No announcement yet.

IBS, Food Obsession, Eating Disorder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a lot of digestive/intestinal issues - had a total colectomy 7 years ago and have struggled with similar issues. I understand you are on a tight budget, but I would highly recommend you add two very important supplements before even worrying about what specific food is causing the issue. The first is a PROBIOTIC. Most likely, your intestinal flora has been destroyed and a probiotic will help to rebuild that. It must be a good quality and at a theraputic dose of 14 billion or more. The second suggestion is to take a digestive enzyme with every meal. This will help you to digest the fats and proteins much better, and get better absorption of the nutrients. Then, definitely eliminate dairy and grains, especially gluten! If you do these alone, you very well might see improvements within a week or less!!

Comment

namelesswonder: It's not much a matter of motivation or committing...it's a matter of getting a working plan together.

paleo-bunny: Thanks a lot for replying to my thread.

I have to say the foods I crave the most tend to be grains (pasta, bread, cake etc) dairy, (ice cream, yogurt, cheese) and sugar (For most of my life I'd eaten Cheerios for breakfast..and that was way before I got IBS, but I think that was stress-induced anyway.)

And yes, I rarely get an immediate reaction which has made it hard to pin point things. If I get sick it usually occurs at night which is damn annoying. Sometimes I make my self stay up because I'm afraid of even trying to sleep. Not good I know. I do have to fix that.

ATM I'm eating two pieces of (refined bread) toast because I read it's good to eat for diarrhea. I'd rather not be eating it thought knowing it could also be part of the problem. Maybe white rice would be better? But I have to eat something! God I feel like I'm insane. I want to eat, but I'm afraid to and I never know what to do. I shouldn't be this stressed about food, which is a basic necessity.

What I'm not liking is the resistance I'm getting from my family. On one hand I have a grandmother who believes anything can be solved by popping a pill and that I shouldn't worry about what I eat and that a little sugar won't hurt. And on the other hand I have a mother who feels sorry for me but doesn't seem to want to believe that food does have a big influence on health. She seems to think I'm overreacting in wanting to change what I eat. My parents and brother all eat horribly. My dad, who has a rather stressful job, always develops some kind of vice. First it was smoking cigars, then chewing tobacco now it's candy. There must be 3-4 different boxes of cookies in the cabinet and other candy. They consume soda, kool-aid and other fake beverages and my mother is a picky eater, yet she complains of joint and muscle problems.

So...I'm aggravated. I wonder...if I can get an official declaration from a doctor, maybe they'll take things seriously, but I hate that it may come to that. I want to know but I also want them to know that it's true. My dad is allergic to tomatoes (and he will also react to some red dyes in candy...though that doesn't stop him eating the sweets) and my mother has made changes for him when it comes to recipes. But it feels like it's not worth it to change for me because it's far more drastic and not easy to pin point. When I told her I wanted to go paleo/primal I could feel her resistance right away.

Kind of hard to eat right when the majority of foods she brings in are unhealthy (and trust me if I had my own job and money coming in this wouldn't be as big an issue.) In fact whenever she goes shopping I see more snack foods than actual meal items (ex. veggies) I was hoping to become a source of motivation/inspiration to get healthy, but all they see is that I'm neurotic and paranoid about food/health. But who could blame me? I don't like being in pain or being tired or overweight.

Sorry to rant, but I'm kind of depressed atm.
      F|26yr|5'3"
      1st Start: 8.25.12
      SW: 151 CW: 147 GW: -150
      HW: 195

Comment

No problem. Yes, given what you crave, you should eliminate all dairy and grains immediately as theffler suggests. I also suggest eliminating deadly nightshade as your father reacts to tomato (eliminate aubergine, peppers, chilli, white potatoes).

I recommend white rice and sweet potatoes for starch every day. As you feel safe with bananas, eat a few a day. They have quite a bit of starch and the potassium will help keep your electrolytes up if you have an upset tummy (I think you are intuitively self-medicating).

If you have to eat bread, yes, white bread is best. Don't worry too much about the sugar in the short term. Maybe try a bit of honey instead.

