Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tempted to order a chinese with everyone else, help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tempted to order a chinese with everyone else, help!

Hi all. I have been on the pb for a few days

now.

I am round at my brothers and everyone is ordering a chinese. How crazy would it be if I just went for it for this meal? I know about the 80/20 ru
    le, but I figured after only starting a few days ago, it works be pretty bad!

Help!

I like the steamed shrimp and vegetables. It's especially good if you throw gobs of butter on it. Nix the rice.

Comment

I'd dive right into it and get straight back on the wagon the next day.

Observe how you feel after this meal to see if you felt anything different, that you might not have noticed before. After a few days' clean eating, I noticed how much worse I felt after partaking of some bread one afternoon. Often this is enough to sway you away from temptations in the future.

Having said that, in most cuisines there are choices that are primal-friendly.
      Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
        I like the steamed shrimp and vegetables. It's especially good if you throw gobs of butter on it. Nix the rice.
        Yes... THIS!!! Nom! =D

I ate out at a Mexican place last night with husband and group of friends...
        Shrimp Fajitas Eat the shrimp, veg, guac, lettuce, pico! Several of my friends NOT liking Guac was a huge bonus...!!!
        Nix the beans rice and stupid tortillas that ad very little in the way of flavor anyway.
        I think some of the dummies that gave me guac ate my unwanted flour things. LOL

Walked out full and happy and didn't feel like crap all night because I ate the icky bits.

That said I've already done one of those... "well why not just go ahead and have it this time" meals where I went 100% back to eating all the grains and stuff. I really felt physically like CRAP after. So, that makes it really easy. I don't even want the stuff now.
        Last edited by cori93437; 01-28-2012, 01:43 PM.
        “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
        ~Friedrich Nietzsche
        And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

If you avoid the rice and noodles where is Chinese bad? Order an omlette and something with meat and vege like a chicken chow mein. I don't see that there is any problem with Chinese food if you're sensible about it.

Comment

Originally posted by thanatos View Post
            If you avoid the rice and noodles where is Chinese bad? Order an omlette and something with meat and vege like a chicken chow mein. I don't see that there is any problem with Chinese food if you're sensible about it.
            Alas, out here lots o' Chinese food is breaded/battered and fried in industrial seed oils, or "velveted" in cornstarch, then coated in liquid sugar.

Avoid the battered shit. Do as Diana said and add your own fat to it. Be careful of the chili oils; lesser quality brands are made from soybean oil, and the rest are made with sesame oil.
            Steph
            My Primal Meanderings

Comment

I had sweet and sour chicken balls and special fried rice last night and Thorntons triple chocolate caramel short bread squares tonight, yum, yum!!
              www.paleotrainingbible.com

Comment

Originally posted by onalark View Post
                Alas, out here lots o' Chinese food is breaded/battered and fried in industrial seed oils, or "velveted" in cornstarch, then coated in liquid sugar.
                Ahh no wonder there is consternation about it...such a shame.

What about Vietnamese? Dont know about the U.S. but here in Oztralia it is the best asian cooking and is always a very 'clean' food.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with white rice!!!! Jesus. Here's the rule to follow... don't eat 20 cups of white rice. The issue will be the oil used to cook everything in and the added sugar. The rice is the least of your worries. Enjoy the meal with everyone. Don't eat like a pig and you'll be fine.
                  "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Fernaldo View Post
                    There is nothing wrong with white rice!!!! Jesus. Here's the rule to follow... don't eat 20 cups of white rice. The issue will be the oil used to cook everything in and the added sugar. The rice is the least of your worries. Enjoy the meal with everyone. Don't eat like a pig and you'll be fine.
                    As someone who loves basmati rice with her Indian food, I will agree with you. However the OP has been on the PB a few days. Now isn't the time to be eating rice, IMO. If they'd been Primal for a number of months... different story.

Comment

Get the duck. Kidding.

Just avoid the really bad stuff like sweet-and-sour, fried rice, deep fried stuff, the appetizer stuff. It's probably going to have lots of bad ingredients no matter what you order, but I have found it useful to have my "bad list" be in order of importance.

Tops to avoid: soybean/corn/etc oil, wheat products. If I can do those two, I am happy. I will consume the oil over the wheat even though I think the oil is far worse for me than the wheat. Reason is, I think that eating the wheat will lead to eating more of it.

Next to avoid: sugar, corn products. Yeah, so a corn tortilla probably won't kill me, but it ain't necessary to make Mexican food taste good. So if my meal comes with 4 tortillas, I might eat one of them if I'm still hungry.

I avoid sugar, but I make an exception for chocolate and certain kinds of sauces when they can't be avoided.

Last on my list, I go easy on rice, beans and lentils but I don't turn them down either. I will eat heartily of these if need be, if I'm having Indian food.
                      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I know this is late, but for future reference, I personally think the best thing to get is steamed fish. It's steamed, and they put sesame oil and soy sauce in the sauce, but at least it's really liquid-y, so you can avoid eating most of it.

A second choice would be something steamed with steamed rice. Anything not steamed will for sure be doused with industrial seed oil, making the entire dish unpalatable. Ugh.

And for what it's worth, eating steamed rice is a heckofalot better than eating something stir fried.
                        My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by thanatos View Post
                          Ahh no wonder there is consternation about it...such a shame.

What about Vietnamese? Dont know about the U.S. but here in Oztralia it is the best asian cooking and is always a very 'clean' food.
                          Yeah, American Chinese food is America. It's basically a junkfood unless you order certain ways.

Vietnamese is another matter. It's delicious. In fact, I had pho for dinner. No noodles, extra tendon and tripe. :3
                          Steph
                          My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Ok chaps. I am writing after waking up in the morning...

I went for a full on greasy, battered, spicey chicken with a sweet sauce, half a portion of chips (fries in US?) and half a portion of egg fried rice.

Yea.

I had about half a plate of it and had to put it down. It felt like my insides were bloating up? Like I could feel the stuff moving around in there

Anyway, it was terrible. I was all groggy and was pissed off that I did not just eat what I a had brought with. I am not sure if my body could have transformed its pallete like that in 2 days - if not, I am sure it was just a placebo, but either way, I dont care.

But in a way, I am glad I did it. As now I know what that stuff really tastes like. The last time I had it I thought it was delicious.

While I am here....what the hell is happening to me about my weight....Everyday I weight myself (for like the past 6 months) and everyday I weight eighter 168 or 169lbs (I am a 5ft 7 guy - so this is over weight - but nothing Crazy). The second day on the diet I weigh myself and I am 166lbs. I am like "what the hell?". Then this morning (day 3) I weigh myself and I am 165lbs.

I really did not believe I could be losing weight this fast? I always thought on diets people lose say 1 or 2 pounds a week. Of course this could be unrealiable considering I am weighing daily and not weekly, but I like to do it as a routine, then I can set up 4 day moving averages etc (I love stats etc ;p ).

Comment

Oh, high again.

I just want to say thanks for all your advice! I never expected so many people to be willing to help out; this is a great community .

I think I may start a journal here if that's okay

It is nice to know I will be able to introduce some rice eventually (I may give it 30 days first - I am already drinking 1 or 2 coffees with whole milk in them, I dont wanna go crazy). It allows me to cook up some curries etc.

Ok, off to plan my day. I have bought in some parsnips for the first time in forever so I should figure out how I can get the best of them (Parsnip mash?)

Comment

Working...
                              X