Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preserving the Omega 3 while cooking salmon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preserving the Omega 3 while cooking salmon?

I have read that heat alters the Omega 3 fats in food. So, how do I cook salmon while keeping all the Omega 3 - goodness?

Here's my newest trick...I make a good bone broth, season it well with salt, pepper, and misc spices. Then put about 2" of it in a pan, bring to almost a boil and put your salmon in it. Cook it to whatever doneness you prefer. Eat the salmon and drink the broth.

Comment

What about poaching?

Sorry to bump such an old thread, btw.
      Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Comment

High-heat = altered fats.
        Low-heat = no altered fats.

Either oven cook it or if you have an electric stove.. you can cook it on the lowest setting until the meat nicely falls apart however it will probably take longer than 20 minutes, its well worth the wait in my opinion. Chicken thighs are delicious cooked in olive oil on low until the meat falls apart.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Comment

Yes, it always takes longer than 20 minutes to cook on medium temps. Worth it every time!
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

What about dehydrating salmon in a Dehydrator? I haven't bought one yet but thinking about getting me a 9 tray Excalibur.

Comment

What about slow cooked beef? Do you destroy the Omega 3 content of the fat by heating it for so long, even at low temperatures?

Comment

Sushi.

You're welcome.
                Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Uncephalized View Post
                  Sushi.

You're welcome.
                  Perfect!
                  “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                  ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                  And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by Issabeau View Post
                    What about dehydrating salmon in a Dehydrator? I haven't bought one yet but thinking about getting me a 9 tray Excalibur.
                    I'm pretty sure that in whole foods the fats are much less prone to oxidation than if they were in a refined oil. But, I would definitely be running the dehydrator outside if I was doing fish. It's going to smell REALLY fishy. Same for onions and garlic.

Comment

Working...
                    X