When you are being very restrictive, try to eat plenty of very nutrient dense foods like sweet potatoes, oily fish, olive oil, broccoli, red onions. It's safest to eat simple foods and avoid any packaged foods and sauces which have a lot of ingredients you may react to. Eating simple food also puts less strain on your digestive system. If your meal only contains 4-8 individual fresh ingredients that's ideal.

If you like eggs I would not eliminate they yet but they have to be considered.

I suggest having bananas or boiled eggs or both for breakfast each day.

Other good meals include a sweet potato smothered with coconut oil with a steak or other meat. It's hard to make any further recommendations without knowing where you live and the local cuisine, and whether there is any scope for persuading your mother to allow you to cook for yourself. I think that is worth addressing so you can gain more control.

I've only been on the coconut oil for 10 days, but I feel the benefit already and it is great for the immune system, and yours is obviously under stress.

I've been through exactly what you're describing with resistance from family and friends. I find it is often much more stressful than coping with the symptoms themselves, because it is a rejection of what you are going through, and can be extremely difficult to cope with emotionally. Of course, this stress exacerbates symptoms. It's hard to believe that your mother is so incredulous about your food intolerances given that your father has a food allergy. Allergies and intolerances often run in the family - they do in mine. Still my mother has been incredulous many a time and it's been a power struggle when eating with her. Fortunately, I've been able to cook for myself while identifying my food intolerances, and not been too stretched on my budget, but cost is a consideration for me.

What I really gets my goat is the 'Oh everyone gets bloating from eating wheat... blah blah blah' from people who have obviously never suffered any serious symptoms. And I can see the cogs whirring in their facial expression, labelling me as a hypochondriac. This can put me right off a person when I meet them for the first time ... and has put a massive strain on existing relationships. I don't want to explain all the symptoms I get because some are quite personal and often it's a case of a general malaise. I'm very sick and tired of not wanting to have to explain again to someone who's unwilling to understand.

I've had very bad experiences with doctors dismissing my symptoms (that's in the UK), so I'd only consult a doctor with very low expectations. Doing your own research on the Internet can be very empowering, but it's easy for me to say that as I have a biochemistry degree, which makes it so much easier.

If you want to PM me, please feel free.
        Last edited by paleo-bunny; 01-23-2012, 12:58 PM. Reason: typo
        F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.
          (PMed you.)
          F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

Read this entire page: Gutsense.org: IBS
            Positively Radical Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

Comment

HillsideGina: Wow...some of this stuff is scary (on the conventional medicine side of things)...and a tad confusing. But thanks for linking. I will definitely read through this. Hopefully I won't have too tough a time understanding the stats etc.
              F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                Bone stocks are very healing to the gut and nutritious
                I would also add some sauerkraut, but not just any kind on the shelf. Look for Bubbies or something at your local co-op. Whenever I have a stomach ache that's what I eat. Sounds like your gut needs some good live enzymes and probiotics.

Comment

I am convinced that my longstanding IBS was caused/aggravated by continuous exposure to gluten and lactose. Once I removed those two things, it immediately got better. Also, agree with the recommendation to do a good 1 to 2 week course of high quality probiotics, and digestive enzymes with meals until your gut heals.

The sad, SAD thing is that 30 years ago when my Dr. first uttered the phrase IBS to me, his "treatment" was: no raw foods, and drink a glass of milk with a couple saltine crackers to "settle" my stomach. I would do that, the pain and bloating would get to a point where I would just drink water for days and then it would subside. I've spent a lot of wasted time with pain that was unnecessary, all I needed to do was eliminate gluten and lactose.
                  There's a crack inside of everything, that's how the light gets in. ~Leonard Cohen
                  Journal, From Sick to Fit: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45653.html

Comment

I have to say I am a bit frustrated the site doesn't give an outline of a healthy meal plan (well not a plan but a sample of what a IBS friendly diet would consist of.) But then I haven't looked too deeply into his nutritional pages.

Sometimes the idea of only eating 2-3 meals is challenging because I've heard and read the same old thing of "eat 5-6 small meals a day!" crap. But I think if we stopped eating food that made us hungry and gave us cravings all the damn time, perhaps we wouldn't feel the need to consume all through the day. Why should I have a midday snack if breakfast was power packed to keep me going for a longer time. I really think if I was hungry I should just eat.

