Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you eat daily to stay under or around 50 carbs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you eat daily to stay under or around 50 carbs?

New to this and I am trying to figure out what to eat.
    I have been eatting chicken, greens, blue berries, apples, almonds, eggs and other veggies.
    It appears that I am consuming to many carbs.
    I have a few pounds to loose so I need to drop the amount of carbs I eat.
    Can you give me examples of what you eat each day? (around 50 carbs)
    Thanks!

Nuts are extremely high in carbs, 1 cup averages 80 carbs.

Comment

Here is a typical low carb day for me:
      Breakfast-
      2 eggs, 2 pieces of bacon, 10 pieces of asparagus, ounce of goat cheese, 1/2 cup pineapple (fresh), coffee with 1/2 T agave and half and half
      Lunch-
      6 oz chicken breast, a cup of broc
      Dinner:
      3-4 cups of greens sauted in 2 tbs of fat
      2 eggs

That's about 43 grams of carbs/1200 calories

It seems like I can have a daily serving of fruit, 1-2 servings of green veggies at each meal (not sweet potatoes) and stay below 50. I have stopped tracking though.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Veggies (but not root veggies) are lower in carbs than fruits.

I don't eat low carb.
        Last edited by paleo-bunny; 01-26-2012, 11:32 AM. Reason: typo
        F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

raw veggies are typically less carbs than cooked. If you want to watch carbs, cut the nuts, limit fruit and up your green and leafy veggies
          Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

If you use a tracking tool like fitday.com, you will be able to see where your carbs come from. Things like apples, potatoes, and that extra 'o' everyone always adds to the word lose are very carb-dense and should be shunned on VLC. My own goal is 50-100 g/day. I've been on the lower end of this range when I eat something like:

brunch:
            3 eggs w/ pepper jack cheese & cayenne sauce
            coffee & cream

snack:
            7oz Greek yogurt

dinner:
            big romaine/spinach salad with uncured bacon, walnuts, feta cheese, avocado, mushrooms, and 1/2 cup EVOO mustard vinaigrette
            peppered 16oz grassfed beef steak with butter-sherry glaze

For me that's a 3000 calorie splurge day with 74g carb, of which 28g are fiber. Scale portions down to 2000 cal and you'll be at 50g carb total.
            6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
            ― Søren Kierkegaard

Comment

raw veggies are typically less carbs than cooked.
              How does that work?

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
              Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                How does that work?
                I'm pretty sure it's A) a digestibility issue and B) a volume issue.
                Or a bit of both...

Carrots for instance are much more digestible cooked. "According to Carbohydrate Counter, raw carrots have only 11.69 g per cup and cooked carrots have 12.63 g."

And the amount of kale in a cup is greater cooked than raw....
                -From Carb-Counter dot net
                Kale, cooked, boiled, drained, with salt - 1 cup, chopped - 7.32g
                Kale, raw - 1 cup, chopped - 6.51g

That said, it's not a huge difference... a gram or two here and there, but I suppose it could add up. Honestly I wouldn't worry about cooked veg though. There are good reasons to eat cooked... like the ability to actually digest the nutrition out of them since cooking breaks down the cellulose walls that our digestive tracts really don't on their own.
                There are better ways to trim carbs... like cutting back on fruit (particular non-berries) and nuts until goals are met.
                Last edited by cori93437; 01-26-2012, 12:07 PM.
                “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

I eat a ton of veggies, never get close to 50g! Some days I'll eat an orange or banana and get close. Add in rice/potatoes and you are over 50 fast!

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                    How does that work?
                    I think it concentrates the sugars in some veggies.. look up carrots, peas etc. Check it out
                    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

Originally posted by cantare View Post

For me that's a 3000 calorie splurge day with 74g carb, of which 28g are fiber. Scale portions down to 2000 cal and you'll be at 50g carb total.
                      I have some good news for you. Fibre doesn't count as carbs as it's indigestible to humans. And it's generally good for your gut health when it comes from veg.
                      F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I have a bigger problem getting my fat percentage up - but a couple of slugs of heavy cream fixes that!
                        Started 9/15/11 at 323 pounds
                        2/16/13 at 241 pounds
                        Goal is 223 pounds or less

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
                          I have some good news for you. Fibre doesn't count as carbs as it's indigestible to humans. And it's generally good for your gut health when it comes from veg.
                          Good point; which is one reason I broke it down explicitly. Sugar vs fiber becomes an increasingly important distinction as you move closer to a zero-carb/VLC ketogenic regimen. However, I understand that in PB, Mark Sisson advocates various ranges of carb intake that are based on total carbs, not "net", and I thought OP's 50g target was most likely derived from that source, in which case fiber has to be counted.
                          6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
                          ― Søren Kierkegaard

Comment

My carbs were 26.5g yesterday. Carbs were blueberries, a salad and greek yoghurt.
                            I eat 4 tablespoons of coconut oil each day which is 72gms fat... that added to my daily fat amount added up to 147.6g.... is this to much?? Protein was 89.5g for the day also.

Comment

Originally posted by cantare View Post
                              Good point; which is one reason I broke it down explicitly. Sugar vs fiber becomes an increasingly important distinction as you move closer to a zero-carb/VLC ketogenic regimen. However, I understand that in PB, Mark Sisson advocates various ranges of carb intake that are based on total carbs, not "net", and I thought OP's 50g target was most likely derived from that source, in which case fiber has to be counted.
                              Mark does not advocate limiting fibre intake. He would not lump it in with carbs because it is not a carb as far as our bodies' ability to metabolise it is concerned. On this point, I feel that food manufacturers should not list fibre under carb but should list it separately as fibre, because it has a lot of scope to cause confusion. Technically it is a carb but as we can't obtain any calories from it, it should not be listed under total carbs. Fibre helps the body eliminate toxins and helps prevent constipation, therefore avoiding it is a very bad idea indeed and certainly not primal when it comes from vegetables.

Comment

Working...
                              X