IBS, Food Obsession, Eating Disorder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Byakko View Post
    Would it be wiser and more advantageous to see a nutritionist or dietitian than to shell out money just so someone can test me for food allergies? I feel like an allergy doctor isn't going to be able to help me too much. I'd like someone to really take into account my personal situation and help me learn to plan meals suited for my own needs. I think for the most part, yes, avoiding grains, dairy and sugar would be good. But there are times that I eat other things and still get constipated or pains or whatever. Are nutritionists/dietitians able to help more with food sensitivity and do they have the means/knowledge to also test things like blood sugar and all that? Because so far, I don't have sudden violent reactions to foods like those with peanut allergies do or if I did it comes and goes and it's hard to pin point what does and doesn't bother me.

So...

Nutritionist/dietitian OR allergy doctor?
    In the UK, on the NHS we only get access to an allergy doctor if we are seriously ill. All allergy tests are rationed. I had to argue fiercely with my doctor before he referred me for 10 standard skin prick allergy tests administered by a nurse. Three were for hay fever, in the middle of winter, thus a complete waste of time as my body didn't have any antibodies to pollen at that time of year. I wasn't even asked if I wanted to be tested for anything in particular.

I wouldn't know if the situation is any better where you live, but as you do not have classic allergic symptoms, it's much more likely you have food intolerances.

I've had some intolerances picked up through vega testing. I spent about 200 on seeing a very highly rated alternative practitioner who also practices as a conventional doctor. He was a lot more help than a conventional doctor.

I saw a holistic naturopathic nutritionist a few months ago who picked up a few things like possible magnesium deficiency. So they can be worth the money. She doesn't have a medical degree. She used to be a police woman but got very sick with IBS and chronic fatigue. After she managed to cure herself through diet she changed career to help others with nutritionally related problems.

I recommend you cut out sugar, wheat and dairy for a month and see what difference that makes, before investing any cash in seeing nutritionists or other health practitioners. You're probably reacting to other foods as well because your gut lining is damaged and your body in a general state of inflammation.

Poor bowel function has become so widespread in the UK population, it's now accepted as normal. I'm sure the main reason is that people are eating far too many grains these days as well as far too many processed foods.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 01-26-2012, 05:33 AM. Reason: typo
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Save your money, go on a strict elimination diet, become your own personal health care practitioner. No grain, no milk, no sugar, no egg whites, for a minimum of 3 weeks. Then introduce one thing, and pay attention to the signals your body gives you for the next 3 or 4 days. Headache, stuffy nose, rash, bloating, belching, gas, diarrhea, a sudden jump in weight = signs of intolerance.
      There's a crack inside of everything, that's how the light gets in. ~Leonard Cohen
      Journal, From Sick to Fit: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45653.html

Comment

^I completely agree with this and what others have said on elimination.
        Depression Lies

Comment

I see. Seems like everyone is in agreement with this issue.

Trust me I'd rather not spend money but just trying to do primal/paleo was stressful enough because I had a hard time coming up with meals plans and recipes and trying to make sure I got well rounded nutrition. Cutting out those things the big 3 is hard enough when you live with people who bring it home and eat it all the time. I guess I'll have to drive home to my family that this isn't about weight and that they should take my health seriously.

Still, I need a starting point as I mentioned a few pages back. My eating at this present time is very staggered and not regular and often times all I eat is eggs and whatever my mom prepares for dinner. Sometimes I'll have eggs for dinner if I don't like what she makes or I'll make stir fried frozen vegetables. Sounds to me that i need to start off pretty bland. I like Italian and Chinese dishes but those are heavily spiced (and probably full of nightshades.) Not to mention the sauces and condiments can be challenging because of ingredients.

Unlike some people I don't have a local co-op, farmer's market or special health food store available in the area (I'd have to go 45 min. away for that.)

What I'm saying is it's hard to subtract when I barely eat anything each day.
          F|26yr|5'3"
          1st Start: 8.25.12
          SW: 151 CW: 147 GW: -150
          HW: 195

Comment

I understand completely

I have to chime in on this because I understand so many of your issues and my heart goes out to you.
            1. my anxiety and stomach are completely linked. If I am super anxious in minutes I am rushing off....
            2. I am 33 and have had problems my entire life. My mother always exclaims - it is your anxiety ! Yet- even when I am nice and calm and happily relaxing with my husband my stomach hurts. so..I dunno.
            3. I have been to every doc. and done every test. I have done the allergy blood test. I have paid a ton for a Naturopath...etc. I am still a mess.
            4. I have done the elimination diet and I have the exact problem you mention. How do I figure out my problems when I never get to normal? I did an elimination diet that had me on only meat and veggies. i felt ill. I did just meat- still felt ill. So, how do you begin adding things back in when you can't get to a normal where you feel good.
            5. I have had about 4 days in my entire life where I have felt good. During those times I was keeping a food diary. I completely duplicated my day- food wise- exercise wise- even where I went that day. I couldn't replicate the good.
            6. The only thing I have pinned down after years and years of this rollercoaster is that my body hates alcohol. That is the only thing I have an immediate response to each time- not immediately after- but a solid 4 hours later I am in pain.

I stay primal because I believe in the philosophy of it. However, I feel like crap most of the time. In fact- the more veggies I eat the worse I feel. If I eat more meat and less veggies in one day I do feel a little better but I am no where near a normal person.
            did the bone broth thing...gelatin...probiotics..enzymes...

I did the SCD very strictly for the intro diet. I was on the intro for about a week and never felt good so I ditched it. again- I thought how can I add things back in when I can't get to a normal to begin with?

