Fat Burning Foods?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fat Burning Foods?

So, this website claims the same old, same old conventional wisdom, but can certain foods burn fat really? Or is this just a list of usual diet foods?

Fat Burning Foods

And... discuss.
    Woman, Artist, Wife, Visionary, Mother, Gardener, Daughter, Tea-drinker, Friend, Believer.

There are some good superfoods in there, e.g. broccoli, sweet potatoes, oily fish, berries. They won't burn fat per se, but they will bump up micronutrient intake which is a great facilitator for a weight loss programme. So there's some useful stuff there, but it's not enough, especially in terms of macronutrient ratios, and avoiding toxins!

In my opinion, the only real 'fat burner' there is coffee.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 01-17-2012, 11:45 AM. Reason: typo
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
      That, and cocaine.

Or did you mean only the legal ones?
      Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
        Yup. I don't think there are any actual foods that result in a net energy loss (making them fat burning foods). I've heard it said that leafy greens take more energy to digest than they contain, but I've never seen proof.

That said, some foods are better than others when it comes to fat loss. Like eggs.
        Ye shall know them by their fruits.

Comment

Originally posted by Laconophile View Post
          Yup. I don't think there are any actual foods that result in a net energy loss (making them fat burning foods). I've heard it said that leafy greens take more energy to digest than they contain, but I've never seen proof.

That said, some foods are better than others when it comes to fat loss. Like eggs.
          I think some of the more fibrous foods might give you a very small net energy loss to the point you could effectively regard them as free, but it's not going to offset over-consumption of other foods.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncephalized View Post
            That, and cocaine.

Or did you mean only the legal ones?
            I didn't see cocaine listed in the original article. I'm not sure I'll ever feel the need to try cocaine... now I've got primal!

Originally posted by Laconophile View Post
            I've heard it said about celery too. I refuse to eat the stuff unless it's fried in butter. Leafy greens are good for other reasons IMO such as magnesium and folate content.
            Originally posted by DaisyEater View Post
            I think some of the more fibrous foods might give you a very small net energy loss to the point you could effectively regard them as free, but it's not going to offset over-consumption of other foods.
            I personally feel I need about 7 portions a day of veg for the fiber content for bowel health, plus vitamins and minerals - not to offset over-consumption of other foods.
            F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Grizzly Bears burn thousands of calories catching and eating ground squirrels, which only have a couple hundred calories...so, if you were to eat something that took a huge effort to prepare, it could be kind of like a negative calorie food, ie. veggies from your garden.

Comment

I think there are no fat burning foods but there are food which are free from fat, so to burn fat you can to exercise and to avoid further fat deposition in your body you can plan your right diet plan with foods which are free from fat.

Comment

Originally posted by Flower View Post
                  I think there are no fat burning foods but there are food which are free from fat, so to burn fat you can to exercise and to avoid further fat deposition in your body you can plan your right diet plan with foods which are free from fat.
                  Are. You. Kidding. Me.

Fat does not make us fat. Exercise does not make us slim. This is pretty basic primal knowledge.

Comment

OK hands up. Who else thought they'd clicked into one of the "mom discovers one weird tip" web advertisements for acaí berry?
                    5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

I closed the window right away when I saw that apples were listed as a fat-burning food.

Fructose has unique properties that makes it highly fattening. Any consumed fructose is pretty much guaranteed to be converted straight to fat by the liver.
                      There aren't many problems in life that can't be solved by sleeping it off, or adding more butter.

Comment

I'm not much of a believer in "Fat burning foods." Seems kind of a contradiction in terms. You eat food in order to retain weight. I think the term was invented by the weight loss industry to sell a fantasy.

Comment

The mushrooms I found the forest on Monday were fairly fat burning. I had to hike about 5 miles with about 1800' elevation gain, and then there was the resulting poison oak leaving me burning calories trying not to scratch. Plus it took a couple hours to clean the mushrooms and sauté them and pack them in the freezer. No, they weren't that kind of shroom.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I discounted the entire article the moment they talked about barley as a fat-burning food. Riiight. Because all those beer bellies are just an optical illusion.

Then again, so much of the American population is obese that this advice may actually work for some people. If they ate apples instead of cake, then yes they would burn fat.

I still stand by my theory that CW will work, but only to the last 15-20 pounds give or take. After that you have to starve yourself (automatically carb-limiting) or go chronic cardio.
                            5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Originally posted by Flower View Post
                              I really don't want to snark on you but I think you may want to start here. Not even CW buys into the fat-makes-you-fat myth any more. And the primal and paleo movements have gone much further into recognizing fat as a very important component of the diet.

Comment

Working...
                              X