Sugar Addiction or Fat Deprivation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sugar Addiction or Fat Deprivation?

I am having a really easy time not eating sugar or carbs. It is FAR harder to cut out the dairy or cheese. I used to be a horrible sugar addict- from the time I was a kid, and always sought to control calories by cutting fat. My days were usually very low in fat for my meals, then I'd go and eat a lot of very fatty sweets. Like I never ate gummy worms or drank soda- it was always fatty sweets that did the trick. I could eat low fat sweets all day and they were no more satiatating than a bunch of veggies. And I always needed fat on sweets for them to hit the spot- like whipped cream or ice cream.

I really avoided meal time fats- as a vegetarian, of course it was easy. Pasta with veggie sauces and low fat cheese, fish, veggies prepared with a tiny bit of olive oil. Always eggs were cut with whites. Any cheese sauce was made with skim milk. Nothing was ever satisfying and when I think back to what satisfied me and did not cause sugar cravings were quesadillas always with cheese, avocado, sour cream or veggie burgers, always with cheese, onions prepared in butter and mayonnaise.

I guess for me, fat is what tells me to stop eating, and I used to avoid, and what I did eat was consumed with large amounts of carbs. A small piece of cheese is very satisfying, while in the past, it was a bunch of low fat cheese on a bunch of fat free crackers. And without fat, I never really felt like stopping eating- never had an off switch no matter how many calories I would eat.

It's funny- I'm eating less, yet my meals seem oddly decadent. I never went through sugar withdrawal- just one day started eating this way- this large amount of fats and my body was like- hey, thanks- that's what I needed.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

yea, this coin, it has two sides

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
      fat is what tells me to stop eating
      Why Snack Food Is Addictive: The Grand Unified Theory of Snack Appeal - GNOLLS.ORG
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I need a good percentage of fat plus protein in every meal, otherwise it doesn't register as food. This explains why I never really got into cakes and biscuits, and for puddings was only interested in cheese cake, ice cream and custardy desserts.

Oh, I have the same feelings about cheese. I could never give up goats cheese ... I'm certain that my ancestors farmed goats, in mountainous terrain.
        Last edited by paleo-bunny; 01-23-2012, 08:26 AM. Reason: typo
        F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
          It's funny- I'm eating less, yet my meals seem oddly decadent. I never went through sugar withdrawal- just one day started eating this way- this large amount of fats and my body was like- hey, thanks- that's what I needed.
          ^^^^This, exactly. I am also a recovering sugar/grain addict, and this is exactly how I feel. Funny, for having given up an entire food group (grains), I don't feel deprived at all.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

Working...
          X