Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breakfast for children who don't eat eggs or dairy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breakfast for children who don't eat eggs or dairy?

My husband and I are switching over to primal eating slowly, and we want to switch our entire household during February. We are trying to eat meals that we already eat, but leaving out the side of starch.

I have a 2 yo who is allergic to dairy and will only eat eggs scrambled once in a while. He doesn't like meat or most vegetables and nut butters wind up smeared all over the place instead of being eaten. Also, a 6yo who is dairy intolerant and refuses to eat eggs unless she can dip toast in the yolk. She eats a small variety of veg, and a little meat.

They both love fruit, sugar and starch. Their favorite breakfasts are toast with jam and oatmeal with cinnamon and honey. I am trying really hard to come up with some more ideas that my picky little eaters will enjoy for breakfast.

Thank you!

I'd serve fruit and keep offering it with uncured ham or bacon. If they eat the meat, good; if not, more for you. I bet if you keep putting in on their plates they start eating it eventually.
    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Comment

Sooooo, if they don't know they are eating egg will they eat it - vegie fritters, coconut and berry pancakes, frittata, veg and ham/bacon muffins etc?
      Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
      Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
      Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
      Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

Comment

What do they eat for lunch/dinner? Breakfast doesn't have to be "breakfast" foods. Smoothies can be made to suit most palates-coconut milk, spinich, a couple of raw eggs, and a handful of berries. Or almond milk, nut butters and a frozen banana.
        $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

Hunger is the best spice.

When they get hungry enough, they'll eat eggs.
          Lifting Journal

Comment

For lunch and dinner they usually eat fruit and a little bit of whatever we are having. DS eats a LOT of oatmeal and fruit. DD eats a lot of peanut butter or almond butter sandwiches. She has SPD (as do I) and certain textured foods totally freak her out-- like meat. I am starting to lose my mind heh. DD will do almond butter on celery but DS eats mostly grilled chicken and organic processed carby crap. I always put veggies on their plates before anything else in the evenings, but DS usually wont touch them. It honestly drives me crazy. It is even harder now that he has stopped nursing because I knew that when he was nursing, at least he was getting some nutrition.

Comment

Someone I respect is a veteran pediatric nurse who adores children and is widely considered somewhat of a guru on them. Her view on things like my kid won't eat x is that the parent just caved too soon. She says the same thing about Mark's son who stopped eating meat very early.
              Lifting Journal

Comment

Originally posted by ljq309 View Post
                Sooooo, if they don't know they are eating egg will they eat it - vegie fritters, coconut and berry pancakes, frittata, veg and ham/bacon muffins etc?
                They won't touch a frittata if there are eggs or veggies visible.DS will pick through it for anything he likes, but DD will turn her nose up at it. They love pancakes and waffles. Does anyone know if primal versions freeze well? I know it is going to take just removing everything nonprimal, but I just want to have a few good ideas around before that comes to pass.

I am really worrying about it, and I know the answer seems obvious... starve them until they give in... but I don't really like that answer LOL

I also really like the smoothie idea. I am personally trying to limit sugar intake, so I hadn't thought of smoothies.

Comment

Sweet potato cubes stewed in coconut milk with a little cinnamon and nutmeg
                  Chicken soup is great for breakfast

Before I gave up nuts, I used to eat this and loved it:

1. Meat and liquid from 2 fresh, young coconuts
                  2. 2-3 cups of soaked almonds
                  3. 2 apples, cut into pieces
                  4. 5 figs
                  5. cinnamon and/or nutmeg to taste

Blend together until the consistency of oatmeal. It keeps in the fridge for at least a week.
                  Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by Apex Predator View Post
                    Someone I respect is a veteran pediatric nurse who adores children and is widely considered somewhat of a guru on them. Her view on things like my kid won't eat x is that the parent just caved too soon. She says the same thing about Mark's son who stopped eating meat very early.
                    I'm not so sure about this. There is also a school of thought that if you have a child who is generally a good eater, but refuses to eat a couple of food items there is a good chance they have a food intolerance. Eggs don't sit well with a lot of people. Kids can't necessarily make the connection that they don't feel great after eating a certain food item, but they may develop a dislike over time.
                    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                      Sweet potato cubes stewed in coconut milk with a little cinnamon and nutmeg
                      Chicken soup is great for breakfast

Before I gave up nuts, I used to eat this and loved it:

1. Meat and liquid from 2 fresh, young coconuts
                      2. 2-3 cups of soaked almonds
                      3. 2 apples, cut into pieces
                      4. 5 figs
                      5. cinnamon and/or nutmeg to taste

Blend together until the consistency of oatmeal. It keeps in the fridge for at least a week.
                      That 'cereal' sounds delicious! Is it eaten warm or cold? Are the soaked almonds difficult to chew at all? DS hasn't done nuts yet because he can't seem to get them ground up (he's only got three molars so far).

Comment

Originally posted by spinningtales View Post
                        That 'cereal' sounds delicious! Is it eaten warm or cold? Are the soaked almonds difficult to chew at all? DS hasn't done nuts yet because he can't seem to get them ground up (he's only got three molars so far).
                        You can eat it warm or cold, but I think it really tastes better cold. The soaked almonds are ground quite finely when you blend the whole mixture. You could easily drink the mixture once it is ready. You could also substitute in some macdamia nuts or add in a little melted butter or coconut milk to bump up the fat content.

Comment

Great thread. Keep the ideas coming, my two are extremely hard to please!
                          Buzz71
                          Come visit my blog about life, my journey and seizing the day: www.thecarpediem.net
                          Read my Journal of Awesomeness!
                          Follow me on Twitter: @Buzz_71 and @the_CarpeDiem
                          My Primal slow movement challenge: 208.29km of 1000km completed in 2012!

Comment

I totally feel your struggle spinningtales - I also have a youngster who can't have dairy and wouldn't eat eggs. My DS is 3. I also have a 4 yo and the an 11yo. My oldest was the pickiest kid ever. I made the mistake of caving when she was little and only giving her what she would eat. She's still pretty picky to this day - sometimes wont eat a meal if she doesn't like it. However with my 3 and 4 yr old I almost never make a meal just for them (if I do, everyone eats it not just them). Sometimes one will only eat the meat from the meal, sometimes the other will only eat the fruit. Once in a while they skip the meal all together. It's scarry as a mother to see your child skip a meal. I totally know. The thing that I've been learning is that it's okay if they skip a meal. They WILL NOT starve themselves. I think the best thing you can do is make food that you 'think' they may like that's primal AND also eat it yourself. They may not eat it immediately, but it will help if they see you eating it too. I've slowly been making my kids meals primal. I've almost eliminated breads and I always give more meats than anything else at meals. My DS who almost never ate meat before is now a huge meat eater. I don't pressure at all. If they take a bite and spit it out and say they are done, then I let them get up. My DD who is 4 is the worst. I do have a hard time sometimes knowing that she skipped a meal, but it doesn't happen much now - it's been about 3 weeks. There are great tips for foods here already. I've pretty much been giving the kids what I eat and once in a while throw in something familar and SAD - I made the decision to make their transition to PB a slow one so they dont get the carb flu.
                            My journey for health, energy and a balanced life page http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36813.html

Comment

You know, I have seen coconut milk yogurt.

Turtle Mountain - So Delicious&reg Cultured Coconut Milk Yogurt - 6 oz cup - Plain

It does have some sugars though. Here is a recipe for it:
                              Homemade Coconut Milk Yogurt

That with fruit?

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                              Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Working...
                              X