Salt for Carb Flu?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salt for Carb Flu?

I've been reading really great book (The Art and Science of Low Carb Living by Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek ) and in one of the chapters addresses common concerns about low cab diets. One of those is "feeling faint, lightheaded, and under-the-weather." This is the response

I am very liberal with my salt, and never experienced carb flu-- totally anecdotal, I know, but for people just starting out who are having a rough time adjusting, upping the salt intake seems like it could be helpful.

Also, The Art and Science of Low Carb Living isn't primal/paleo per se, but I'm fricken' loving it-- it's written for nutrition professionals as much as regular people, so if you like your books science-y I'd definitely recommend it!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Savannah; 01-24-2012, 07:50 AM.

Yes! I always treated carb flu with 1-2 cups of bouillon per day. A lot of symptoms attributed to carb flu are actually due to an electrolyte imbalance. This lifestyle causes the body to flush a lot of fluids in the first few weeks. It really works. Try it people!
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

Yes, I used a little salt here and there, to transition. It helped With the icky symptoms.
      SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
      “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

Comment

I had pains in my right thigh for some reason. Salt and potassium helped a lot, almost immediately.

Comment

Working...
        X