Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meals so far today....are these bad numbers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Meals so far today....are these bad numbers?

    Specifically the fat.... Total Calories is 1,316

    Fat Grams 98.0 Calories 869 Percent Calories 66%

    Saturated: Grams 22.4 Calories 199 Percent Calories 15%

    Polyunsaturated: Grams 18.3 Calories 160 Percent Calories 12%

    Monounsaturated: Grams 50.1 Calories 445 Percent Calories 34%

    Carbohydrates: Grams 31.1 Calories 120 Percent Calories 9%

    Dietary Fiber
    10.4

    Protein: Grams 79.6 Calories 326 Percent Calories 25%

    Want to make sure I'm consuming the right kinds of fats. Most, if not all the Mono fats are from olive oil on my big lunch salad.

  • #2
    To much PUFA (polyunsaturated). But where did it come from?
    Also seems like to little food, but thats just me.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by MvEssen View Post
      To much PUFA (polyunsaturated). But where did it come from?
      Also seems like to little food, but thats just me.
      I had a 3 egg omelet with turkey and cheese for breakfast
      Lunch was spinach salad with chicken, sunflower seeds, green beans, peas (I know), cheese, olive oil, balsamic vinegar. Total weight 1lbs.

      ETA: Those numbers are from FitDay so they may not necessarily be accurate.

      Comment


      • #4
        Those numbers aren't bad. Calories seem a little low, but it would depend on your height, weight and body composition. If you're 5'2", 115 lbs and sedentary, you'll be fine. If you're 5'8" and active with average weight, you need to eat more food or your fat loss will plateau.

        PUFA's are a bit high, but given the sources they're not terrible. Chicken and turkey have sub-optimal lipid profiles and sunflower seeds are very, very high in omega 6. You can cut that number by substituting beef for chicken and turkey and just avoiding seeds altogether. But I digress.

        Simply put, rotate your meats. Make sure you get adequate red meat. Don't eat seeds and nuts every day. Make them a treat, not a staple. And make sure you eat a pound of wild fatty fish a week (salmon, mackerel, fatty bluefin tuna, shark, anchovies, sardines, swordfish...you get the idea). I usually do fatty fish one day a week, chicken or pork twice a week and red meat four days a week. That will cut your omega 6 number significantly and give you plenty of omega 6.
        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
          Those numbers aren't bad. Calories seem a little low, but it would depend on your height, weight and body composition. If you're 5'2", 115 lbs and sedentary, you'll be fine. If you're 5'8" and active with average weight, you need to eat more food or your fat loss will plateau.

          PUFA's are a bit high, but given the sources they're not terrible. Chicken and turkey have sub-optimal lipid profiles and sunflower seeds are very, very high in omega 6. You can cut that number by substituting beef for chicken and turkey and just avoiding seeds altogether. But I digress.

          Simply put, rotate your meats. Make sure you get adequate red meat. Don't eat seeds and nuts every day. Make them a treat, not a staple. And make sure you eat a pound of wild fatty fish a week (salmon, mackerel, fatty bluefin tuna, shark, anchovies, sardines, swordfish...you get the idea). I usually do fatty fish one day a week, chicken or pork twice a week and red meat four days a week. That will cut your omega 6 number significantly and give you plenty of omega 6.
          Excellent thanks. I do eat a large amount of red meat and fish. Actually last night was sirloin and for lunch I had a bison and cauliflower Sheppard's pie. I suppose it's been a few days since I've had fish. Ok, I'll kick the seeds. When I'm at work making a huge salad with spinach and chicken is very easy. I think I need to be less lazy.