So- anyway- I am not meaning to depress you but fully sympathize- FULLY. I will read all responses that people post to you to see if there is still something I have not tried.

Comment

^Like any elimination diet, spending a week on SCD might not be enough. It takes at least a month for most people to really feel a change when there's something wrong with the way their body processes food, not just a reaction to the food it's being given. If you feel better with more meat, you might need to supplement some kind of amino acid, but I couldn't tell you what one. My immediate thought goes to checking out out "Depression-Free: Naturally" and "the Mood Cure" (look on Amazon, I forget the authors) which discuss the use of supplements specifically amino acids to treat "mood disorders" such as depression & anxiety. There may have been mention of physical symptoms as well but I can't recall offhand.
              Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                ^Like any elimination diet, spending a week on SCD might not be enough. It takes at least a month for most people to really feel a change when there's something wrong with the way their body processes food, not just a reaction to the food it's being given. If you feel better with more meat, you might need to supplement some kind of amino acid, but I couldn't tell you what one. My immediate thought goes to checking out out "Depression-Free: Naturally" and "the Mood Cure" (look on Amazon, I forget the authors) which discuss the use of supplements specifically amino acids to treat "mood disorders" such as depression & anxiety. There may have been mention of physical symptoms as well but I can't recall offhand.
                Yes at least a month sometimes to be convinced.
                F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

[QUOTE=

Personally, I found food elimination diets to work best for me. It is a long, slow, tedious process - in fact, I think there are probably a few things I am still missing, but overall it is helpful.[/QUOTE]

same here. and emphasis on the long, slow and tedious. but worthwhile.
                  Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
                  Friend me on "The Facebook"
                  Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

Comment

Originally posted by ASmallOne View Post
                    same here. and emphasis on the long, slow and tedious. but worthwhile.
                    +1

It's taken me years.

Comment

scd

hmmm...interesting what you say about the SCD. I thought the intro diet was supposed to get you through die off and then get you to a place that you felt good enough to start adding in new foods but not to stay on it longer then 5 days. is that wrong? should I stay on the intro diet for as long as up to a month to see if I feel better? Or would I start adding in some new foods even if I don't feel 100% yet? I appreciate the feedback.

I did a lot of elimination diets. I did stick with one for two months- it was: no grains (gluten falling in this category), no peanuts, no caffeine, no alcohol, no dairy, no chocolate, no eggs (I feel like I am forgetting something)...again with the idea of adding stuff back in when I felt better. After two months I didn't feel better. Should I have done that longer as well?

Comment

I believe that 2 months is long enough.

Comment

Actually a few weeks is long enough.

Comment

....so I'm not sure what to do on my own.

Anybody try FODmAPS? I'm reading about that too.

Say I were to try that. Do I like...look up a low FODMAPS list, eat those foods, document how they make me feel and then add the high FODMAP foods or what? Because I need to know what to do meal wise.

I'm over my diarrhea now but I haven't been to the bathroom sense I'm always sore and tired now...and constipated once again. According to Gutsense.com I should be voiding after each meal. That's not happening and I am eating solid foods. The site also says that water has little do with helping constipation and the more water I drink the more I have to pee.

Although I'm craving juice (especially OJ) I will limit my beverages to water and teas. That's the only thing I have a handle on besides using fruits for my sugar cravings. I don't want to crave anything. I just want to eat when I'm hungry. I don't find any enjoyment when I eat. Dx

I think I will have to see a dietitian because I have yet to find out how to start doing this and I need to start soon because I'm miserable.

(Sorry to emote but I'm feeling pained.)

And this point eating really crappily because I'm beyond confused.
                            F|26yr|5'3"
                            1st Start: 8.25.12
                            SW: 151 CW: 147 GW: -150
                            HW: 195

Comment

...I had a hard time coming up with meals plans and recipes and trying to make sure I got well rounded nutrition....
                              [...]
                              My eating at this present time is very staggered and not regular
                              [...]
                              What I'm saying is it's hard to subtract when I barely eat anything each day.
                              So, from what I read, you are bound to feel very bad indeed simply due to malnourishment at the moment. Craving sugar is a classic sign of insufficient meat and animal fats. I never crave sugar, but then again I eat fat for almost every meal. For example, this morning I ate eggs fried in hard coconut fat, for lunch a piece of Italian raw ham (a little tough but very fatty) and for dinner I will have a big fat steak. And maybe some peas.

I'm no expert, but I concur that many people seem to gain from cutting out all sugar, grain and dairy. No harm in trying, and if you feel better you can start adding stuff back.

You are going to have to get your fat consumption up. You need to eat fat for energy. Start frying everything in lard and putting butter on everything. My lunch was very small today, but because the ham had so much fat and because I put cream in my coffee, I'm not hungry. I find almost everything tastes better fried in lard with butter on it. Then at least you will a starting point for finding out what is wrong without actually starving.
                              ...I guess I'll have to drive home to my family that this isn't about weight and that they should take my health seriously....
                              Not about weight? Are you by any chance already very over or under weight?

Comment

The FODMAP diet made a huge difference for me. To identify if it works for you it is an elimination strategy just like all the rest.
                                First, eliminate everything containing FODMAPS for three weeks. Then 'test' high-FODMAP foods groups one by one (three days to a week apart) and observe what happens. It's a long and tedious process, but can be worth the trouble.
                                Here is a printable-FODMAP food chart:
                                http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index...h&attach_id=28

Comment

Working...
                                X