Cooking with wine's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking with wine's

OK all so I know dry red wine is OK occasionally as it has antioxidants in it. What about cooking with white wine? Right now I just stick to dry red wine for one recipe a month...but was wondering what issues there are with cooking with white wine, so I could add some new recipes.. Doesn't cooking it make all the alcohol evaporate? Isn't it just like adding grapes to your diet, or is there something else?
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

The alcohol does get burned off. Also, you put maybe one glass of wine worth in a recipe which gets spread out over 4 servings so it's not really very much wine. It's like adding lemon juice to make a sauce.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
      The alcohol does get burned off. Also, you put maybe one glass of wine worth in a recipe which gets spread out over 4 servings so it's not really very much wine. It's like adding lemon juice to make a sauce.
      Fallacy, you never "burn" it all off.
      Read. The. Book.

Comment

The alcohol does tend to boil off quite quickly as it has a lower boiling point than water. Still, it's best to simmer for a few minutes to reduce down the wine before adding any stock.
        F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Satch12879 View Post
          Fallacy, you never "burn" it all off.
          This is correct.

A study conducted by the US Department of Agriculture’s Nutrient Data Laboratory calculated the percentage of alcohol remaining in a dish based on various cooking methods. The results are as follows:

Preparation Method and Percent of Alcohol Retained

alcohol added to boiling liquid & removed from heat 85%
          alcohol flamed 75%
          no heat, stored overnight 70%
          baked, 25 minutes, alcohol not stirred into mixture 45%
          baked/simmered, alcohol stirred into mixture:
          15 minutes 40%
          30 minutes 35%
          1 hour 25%
          1.5 hours 20%
          2 hours 10%
          2.5 hours 5%

source: Does alcohol burn off in cooking?

It is one of those falicies that concerns me because my wife is allergic to alcohol.

Comment

My dad always said the wine cooks off. But I guess some of the sugar/carbs might not. Big whoop.

Comment

Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
              My dad always said the wine cooks off. But I guess some of the sugar/carbs might not. Big whoop.
              It might not be a big whoop to you, but the alcohol does not always/ever cook off completly. That is a big whoop if someone is allergic, an alcoholic or avoids alcohol for personal or religious reasons. I was always told it burns off as well, but when I married my alcohol allergic wife I had to look more closely at the subject.

Comment

it DOES NOT all burn off

also, never cook with any wine that you wouldn't drink on it's own. crappy wine will ruin a dish. and stay away from "cooking wines" at the grocery store unless you absolutely have no other choice (medical reason, etc). those things are nasty

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                  it DOES NOT all burn off

also, never cook with any wine that you wouldn't drink on it's own. crappy wine will ruin a dish. and stay away from "cooking wines" at the grocery store unless you absolutely have no other choice (medical reason, etc). those things are nasty
                  I always buy drinking quality wine to cook with. I also reduce it for about 45 mins then use it in a recipe that goes in the crockpot for another 6 hours. So I am guessing not much retained at this point?

So is that it then? Just a little alcohol and grapes? I guess the other way I would cook with it would be if I baked with it. I used to love white wine sauces...it would be nice to have that once in awhile.
                  Primal since March 2011

Comment

I LOVE red wine in all of my red meat dishes...my uncle (who owns a restaurant in Bavaria) is a Cook/Chef and red or white wines are his secret to many of his very delicious sauces Buy organic/sulfite free!

Comment

Even if it isn't all burned off, there is no alcoholic taste, you don't get drunk off it and it's quite diluted. If you are an alcoholic or have problems with it, you probably shouldn't even have wine in the house, but if you aren't, there's no reason to believe cooking with wine will hurt you. If you are worried about the sugar in white wine, use dry white wine.
                      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

why are you stressing about a little wine? if it makes you happy, drink it. use it in your sauces. who cares? count it as your 20% if you're in to keeping tabs on that sort of stuff.

Comment

See video below.

The video depicts a squirrel blitzed off its ass because it ate fermented pumpkins that were lying out in the yard. Alcohol ingestion is a natural thing, and is very Primal or Paleo, regardless of what "they" tell you IMO. What isn't normal: fancy, sugary mixed drinks, grainy beers, wine coolers - that stuff. Alcohol itself is harmless in tiny quantities and can even be beneficial. In fact, I've seen studies showing 0.5-1oz of alcohol a day actually aids weight loss. Think about it: there is no efficient pathway to turn alcohol itself into fat. It's all the fat and carbs you eat/drink WITH the alcohol that makes you fat. Actual alcoholics that stick to the hard stuff are rail thin. My guess is that small quantities of alcohol were normal from scavenging fermented foods, but it could never amount to more than one or two drinks at a time, which is why tiny amounts seem to be beneficial and then quickly escalate. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

My point: to freak out over a glass of wine split 4 ways in a recipe, then having some of the alcohol boil off is nuts. Just use REAL wine to cook with - not cooking wine. They're often loaded with sodium and preservatives. I just buy a 1.5L bottle of cabernet and pinot for $8/bottle so I always have plenty of red and white on-hand for cooking.
                          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                            why are you stressing about a little wine? if it makes you happy, drink it. use it in your sauces. who cares? count it as your 20% if you're in to keeping tabs on that sort of stuff.
                            I just wanted to make sure it was alright if I was going to make it a semi-regular thing. I don't drink hardly at all actually..it makes me sick really easily. I don't see the need unless I'm in a social gathering. My 20% is more like 2% when I go out to eat and can't control everything, or when I'm at a gathering of sorts.. or the occasional ice cream in the summer.

But thanks for all the reply's! I feel better about looking into some white wine recipes now!
                            Primal since March 2011

Comment

Use wine! It's an AWESOME ingredient. But get real wine, not "cooking wine." That stuff is foul. Sherry is good. Oh, and if you want something really decadent for a party, you can make Bourbon Yams. Yuuuum.

Comment

Working...
                              X