Miso

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miso

I know it's a soy product, which I like to steer clear of in general, but my understanding of soy is that it's better for you when it's fermented. I have been craving miso soup for a while now and just wanted to get other folks' thoughts on it. I know it's not primal, but do you all still eat it occasionally? I can only get it here in a kind of bigger tubs, so when I buy it, I'll be eating it for a while, although it does keep for a long time. Thoughts?

I love miso, and I have it every once in a while. I have a tub of non-GMO organic soy, so I think it's certainly better than regular soy anything else since it's organic, non-GMO, and fermented. Good thing about miso is that it lasts a long time in your fridge, so you can spread it out a lot, because I wouldn't be eating it everyday in order to limit phytoestrogenic activity.
    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

I still use it, though not what I would call frequently, fairly regularly. I'm not concerned at all about it. I get the organic stuff, it's fermented very thoroughly... It is biologically active, similar to yogurt cultures so never get it too hot. Also, a tub will last basically forever in your fridge since it's salt fermented, the saly preserves it)... or up to about a year. If it looks fine, and smells fine, it's fine. I tend to use mine up before it's been around that long.
      There is nothing like the taste of miso soup.
      Miso soup with a cod loin that was cooked in coconut oil in it, and extra wakame = a FINE meal.
      I almost always use some sort of sea animal in place of tofu (cod fish, shrimps, scallops, baby squid).

I see this as similar to the crowd here who still has a few beers on the weekend. It's no big deal. And since I don't drink beer I'll have my miso on occasion. And when I'm sick(not often), I simply HAVE to have it... it's like my body is begging.
      “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche
      And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

+1 on miso
        Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

Comment

Shh, don't tell the purists but I love miso soup! It's a great conduit for seaweed. I like the tofu in it as well. A rare treat though, mostly because I don't like it enough to store a whole huge bag of paste in the fridge.
          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I always have a bowl when I go out for sushi (which is almost every Friday). I don't worry about it.
            Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

As long as you get the good stuff I'm sure it's fine. Plus the flavor is pretty concentrated so you're not getting that much in a bowl of soup.
              Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
              Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
              "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

I love miso! I generally consider fermented foods to be their own food group, so I don't limit them. One of my favorite workout recovery drinks is a tablespoon of miso paste stirred into a mug of warm, homemade chicken broth. I have a recipe for miso-marinated asparagus that I'm looking forward to using this spring, too.

Aside from the fact that it's fermented, you're not going to be consuming as much soy in miso soup as you would if you used tofu as an entree.

When I have miso soup at a restaurant, I don't bother with the tofu squares anymore, though.
                ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Originally posted by vontrapp
                CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
                Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

Comment

I also love miso and feel that it's a beneficial food. The protein structure of soy (which is usually what causes intolerances) is very altered in fermented soy. There's also chickpea miso.
                  http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

organic and gluten free? go for it. use lots of seaweed and put tempe in the soup instead of tofu.

Comment

Miso tastes so yummy and healthy to me. I usually have a bowl when I go out for sushi. And I'll eat a little tofu in a dish from time to time, just to prove I'm not orthorexic.
                      F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Sometimes I like to smear miso on steak.

Comment

Frankly, I grew up on miso products and eat it on an almost daily basis. I am quite healthy and have yet to fall dead. In my culture, miso is a health food and eaten as almost a staple. Japanese and Koreans have been eating miso and soy products for centuries and they have been quite healthy until the introduction of western foods. If the philosophy espoused by the paleo/primal community regarding miso being harmful were in fact true, Japanese and Koreans should have all gone extinct a long time ago. Sometimes the level of food paranoia on this forum baffles and frustrates me. Geez, people! If you want miso, have some miso, live life a little and don't freak out about it. So long as your body doesn't have an adverse reaction to it, a little miso won't kill you. I personally think miso (and I'm talking about the real miso fermented in the true old fashioned way instead of pseudo-wheat miso full of MSG and additives manufactured in a lab and sold in most supermarkets) is really healthy for you and full of probiotics. People get so boggled down in the minutia and stress themselves out over minute little things. But if you are convinced miso is not good for you because it is a soy product, then just include it as part of the 20% and have it just rarely when a craving hits. The point is, it's great that you want to be healthy and I am a 100% supporter of the idea of eating REAL food (in which class I happen to think real miso belongs), but for crying out loud, life is SHORT so don't sweat the minutia. The whole point of being healthy is to enjoy life and live it fully, not to freak out about the "prohibited" foods.

Sorry, I didn't mean to attack your question, but I just had to vent out my frustration with people's obsession with minutia on this forum. I know, I know, sometimes it's hard to see the forest for the trees.
                          Last edited by Fiji; 01-25-2012, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiji View Post
                            Frankly, I grew up on miso products and eat it on an almost daily basis. I am quite healthy and have yet to fall dead. In my culture, miso is a health food and eaten as almost a staple. Japanese and Koreans have been eating miso and soy products for centuries and they have been quite healthy until the introduction of western foods. If the philosophy espoused by the paleo/primal community regarding miso being harmful were in fact true, Japanese and Koreans should have all gone extinct a long time ago. Sometimes the level of food paranoia on this forum baffles and frustrates me. Geez, people! If you want miso, have some miso, live life a little and don't freak out about it. So long as your body doesn't have an adverse reaction to it, a little miso won't kill you. I personally think miso (and I'm talking about the real miso fermented in the true old fashioned way instead of pseudo-wheat miso full of MSG and additives manufactured in a lab and sold in most supermarkets) is really healthy for you and full of probiotics. People get so boggled down in the minutia and stress themselves out over minute little things. But if you are convinced miso is not good for you because it is a soy product, then just include it as part of the 20% and have it just rarely when a craving hits. The point is, it's great that you want to be healthy and I am a 100% supporter of the idea of eating REAL food (in which class I happen to think real miso belongs), but for crying out loud, life is SHORT so don't sweat the minutia. The whole point of being healthy is to enjoy life and live it fully, not to freak out about the "prohibited" foods.

Sorry, I didn't mean to attack your question, but I just had to vent out my frustration with people's obsession with minutia on this forum. I know, I know, sometimes it's hard to see the forest for the trees.
                            Er no - primal questions raw soya, not fermented miso. It seems you have missed a key point of primal. Most Westerners have only encountered soya as a GM food in raw anti-nutrient-rich form as a cheap filler in cheap processed junk foods. That's a million miles away from what you're talking about.
                            Last edited by paleo-bunny; 01-25-2012, 04:58 PM.
                            F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Working...
                            X