Chocolate: Whats your cocoa % cutoff?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chocolate: Whats your cocoa % cutoff?

For me its 85%. It was previously 70%, but that stuff is too easy to find and I would buy it too much.

Im addicted to dark chocolate.

-Rob

It depends. I had a Valhrona 33% the other day and it was the best milk chocolate I've ever had. I usually hate milk chocolate. In general, for darks, never below 70% unless it's a chocolatier I like. For example, Madecasse makes a 60-something percenter that I HAVE to try. Delicious stuff.

Everyone here should try Rogue Chocolate. Seriously one of the best culinary experiences I've ever had. One man operation too.

Comment

My cutoff is typically 90%. Love the Pralus 100% though!

I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

100% all the way I'll have lesser amounts on occassion, like if I'm sharing a piece of something fancy with a friend (chili chocolate, bacon chocolate, etc...) but I only buy 100% for myself. It's like drinking black coffee, once you know how the actual pure substance tastes, if you like it you don't want to go back to diluting it with sugar!

You are what you eat,
        and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

We only have 100% in the house. Pralus is the best

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
          Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
          Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Comment

Chili chcolate is awesome! Haven't tried bacon chocolate...yet.

I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

Ideal = 85%

Won't go below 60%

Comment

Nothin' below 70%. Right now I've got both 70% and 85% in the cupboard, but I've been wanting to try Pralus.

My fave way to eat chocolate right now is to break up pieces of 85% in a bowl, add some ghee, and melt it. I drink it like espresso. It tastes like very rich hot chocolate, and helps me get in much-needed calories and fat.

Comment

I usually get 85%. I needed some chocolate chips for a recipe I was making last Christmas and the highest %cocoa content I could find was 60%, but that's probably the lowest I usually try to go.

Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Comment

90%.

I'm going to order some of that Pralus 100%!

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

85-90%. I agree, Pralus 100% is the best!

Comment

Pikaia - are we talking 40g or 100g bars? That would definitely be a way to get some needed fat!

I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

I haven't eaten chocolate in a long time but I do mix 100% cocoa into my protein pudding. 1 scoop of whey powder, 2 raw eggs, 2 tbs flaxseed, 3 tbs shredded coconut, 1 tbs psyllium husk, a little almond milk and sweeten with xylitol.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

85%. Darker is better.

Bought some 70% over the weekend -- was out of town and it was the darkest I could find. Waaaaaaaay too sweet.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

I find anything 70% to 85% reminds me of milk chocolate now. Incredibly sweet.

I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

Working...
                              X