Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IF'ing too much?

Ok, so here are my questions:

1. Can you IF too much? Would 24 fasts every day, say dinner to dinner be bad. Should I alternate them with days where I eat twice or three times a day? I think I read something on here once about it not being beneficial to IF more than 4 days in a row or something...

2. I am definitely not getting an entire day's worth of calories in on IF days. I am eating a large high fat, high protein meal. Is this ok?

I guess I just need some reasurance that I'm not doing myself harm or "destroying my metabolism" (I think this is a CW myth, but wanted to check with the wise groks and grokettes!)

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

I just don't think you should go hungry for more than a day, doesn't sound good even on a psychological level. I have nothing to back this up, just saying.

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with this approach. What you are talking about is essentially the Warrior diet (one large meal at the end of the day). If it works for you, then do it! It's all about finding out what works for us as individuals.

Me, I almost never eat until around lunch time and then have a dinner after that. I've done much tinkering with IFing and this is what works best for me and my body. No repurcussions or ill effects here, and great energy levels.

I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

I'm still new to the PB, so excuse my ignorance if this doesn't make any sense, but would it still be "intermitent" fasting, if you do it every day? I thought the whole point was to do it every once in awhile, so that you shake things up now and then.

Carpe Diem!

Comment

I practiced ever other day fasting for about three weeks. I found myself at the end of that time in a pretty chronic and unhealthy level of caloric depravation. I just couldn't "make up the calories" on the eating days. About once or twice a week works out well for me now.

Comment

That's actually a pretty good question.

If I'm not hungry in the morning until about lunch time, is it really considered fasting? Cuz really, I'm just not hungry.

when I want to shake things up I'll continue the 'fast' or 'break from eating' if you will, until dinner. Or I'll eat breakfast to shake things up. Shaking things up isn't all about caloric restrication IMO, it's about doing something your body doesn't expect you to do, in this case eating brekky is very unexpected after a week of no eating in the morning.

Sometimes I'll go ice climbing and climb all day in a fasted state. I will tell you, my doesn't wasn't expecting that!

IFing holds different meaning to anyone who practices it. My version is going to be different than someone elses.

I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

Lovestoclimb makes a good point about shaking things up. One's approach to IF should not be a mechanical one (ie. eating one large meal per day, or alternate-day fasting, or skipping the same meal every day, all in perpetuity) but an organic one that is informed both by how one's body is feeling and by an imaginative and natural sense of periods of feast and famine. After all, the body will adapt to one meal per day just as surely as it will adapt to three, or six.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

i'm limiting myself to 1 24hr every other week and doing regular IFs of 12, 14, 16, or 18hrs a couple times on the weeks i'm not fasting for 24hrs

i won't do warrior diet because seriously last night i ended up eating 5-600cals for the day after a 24hr IF! i don't want to get to the point where i can't listen to hunger signals because they are so muted so i'm mixing it up. today will prob be a refeed day up to 1600-1800

Comment

I do Warrior Diet type fasting. One meal a day. I found that I just wasn't getting hungry and could easily go 30+ hours without getting hungry. What I do to mix things up is to start eating three meals a day again for a few days. I'm actually about to make some eggs!

Comment

@ Primalchild, I definitely agree that IF shouldn't be set in stone or on a schedule, but I'm actually finding that I'm only wanting one meal, two at the most, like lovestoclimb. I'm just worried that I'm not getting enough to eat.

I'm going to try to make sure I have plenty of two meal days, and a couple one meal days in the week, to try to keep my calories up and my body working well.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
                    -John Lennon

Comment

You know, there seems to be a lot of confusion and bad advice being given in a lot of these posts where folks are voicing their opinions either in favor of or opposed to IFing, and I've noticed that there are several relevant details of the persons condition that are COMPLETELY IGNORED and left out of the discussion, which is both counter productive and leads to false reasoning and incorrect knowledge transfer to others.

IFing is a strategy that works for CERTAIN PEOPLE, under CERTAIN CONDITIONS for a SPECIFIC PURPOSE. For instance you seem to be expressing a general desire to practice IFing but then neglect to include in your post your key details, i.e. your:

AGE; are you young, middle, old, ancient?

