Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olives, Anyone?

I know that many of us consume olive oil regularly,

But what about the actual olive? I love them as a snack. My local store has a great selection of olives

and I pick some up once a week. Anybody else indulge?

Ya, we like those as a snack as well. The kids and dh prefer the black ones- the 2.5 y.o. and 5.5 y.o. ate a whol can full ysterday. I prefer green- would like to try some fancier varieties, but where I live there are just generic green and black.

Mama to 4, wife to my love

Comment

I love them so much. Black, green, kalamata.., I ate a bunch of black one to quell my nausea in early pegnancy.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

I love olives. But unfortunately many of the commercially available olives come cured in canola/sunflower oil, and sometimes with added preservatives. I haven't been able to find anything that's cured in only olive oil. Olives cured in brine might be a better choice.

Comment

I love olives. Have a couple of jars and containers in the fridge, I dip in whenever I pass by ;-). I'm not really a fan of olive oil though. Hate the taste of that!

Comment

It never would have occurred to me that olives would be cured in canola/sunflower oil. Our world is a messed up place!

Comment

if you live near the grocery chain QFC, they sell a brand of olives in olive oil (roquefort cheese stuffed). I like those pretty well and I can cook with the oil afterward!

the rest of the time it's kalamatas in brine or something similar.

Comment

I love all olives! We have some very nice varieties down this way and sometimes I will get blue cheese stuffed green olives or jalapeno stuffed ones. I can get them locally but you can also order online: http://www.temeculaoliveoil.com/shop/

The basil olive oil is to DIE FOR!

Comment

I love brined olives and eat them often -- but I rarely eat oil-cured ones.

Comment

Olives rock! I always put them on my salads!

Comment

High, high sodium due to the typical brining......not that that stops me.

Comment

Aren't all olives processed (and otherwise inedible)?

That meant Grok didn't eat them so they could only fall into the loose 20% part of PB.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
                        Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
                        Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Comment

if curing in salt (brine) is 'processing'. which would make salt-cured jerky part of the 20% as well.

Comment

I doubt Grok salt brined beef. But the two things aren't the same.

Grok ate unsalted meat, so that is paleo food + salt. Salt would be in the 20%

Olives are not paleo as Grok wouldn't have eaten them.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
                            Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
                            Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Comment

I'm more interested in eating "real foods" that our bodies can use to our advantage (versus foods like wheat which act to our detriment) than in eating what Grok would have ACTUALLY eaten out there in the wilderness.

Olives are fair game in my book. yum yum.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X