Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Paula Deen become the new face of Paleo/Primal eating?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Paula Deen become the new face of Paleo/Primal eating?

Paula's diet is totally Paleo, with the exception of a few vices in it (sugar and flour.)

With her recent "outing" as a diabetic, many people are quick to point the finger at her abnormal fascination with butter-fried in butter dipped in butter, covered in melted butter.

Let's turn Paula Deen around and teach her the error of her ways (mostly her refined carb intake) and get her over on our side. She'll still have her show, except now she can cook Paleo-friendly, low-carb, high-fat meals and bring Paleo/Primal to the public.

No. She's deceived people to compromise their health for her financial gain. She shouldn't be the "face" of anything.

Comment

Do you think she deliberately deceived people or was all that sugar & flour typical CW ignorance? I know next to nothing about the woman (don't have a TV) but agree if someone that well known were she to turn her diabetes around with paleo it would be amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Roth View Post
        Paula's diet is totally Paleo, with the exception of a few vices in it (sugar and flour.)

With her recent "outing" as a diabetic, many people are quick to point the finger at her abnormal fascination with butter-fried in butter dipped in butter, covered in melted butter.

Let's turn Paula Deen around and teach her the error of her ways (mostly her refined carb intake) and get her over on our side. She'll still have her show, except now she can cook Paleo-friendly, low-carb, high-fat meals and bring Paleo/Primal to the public.
        Flour is made from grains, which are the biggest vice for Paleos. And sugar isn't so good either. How is she different from CW advocates?
        A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

You live by the wheat you die by the wheat...either you drop grains and refined foods or face the consequences.
          Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
          PS
          Don't forget to play!

Comment

I don't see her diet as anywhere near paleo or primal. Yes, she loves bacon, butter, and meat, as many of us do, but she also uses lots of sugar, grains, and bad cooking oils in her recipes. Now, I would love it if she went primal, got her health in order, and became a poster child for what good, whole, healthy foods can do for you even when they're tasty and full of natural fats, red meats, etc. It doesn't matter to me what she has been or what she is now. If she could get her act together, then I'd be happy for her and glad to have someone with a big spotlight on her show the advantages of healthy food.

Comment

We have a poster chef - Michael Symon. I think he only uses grains when he has little choice, most of his Iron Chef dishes have none.
              Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

Originally posted by LJH View Post
                Do you think she deliberately deceived people or was all that sugar & flour typical CW ignorance?...
                You think she was diabetic but kept cooking with all of that sugar and high GI food because she didn't know it was bad?

Comment

Butter isn't true paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by ElaineC View Post
                    We have a poster chef - Michael Symon. I think he only uses grains when he has little choice, most of his Iron Chef dishes have none.
                    Hell yeah -- and he's a helluva lot better-looking...

Comment

Originally posted by ElaineC View Post
                      I don't see it... went to his Food Network recipes and most of them had grains.

Comment

Went to Paula's website. The first hit in "recipes" is Seven Figure Friendly Meals. Samples:

Southwestern Avocado and Black Bean Salad serves four
                        1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro leaves
                        1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
                        2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
                        2 or 3 dashes hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
                        4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
                        2 avocados, peeled and diced
                        2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels, thawed and drained
                        2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
                        1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
                        About 3/4 cup (3-ounces) grated pepper jack cheese
                        Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Bobby's Lighter Bakes Spaghetti serves 4
                        6 ounces whole-wheat angel hair pasta
                        2 teaspoons olive oil
                        1 onion, finely chopped
                        1 green bell pepper, diced
                        1/4 cup water
                        1 pound sweet Italian chicken sausage, casings removed
                        1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
                        1/2 teaspoon Paula Deen Seasoned Salt
                        1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
                        1 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese

White Bean Chili serves 10
                        1 lb dried navy beans
                        5 cup chicken stock
                        4 tablespoon (1/2 stick) butter
                        etc.

Bobby's Lighter Bacon Cheeseburger meatloaf serves 6
                        3 slices whole-wheat bread, torn
                        1/4 cup low-fat (1%) milk
                        2 teaspoons canola oil
                        1 (8-ounce) package mushrooms, coarsely chopped
                        1 onion, finely chopped
                        1 teaspoon salt
                        1 small zucchini, shredded
                        1 (20.8-ounce) package ground turkey or chicken
                        1/2 cup fat-free shredded mozzarella cheese
                        4 slices reduced-fat center-cut bacon

-------------

Looks like CW to me and these are supposedly the HEALTHY dishes.
                        For being low-fat, it's awfully cheese-heavy. I don't trust low-fat cheese.
                        I don't trust the serving sizes. NOBODY is going to eat only 1/4 of that baked pasta or 1/10 of those white beans.
                        These are only main dishes. They probably feel so good about being healthy with the main dish that they round out the meal with more cornbread.
                        Never mind the meal, I want to know what Bobby and Paula are snacking on an hour later.
                        5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Not to mention, well, none of those sound exactly good. I have seen paleo blogs with far more amazing sounding recipes- hello, deconstructed gyro salad.

Whole wheat spaghetti with a souce made out of green peppers and chicken sausage....Not to mention, these aren't very original- there is always a black bean salad with corn and avocado at every veggie potluck that ever took place. Duh- it's no new ground to use whole wehat pasta and chicken/turkey meats.

Plus, why not have a fit good looking person who's health glows like Mark as the figure head? I WANT to look like a female version of him, not like Paula. Tan, lean, healthy, strong.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                          Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Paula is human just like the rest of us. I may not agree with her cooking style(Choices), but to say she was deceiving people is a stretch. Paula has made some bad choices in her life and is now paying the price(Over-weight & Diabetes), just like many of us have(<-----finger pointing at myself). She has made a (GOOD)living doing what she did best.... cooking. I don't belittle people for making a living the best way they know how.

Paula Deen said "I have always encouraged moderation," she said. "It's entertainment. People have to be responsible." and now she needs to take responsibility to for herself. As a whole, people have forgotten how to take "personal responsibility" for themselves. They expect someone else to take care of them and when it doesn't happen, they look for someone to blame. I looked for someone to blame for my poor health for years.

Sorry for the rant if it sounded like one. If people want to cook like Paula Deen, that's their choice(s), Stop trying to blame her for that.
                            TO THE WORLD YOU MAY BE ONE PERSON, BUT TO ONE PERSON YOU MAY BE THE WORLD.

Comment

Yeah, I don't think Paula Deen is a bad person- it's not like she ever said "HEY, my food is healthy". It's just southern cooking. I can't imagine anyone thinks its healthy or ever thought it was healthy. She never looked particularly healthy to me. She looked like most people who cook that way- fat. A lot of TV chefs on Food Network make unhealthy food- so many of them. It's not like she is the only chef using fat, butter, sugar and flour.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                              Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Working...
                              X