Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Quinoa ok? How about sprouted grain breads?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Quinoa ok? How about sprouted grain breads?

Ive read that it is a seed. i would like to use quinoa flour for making a grainless bread.

use what you want. i understand it to be a grain.

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
      use what you want. i understand it to be a grain.
      I thought it was a seed which is used as a substitute grain - as is buckwheat? And it has a saponin coating, which is why it has to be washed a lot before cooking.

Comment

i don't eat either, so it doesn't concern me.

Comment

Why do you want bread...?

Search Results | Mark's Daily Apple

Comment

Eat what you want.

As for bread: Archevore - Archevore Blog - Smoking Candy*Cigarettes
            Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

I'm re-reading the PB, and I just got to the part about quinoa. It's not a grain, it's a seed. A chenopod, related to beets and spinach.

Comment

I wouldn't eat quinoa, and I ESPECIALLY wouldn't BAKE a seed. Nothing like megadosing high quantities of rancid, oxidized omega 6 straight out of the oven. I'd rather eat white bread than these awful concoctions made out of almond meal, quinoa flour or flax meal around here.

The goal is to get off bread, not to find a substitute. If you give it time, the amazing thing is after a few months you won't WANT any bread. Take this from an Italian that ate bread with every meal every day of his life and "could never fathom the thought of not eating bread and pasta." I don't miss either, and even when it's in front of me I have little desire. If you keep feeding your addiction with substitutes, you'll never get over your addiction. What you're doing is akin to swapping sugar with artificial sweetener - you're still addicted to sweet, and you're substituting one toxic chemical for another.
                Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 01-21-2012, 09:12 AM.
                Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Mark's current position in the new version of his food pyramid is that quinoa is okay in moderation for athletes as a carb option. But that's not the same as making pseudo bread. If you want to eat quinoa cooked like rice as a side dish, porridge, or (my fave) a substitute for bulgur in tabouli, that's one thing, but I have to agree, making a bread substitute is not going to help much in getting yourself on track with primal eating.
                  “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Bread tastes like cardboard once you go Primal.

There's some neat coconut-flour based breads out there. Maybe for a once-in-awhile nosh.

Eff quinoa! It's loaded with carbs and doesn't have as much protein as "they" say. I'd rather eat meat! Eggs!
                    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

I agree ditch the bread! It's much easier then it is to use substitutes. It will just make you want normal bread more trust me! This is why I don't make paleo pancakes/cookies/cakes/ or bread. You need to learn to eat differently. Trust me it can be very DELICIOUS!
                      Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

Some really good info on quinoa and why none of us should eat any grains including rice which some on here seem to think is healthy!?.

Is Quinoa Healthy to Eat? | Brent Kearney

Your Leaky Gut May Be Caused By Excessive Grain Consumption

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                          I wouldn't eat quinoa, and I ESPECIALLY wouldn't BAKE a seed. Nothing like megadosing high quantities of rancid, oxidized omega 6 straight out of the oven. I'd rather eat white bread than these awful concoctions made out of almond meal, quinoa flour or flax meal around here.

The goal is to get off bread, not to find a substitute. If you give it time, the amazing thing is after a few months you won't WANT any bread. Take this from an Italian that ate bread with every meal every day of his life and "could never fathom the thought of not eating bread and pasta." I don't miss either, and even when it's in front of me I have little desire. If you keep feeding your addiction with substitutes, you'll never get over your addiction. What you're doing is akin to swapping sugar with artificial sweetener - you're still addicted to sweet, and you're substituting one toxic chemical for another.
                          What Choco said. I'm almost a year into paleo, and I don't think about bread anymore. Or pasta.

Rethink how you eat. Creating substitutes just makes you miss the "real thing" all the more, because a substitute just isn't going to cut it. I made my share of almond and coconut breads when I started. They always disappointed.
                          Steph
                          My Primal Meanderings

Comment

I've tried quinoa before I went primal and it caused bloating so I wouldn't try eating that again.

I understand why it's hard to let go of bread as sandwiches are so easy to eat for a packed lunch at work.

I have a sweet potato instead - they're pretty convenient if you have a microwave handy.
                            F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Working...
                            X