Avocado

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avocado

Oh how I love thee. I have no problem including avocado into my diet every single day, just sayin'
    You know where You are? You're in the jungle baby!!! You're gonna die!!!

Originally posted by Primal King View Post
    Oh how I love thee. I have no problem including avocado into my diet every single day, just sayin'
    Last week my husband had a horrible allergic reaction to something on the outside of a Mexico import organic avocado. Wheezing, itchy eyes etc. Has had same problem from cheap bin type raw almonds.

I decided to not buy any more imported avocados. The only ones now I see come from Chile. That is half a planet from here. We are waiting for the California avocado crop to come in. Locavore FTW.

Focusing on local grown organic produce. Roasted beets anyone?

Comment

I would eat one everyday, but they're so damn expensive here in north Texas. It would be $60 a month for my wife and I.

Comment

they make me sort of sick to my stomach. i have often wondered why. any thoughts ( serious ones)
        Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
        Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
        Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by ChefGrok View Post
          so damn expensive here in north Texas.
          For real... course they are probably even more in places like North Dakota.
          "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
          - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

Comment

Chefgrok,
            Will they grow there? That said, they rarely go below a buck apiece and I live in picking distance. I am going to look for a you pick sort of place this year rather than produce stands.

Comment

Up here, a dollar for an avocado is ridiculously cheap and means it's time to gorge on them before they go back up to $3 each.
              “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Snauzoo View Post
                Chefgrok,
                Will they grow there? That said, they rarely go below a buck apiece and I live in picking distance. I am going to look for a you pick sort of place this year rather than produce stands.
                The summer heat kills pretty much everything that grows outside, except for my lawn of course.

Comment

Can't you take the pit (core? seed?) and pot it at home? Stick it in a sunny window and water? I remember reading something like that in a kids gardening book when I was tiny, but my mom never let me try it out. It wouldn't satisfy an avocado a day demand, but it would help keep costs down. You can even put it outside in the summer, I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by quelsen View Post
                    they make me sort of sick to my stomach. i have often wondered why. any thoughts ( serious ones)
                    Do you have a latex allergy? If so, that could be why. Avocados and other large pit fruits can cause contraindications for people with latex allergies. Shea butter does as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Ang View Post
                      Do you have a latex allergy? If so, that could be why. Avocados and other large pit fruits can cause contraindications for people with latex allergies. Shea butter does as well.
                      not that i am aware of however i got a vasectomy when i was 20 so i haven't used condoms for any real length of time ( married most of my adulthood). No way for me to know but to have it tested, but it has the ring of truth
                      Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
                      Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
                      Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by lexie View Post
                        Can't you take the pit (core? seed?) and pot it at home? Stick it in a sunny window and water? I remember reading something like that in a kids gardening book when I was tiny, but my mom never let me try it out. It wouldn't satisfy an avocado a day demand, but it would help keep costs down. You can even put it outside in the summer, I would think.
                        maybe in Ohio, but here it's an extremely hot summer, and water restrictions galore. I would keep it inside, but with 2 cats and a 3 year old and a 1 year old... not happening.

Comment

Originally posted by ChefGrok View Post
                          maybe in Ohio, but here it's an extremely hot summer, and water restrictions galore. I would keep it inside, but with 2 cats and a 3 year old and a 1 year old... not happening.
                          Yes, I imagine that might pose a problem!

Comment

Originally posted by quelsen View Post
                            not that i am aware of however i got a vasectomy when i was 20 so i haven't used condoms for any real length of time ( married most of my adulthood). No way for me to know but to have it tested, but it has the ring of truth
                            Do bananas do the same? They are also latex-related if I remember correctly.

Comment

You can't grow one from a seed. You'll get an avocado tree for sure, but it won't give you good avocados. All avocados are grafts. The seed will grow the root plant, which produces inferior fruit to the graft. The fruit will be small, shiny and black with fragile skin, a large seed and very little meat. You're better off buying a tree from a good nursery. Typically a good nursery won't sell trees that won't grow in your area.
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X