Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone had success (or at least not gotten fat) by adding in starch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone had success (or at least not gotten fat) by adding in starch?

Hey guys! So I know everyone is different and my body will probably not react the same way as any of the people who answer this. BUT I'm curious to know if anyone has experienced strength/ muscle gains and/or fat loss when adding in starches. I have recently realized I am in fact poor and can not eat the way I have been eating for the last three months. Previously (as in before today) I have eaten around 1+ pounds of grass fed beef per day with about 3-6 pastured eggs (+ tons of organic veggies). However, now that my eyes have been opened to how pathetic my financial situation truly is I plan to cut my meat consumption down by about 1/3, add in sweet and red potatoes, and switch to cage free eggs as opposed to pasture raised. I know its not really optimal but I don't think its that bad of a compromise seeing as it will save me roughly $150/month in groceries. I'm not really interested in carb cycling but rather plan on having potatoes as part of my daily meal at lunch and dinner regardless of whether or not i'm lifting (I lift 3x per week and do crossfit 3-4x per week). So all in all it should come out to 2-3 small-medium sized potatoes per day which I'm thinking will equal about 75-125 g of carbs from starch. Oh and my goals? Right now just trying to maintain weight while slowly gaining strength and slowly leaning out, not looking for any quick fixes here or anything. My only concern really is that I naturally gravitated toward a VLC way of eating since going paleo/primal a few months ago; therefore, I don't want my body to react negatively to an increase in starch. Thanks guys

What about eating canned fish? Sardines are nice and fatty - they're usually pretty cheap, compared to grass fed beef.

Comment

Yeah, I do add in some canned tuna and salmon w/ bones on occasion. They will help with costs in the future but I honestly just don't like them enough to make them part of my everyday diet.

Comment

If you are trying to lean out, carbs are your friend. Schedule in some refeeds and or carb days with sweat potato, white rice.. whatever. Reduce calories bit and eat em up and enjoy the fat loss. Your body will not react negatively.
        "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Fernaldo View Post
          If you are trying to lean out, carbs are your friend.
          Thanks for the quick reply, Fernaldo. I've heard carbs help for fat loss in those that are active. However, when most people talk about adding carbs in they talk about carb cycling and other programs such as the UD2. I just wasn't sure if adding them in daily regardless of workout load for that day would mess anything up.

Comment

Well, personally I add them on days I workout. Carbs aren't going to make you fat. Eating a shit ton of calories and doing nothing will. If I were you, I would maintain your normal diet and add in some carbs if and when you workout. Just think of the motivation, SWEET POTATO DAY!!!!
            "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Hahaha. Like i said in the original post though, I'm adding them in as a substitute for the meat I can no longer afford bringing my macros of F/P/C/ to ROUGHLY 50/25/25. So I guess I'll see how it goes!

Comment

i agree to only adding the carbs on work out days...heavy lifting and sprinting to be specific.

but, if this is a financial issue for you, just ditch the grass fed and pastured eggs and go conventional. you'll probably save half--or more--of your money. use a tiny bit of that money to buy some good fish oil, switch out meat for salmon every now and then, and you'll get pretty much the same benefits as you are now for way less money.
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

strange cheap trick I've found is looking on Craigslist under the "farm and garden" tab-- usually there's folks on there selling meat for decent prices, as well as eggs. it might help you stretch your dollar a bit. i can usually get a dozen farm fresh eggs for $1.50, or a dozen "pond fresh" duck eggs for $2.00.
                  Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
                  Friend me on "The Facebook"
                  Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

Comment

Originally posted by primalrob View Post
                    i agree to only adding the carbs on work out days...heavy lifting and sprinting to be specific.

but, if this is a financial issue for you, just ditch the grass fed and pastured eggs and go conventional. you'll probably save half--or more--of your money. use a tiny bit of that money to buy some good fish oil, switch out meat for salmon every now and then, and you'll get pretty much the same benefits as you are now for way less money.
                    Thanks Rob! After hearing you and Fernaldo's advice, I'll try reserving my heavier carb days for my heavy lifting days, but I will probably add in smaller amounts of starch in my day-to-day life just to help the food stretch. As far as giving up grass fed meat, I'm not quite willing to do that yet. My stance on grass fed isn't only health-wise, but also ethical. For now, if I increase my carbs from cheap sources such as potatoes I can afford the higher quality meats. However, my views on this may change if my finances don't . Thanks again for the advice!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ASmallOne View Post
                      strange cheap trick I've found is looking on Craigslist under the "farm and garden" tab-- usually there's folks on there selling meat for decent prices, as well as eggs. it might help you stretch your dollar a bit. i can usually get a dozen farm fresh eggs for $1.50, or a dozen "pond fresh" duck eggs for $2.00.
                      I tried this and couldn't find anything in my area :/. I live in a city though which could be the problem. Thanks for the tip though!

Comment

I only cut back a bit on starch when I went primal. My blood glucose levels were in the ideal range when I started, as I'd been eating low GI for about 11 years and low sugar for about 17 years.

I get most of my starch from vegetables, white rice and sweet potatoes. About 150-180 g a day. I do a lot of low to medium intensity cardio (walking and interval training), so it's necessary. There's mounting evidence to indicate you should concentrate carb intake in your evening meal especially post-work out. I have a strict rule of <10g carbs before midday and I find a carb distribution of around 10% at breakfast, 25% at lunch, and 65% evening meal to be optimal.
                        F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I eat plenty of tubers, and found it beneficial, aka it stabilized my weight and hunger. I am rather active though.
                          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                          When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by primalsun View Post
                            I tried this and couldn't find anything in my area :/. I live in a city though which could be the problem. Thanks for the tip though!
                            yes, that sounds like it could be a problem, we're in a pretty agriculture friendly area out here. also being winter, it's a little tough to get stuff. we got in on a beef share i think maybe in october, but right now the main finds i see in our area are eggs and rabbits, with the beef or pork posting more infrequent. i'd imagine the same for most northern states, maybe southern ones as well?

one other idea-- got any co-ops near you or organic grocers? they may have a message board with business cards on it with local suppliers as well, or you could post an advert and try to get up on a beefshare? maybe that eatwild.com (i think that's it) could point you in a good direction?
                            Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
                            Friend me on "The Facebook"
                            Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
                              There's mounting evidence to indicate you should concentrate carb intake in your evening meal especially post-work out. I have a strict rule of <10g carbs before midday and I find a carb distribution of around 10% at breakfast, 25% at lunch, and 65% evening meal to be optimal.
                              Thanks paleobunny! I actually just read something about high carb meals in the evening having a number of benefits including helping you sleep! Luckily I lift at night so this should be easy. I do crossfit in the morning though and its usually more cardio based so I wonder if adding starch after workouts in the a.m. Would be a bad idea...*self experimentation time!!*

Comment

Working...
                              X