HEIGHT; just the numbers

WEIGHT; feather, bantam, light, medium, heavy, off the scale obese?

BODY MASS; skeletal, anorexic, ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph, land whale?

HEALTH; pro athlete, amateur, ok, few problems, bad, near death?

METABOLIC STATE; light speed, average, molasses in January?

LIFESTYLE; speedy gonzales, active, average, sedentary, couch potato, comatose?

& EXERCISE; body builder, marathoner, jogger, 12 oz. curls, avoid at all costs...

If you're 6'-6", 240lbs. & a stone mason you're not far off the norm. If you're 5'-6", 240lbs. and do data entry and never excercise you've got a problem. The details are important, if not CRITICAL, to getting any GOOD advice.

The reason these details are relevant is because deliberate & regular IFing *WILL* put your body in a catabolic state, so deliberate IFing is premature and counterproductive FOR THESE PEOPLE that are obese, out of shape, not exercising or have health issues, are just starting out on the road to Primal health & lifestyle, and need to fire their metabolism to start the weight loss process.

FOR THESE PEOPLE firing the metabolism in order to burn fat instead of lean muscle mass can only be achieved by exercising and eating small meals at regular intervals. This is NOT CW, this is fact.

http://www.thepaleogarden.com/2009/11/13/vocab-lesson-catabolic-state/

If you're already in such a good state of health that you look and work out like Mark Sisson and have an active high metabolism, then eating small meals throughout the day is not as important, and DELIBERATELY missing a meal or two here and there won't hurt you and can even have additional positive effects, as all of Marks study and writings has shown. This also is NOT CW, this is fact.

But notice that BOTH STATEMENTS ARE TRUE, BUT SEPARATE FOR BOTH TYPES OF PEOPLE. The confusion of fact vs. CW comes with the misapplication of these strategies BY THE WRONG PEOPLE, IN THE WRONG ORDER and at THE WRONG TIMES IN THE PROCESS. It's no wonder that some of the people that post to this forum are discouraged, not successful, get sick, tired and are always hungry, or have plateaued or are having trouble starting or maintaining their weight loss program, all you have to do for proof of that is to scan and read the topics in this forum.

When you read enough of these topics and comments you begin to sense that there is a type of CW that is forming and being advanced by some of the members JUST WITHIN THIS FORUM , and in particular in regard to this subject of IFing.

It's for that reason that I encourage folks to do their own research FIRST, use your own brain & find out the facts for yourself and don't be in such a hurry to take knowledge shortcuts and rely on the CW of the members here. If you're just starting out on your program just acknowledge that there will be times that you will *unintentionally* miss meals, no doubt, it's gonna happen, so let that be your IF and don't worry about regular, deliberate IF until later when you get your metabolic rate up and going strong.

Get the facts, learn when and how to apply the science appropriately TO YOUR SITUATION, and *THEN* use the collective wisdom of the forum to fine tune your program. And don't leave the details out of your post, it's important to your success.

Comment

Um. 1st off. Reowrrrr.

Secondly, that's exactly what a forum is about. It's about telling people what works for US, personally and to help others to gather bits of information here and there.

We are all human and thus all completely different.

Your rant assumes that we are TELLING this person WHAT TO DO!!! (see, I can SHOUT TOO!).

Ugghh. Now I have a bad taste in my mouth...

Or maybe it's this 48 hr fast that I've been on....

Comment

Geesh...some people! Andyincc needs to chill out and realize what forums are for.

I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

YOU HEAR ME?!?!?! JUST MAKING SURE YOU CAN HEAR ME!!!

I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

sASSafrASS88, lemme put this in english so you'll understand.

Should you do IF, more, less, differently, always, not at all, ever??

Well how the hell would I know without knowing your deets and where you are in the health continium??

Minus the details, anything anyone has to offer is just OPINION.

LOTS of opinions in here, not a lot of specific, targeted factual and valuable advice. Anybody can spew opinion, just look at you. What works for you may not be practical, applicable or even safe for someone else.

You know what the CW is about opinions, and don't think yours doesn't stink either honey.

Take your misandry somewhere else.

Comment

Working...
                              X