nuts are the bulk of the problem. If I keep them out of my diet the majority of my psoriasis clears.

I also have autoimmune arthritis that responds really well to nightshade and egg removal.

The one issue with elimination for psoriasis is that things take weeks to respond instead of days so it can be harder to keep things clear. I would do at least two months of elimination to see if things clear. Then you may have to add each food in for a couple of weeks instead of a couple of days to see if your psoriasis worsens.

Good luck and let us know how things go!
                        Thanks for your suggestions! I am glad you have cleared your arthritis and psoriasis! I hope it will only take a month to clear my psoriasis. But I will try to go as long as possible until it clear. Hopefully it will clear

How long did it take you to get clear of psoriasis?

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions! I am glad you have cleared your arthritis and psoriasis! I hope it will only take a month to clear my psoriasis. But I will try to go as long as possible until it clear. Hopefully it will clear

How long did it take you to get clear of psoriasis?
                          My psoriasis is pretty mild overall. It was pretty bad on my scalp - probably half of my scalp was covered. On my body I have guttate psoriasis - random spots over my body and then a couple pretty bad clusters. It took about a month of getting rid of nuts before my scalp cleared. My body was a little slower - maybe two months? I still get spots sometimes, but they are not nearly as bad.

Also, make 100% sure that your vitamin D3 levels are in the upper third of normal. I get tested regularly and supplement with an oil based D3 til I am at the top part of normal.
                          Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Did the elimination help your psoriasis in any way? I am going to try this out for a month. Its only been a week and no significant change. But this is probably the first time I completely cut out the nightshade family and eggs. So I imagine my body is still getting rid of junk..
                            It certainly is less itchy, but still very apparent. I'll drop the the nuts and fruit too, though, for a month, and see what that does. I'm also trying to take vit. D supplements every day, but I often forget! I also have a suspicion that my coffee consumption may be contributing, but that will be the hardest to give up.
                            Making adventure out of this thing called life

Comment

leanzorik;

You need to focus on boosting your immune system.
                              Epidemic of Vitamin D deficiency sweeping the world
                              Vitamin D optimization thoughts - Jack Kruse

Start taking 10,000 IU Vitamin D3 geltabs made with olive oil. Then after 3 months adjust your dosage to get your 25(oh)D blood level to 70 to 100 ng/ml. Add or remove 1,000 IU Daily to adjust the blood level by 10 ng/ml. At home blood test kit $65 or test at your nearest Lab Corp. Details below.

Also rub Grapeseed Oil into your affected skin areas daily. Grapeseed oil soaks into your skin to provide extra nourishment.

Also THIS:
                              There is another big benefit that comes with topical epsom salt use and that is increasing the sulfur intake topically as well. Those neolithic diseases include T2D, sleep apnea sufferers, restless leg syndrome, and those with fibromyalgia. Sulfur intake is notoriously poor in vegetarian diets and helps explain why they suffer from so many skin and connective tissue disorders (psoriasis, eczema, dandruff, folliculitis (infected hair follicles), warts, and pityriasis versicolor, vitalize are some). Sulfur is an important component of our body’s proteins.
                              WHAT ARE THE TOP TEN PALEO SUPPLEMENTS? - Jack Kruse
                              Grizz
                              Last edited by Grizz; 01-29-2012, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X