Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Fermented Foods and WHY

Hey guys,

Curious to see what everybody's favorite fermented foods are.

-raw kefir (post-workout or morning snack) -
    -fermented salsa (cilantro, garlic, anti-bug, metals chelator) -
    -classic sauerkraut - (very versatile)

These all seam to add a good zing to sometimes repetitive foods.
    -Joe

http://OptimizedIndividuals.wordpress.com

Carrots and ginger, pickles, kombucha
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

Sauerkraut and kimchi of any kind. Love my fermented veggies!
      My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Cheese and wine

Love fermented vegies too
        Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

i can't get enough kombucha. infused with ginger and it's basically my favorite thing to drink. i also like sauerkraut and kimchi, eat pickles constantly.

and like peril, keep the wine and cheese coming.
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Kimchi... Definitely kimchi. Love the spice!

Comment

Goldmine Natural Foods brand Garlic Sauerkraut. It stinks, but it tastes AWESOME!
              Their regular sauerkraut is really good too - but the garlic stuff is better.

http://shop.goldminenaturalfoods.com...nfo/1901-1934/

Comment

Sauerkraut (unfortunately not the fermented kind) was my first solid food. I've loved it ever since! Kombucha is really good too.

Comment

Sriracha, have batch I'm working now that just finished a 90day ferment
                  http://kitoikitchen.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sauerkraut: I'm Polish; if I don't eat it, my ancestors will haunt me. I SWEAR!!!! I also love it, because if I don't have any veggies to cook for lunch on hand, I pack some sauerkraut instead.

LOVE kombucha too. There's a local lady who's going to sell me one of her SCOBY's. Then I'll have to figure out how to make the stuff!
                    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

Originally posted by patski View Post
                      LOVE kombucha too. There's a local lady who's going to sell me one of her SCOBY's. Then I'll have to figure out how to make the stuff!
                      you don't need to buy a scoby if you're willing to wait a little bit. just buy some kombucha ($3 at a health food store), pour it into a bowl or big jar, cover with cheese cloth, and wait a couple of weeks. you'll have a scoby of your very own. and making kombucha is simple...there are a few threads on here with great links to directions. diana renata has the best in my opinion.
                      the best part is the scobys keep growing. i ferment two gallons at a time, and i swear every few weeks i get a new mushroom. i've got 4 or 5 that i can't even give away.
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

I make my own sauerkraut and kimchi. Very easy, and very good! I have some every day.

Comment

Kraut baby...

Oh and...

beer/wine/whisky!!!!!!

Comment

Special Triple K: Kimchi, Kefir, and Kraut in that order. I make the first two myself, not yet made Kraut though, maybe at some point.

While I am sure cheese has probiotics in it, I wonder about wine. I would think when the alcohol level gets high enough it kills the probiotics. While whisky and many other spritis are intially fermented (first step in making whisky is basically making beer, Sierra Nevada even makes some for St. George distillery), they are subsequently distilled which entails something akin to pasteurization in that the initially fermented liquid is subjected to sustained high temps (but below water boiling but above alcohol boiling) which I would think kill whatever probiotics existed. Not to diss on whisky, I really like Scotch and American, and to a lesser extent Canadian and Irish.

Comment

I only regularly have store-bought Kefir (plain from TJs and I throw blueberries in it, maybe 2x/week when I remember to and am at work) I know TJs has kombucha so maybe I'll buy some (can someone recommend one?) and I also have some gouda cheese, after reading this: Gouda: The Nutrient Dense Cheese of Choice so I'll munch on that also when I remember to, which may be once a week.

I guess that's it. I have pickles, but usually after a burger =]
                              I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Working...
                              X