• Show
Clear All

• Eggs with 2 yolks

Are they safe to eat?

yes.

Comment

And awesome.

Comment

They're like a super extra bonus magical gift from the egg gods.
        “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Thanks!, for some reason my mom claims they taste better, could that be?
          (It would explain the "gift from the egg gods" thingy).

Comment

I have a bell in my kitchen that gets rung on various occasions. A double yoker gets a bell ring and a wish made in our house.

Comment

Magical eggs? At the grocery store here, all of the Xl size eggs carton of eggs are double yokers.

Comment

Originally posted by angincanada View Post
                Magical eggs? At the grocery store here, all of the Xl size eggs carton of eggs are double yokers.
                Aye, those eggs are XL ones. I think XL eggs just tend to have 2 yolks, for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Drlove View Post
                  Aye, those eggs are XL ones. I think XL eggs just tend to have 2 yolks, for some reason.
                  Yeah, I've always wondered if the non-pastured XL ones were injected with some hormone for that to occur.
                  My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

We get them from time to time from our chickens! Good luck around our house.

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                      Yeah, I've always wondered if the non-pastured XL ones were injected with some hormone for that to occur.
                      Originally posted by Karma View Post
                      We get them from time to time from our chickens! Good luck around our house.
                      Well sakura, it seems to be legit. If it happens to Karma from her/his chickens, it's probably not caused by evil hormone injections, but it seems to be caused from some hormonal disturbance, though it's natural so I think it's okay and even blessed!

Comment

No, they will kill you. You need to pack up any you find and ship them to me for safe disposal ;>

Comment

Originally posted by Drlove View Post
                          Eggs are graded by weight... it stands to reason a larger egg with 2 yolks will get graded as XL most often.

I hate to admit this makes me want to run to the store (except that I can't drive) and get a carton of XL's to see if they are mostly doubles!
                          2x the yolk is always good.... except when they are tasteless factory eggs.
                          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

I've had family that has raised chickens for years. Double yolks happen most often in the spring when they start laying again after the winter. They are one of those things that just happens. They are no good if you are trying to save eggs for chicks, being as they usually won't survive to hatch.

Comment

10/12 in my XL carton were double yolks? But the larger hypothesis makes sense too.
                              My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Working...
                              X