I have an appointment to see a allergy doctor. I know those tests aren't always accurate but at least I can say I tried. Perhaps what I need is a nutritionist (which is what I've always wanted to go to). It's the planning of meals and rounding out nutritional needs that I need assistance with.

So enzymes and probiotics are recommended by a number of people. Any recommendations? At one time my mom thought I should try that...Alli or whatever it's called. But I was paranoid about it giving me an upset stomach or having a laxative effect.
                    F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

As someone who suffered with colitis for a couple of years I can't recomend the SCD(Specific Carbohydrate Diet)diet highly enough.

Breaking the Vicious Cycle - The Specific Carbohydrate Diet

It is based on pretty sound science about digestion and worked so well I came off all meds and have been clear of all symptoms for years now. It's not something you have to be on for ever either I used it for two years till I felt fully healed then switched to Paleo.

The site has a beginners guide and a legal and illegal list. All you have to do is eat things on the legal list and your fine to go. There's plenty of recipe books on Amazon and you can google free ones too if you need meal ideas.

Comment

here is a very helpful online Forum for IBS
                        Sign In - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
                        Particularly check out the 'diet' section.

Comment

threelions: Illegal: Chocolate

...*dies*

Actually I used to be allergic to chocolate as a kid. It would make me break into itchy bumps. But thankfully I got over that. I stopped eating milk chocolate and turned to dark chocolate...but I guess it's still really caffeinated.
                          F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

Uh guys quick question.

I have an appointment to see a allergy doctor regarding what foods I might be allergic to...next Thursday.

Now, somehow I feel that this would not put much of a spot light on things unlikely to be considered (like certain "healthy" foods that may cause problems.)

Would it be wiser and more advantageous to see a nutritionist or dietitian than to shell out money just so someone can test me for food allergies? I feel like an allergy doctor isn't going to be able to help me too much. I'd like someone to really take into account my personal situation and help me learn to plan meals suited for my own needs. I think for the most part, yes, avoiding grains, dairy and sugar would be good. But there are times that I eat other things and still get constipated or pains or whatever. Are nutritionists/dietitians able to help more with food sensitivity and do they have the means/knowledge to also test things like blood sugar and all that? Because so far, I don't have sudden violent reactions to foods like those with peanut allergies do or if I did it comes and goes and it's hard to pin point what does and doesn't bother me.

So...

Nutritionist/dietitian OR allergy doctor?
                            F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

Uh guys quick question.

I have an appointment to see a allergy doctor regarding what foods I might be allergic to...next Thursday.

Now, somehow I feel that this would not put much of a spot light on things unlikely to be considered (like certain "healthy" foods that may cause problems.)

Would it be wiser and more advantageous to see a nutritionist or dietitian than to shell out money just so someone can test me for food allergies? I feel like an allergy doctor isn't going to be able to help me too much. I'd like someone to really take into account my personal situation and help me learn to plan meals suited for my own needs. I think for the most part, yes, avoiding grains, dairy and sugar would be good. But there are times that I eat other things and still get constipated or pains or whatever. Are nutritionists/dietitians able to help more with food sensitivity and do they have the means/knowledge to also test things like blood sugar and all that? Because so far, I don't have sudden violent reactions to foods like those with peanut allergies do or if I did it comes and goes and it's hard to pin point what does and doesn't bother me.

So...

Nutritionist/dietitian OR allergy doctor?
                              F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

Food allergy testing at an MD will probably be the skin test type that will identify IgE responses (true allergies). If you have a food intolerance it will not show up on that test. There are some blood based IgG food intolerance tests available, but I'm not sure how helpful they are. I had one years ago. It did identify eggs and oats which I was intolerant of, but missed most of the big ones and listed tons of foods I feel fine when I eat.

Personally, I found food elimination diets to work best for me. It is a long, slow, tedious process - in fact, I think there are probably a few things I am still missing, but overall it is helpful.
                                Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Working...
                                X