          Comment


          • #6
            What I've started doing is cooking up big batches of meat on the weekends (usually 2 kinds for variety) and then a bunch of different veggies cooked/prepped in different ways, or bags of salad. Mix it up a bit. Tupperware is your friend

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by kolibriii View Post
              What I've started doing is cooking up big batches of meat on the weekends (usually 2 kinds for variety) and then a bunch of different veggies cooked/prepped in different ways, or bags of salad. Mix it up a bit. Tupperware is your friend
              Does microwaving the food reduce the quality or reduce the nutrient value?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by donnieR32 View Post
                Excellent thanks. I do eat a large amount of red meat and fish. Actually last night was sirloin and for lunch I had a bison and cauliflower Sheppard's pie. I suppose it's been a few days since I've had fish. Ok, I'll kick the seeds. When I'm at work making a huge salad with spinach and chicken is very easy. I think I need to be less lazy.
                Your protein is lacking. At only around ~75g, that's far too low. I recommend 1g of protein per pound of lean body weight, so if you weigh 150 lbs at 20% body fat, you have 130 lbs of lean mass, so you'd want 130g of ANIMAL-BASED protein a day. Plant proteins (nuts, fruit and vegetables) are incomplete and are "incidental". Good protein comes from animals - meat, eggs and dairy (if you do dairy).

                That being said, I just assumed you were female due to the calories, but with an account name of "donnie", are you a male? If you're a male, you're woefully undereating calories, especially protein.

                You don't have to completely abstain from seeds, either. Think of it from an evolutionary perspective - seeds are only available a few months out of the year, and they would only be gathered if food was scarce. The amount of calories necessary to sustain life gathering seeds would be a massive undertaking, so it would surely be a last resort. You can eat them - just keep them somewhat scarce in your diet as well.
                Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 01-27-2012, 11:05 AM.
                Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Well guys, I think the calories can be person-specific. I'm 6'-4" and I'm averaging about 1600 calories a day now. And losing weight and gaining muscle. I find that eating over 2000 calories a day bloats me out like a blimp. And, I'm averaging about 65% fat/20% Protein/15% Carbs. I usually keep my carbs around 30gm a day.

                  Also, You didn't have dinner in there did you?
                  Started 9/15/11 at 323 pounds
                  2/16/13 at 241 pounds
                  Goal is 223 pounds or less

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                    Your protein is lacking. At only around ~75g, that's far too low. I recommend 1g of protein per pound of lean body weight, so if you weigh 150 lbs at 20% body fat, you have 130 lbs of lean mass, so you'd want 130g of ANIMAL-BASED protein a day. Plant proteins (nuts, fruit and vegetables) are incomplete and are "incidental". Good protein comes from animals - meat, eggs and dairy (if you do dairy).

                    That being said, I just assumed you were female due to the calories, but with an account name of "donnie", are you a male? If you're a male, you're woefully undereating calories, especially protein.

                    You don't have to completely abstain from seeds, either. Think of it from an evolutionary perspective - seeds are only available a few months out of the year, and they would only be gathered if food was scarce. The amount of calories necessary to sustain life gathering seeds would be a massive undertaking, so it would surely be a last resort. You can eat them - just keep them somewhat scarce in your diet as well.
                    You got it, I'm a dude. Those are just two meals. Breakfast and lunch. I'm 5'9" and weigh 177. I'm built like a boxer (heavy arms, chest, back...skinny skinny legs). Since cutting out wheat, I've found that I require far less calories to feel full and satisfied. I'm assuming dinner tonight will consist of a beef or fish, veggies, and something yummy like sweet potatoes or the amazing cauliflower mashed potato things my fiance makes.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by donnieR32 View Post
                      You got it, I'm a dude. Those are just two meals. Breakfast and lunch. I'm 5'9" and weigh 177. I'm built like a boxer (heavy arms, chest, back...skinny skinny legs). Since cutting out wheat, I've found that I require far less calories to feel full and satisfied. I'm assuming dinner tonight will consist of a beef or fish, veggies, and something yummy like sweet potatoes or the amazing cauliflower mashed potato things my fiance makes.
                      Ah, if you're a dude and you still have dinner coming up, your calorie numbers look spot on, then. I just hope you intend on eating around a pound of meat for dinner to get that protein up
                      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X