Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folic acid

Hey,

Almost a year ago my blood test indicated a deficiency in folic acid. Problem is, it seems that folic acid is almost completely absent from anything primal. It seems the only things that do contain it are grains and breakfast cereals.

So, what can I do? (except taking a supplement).

There's loads of folic acid in vegetables such as spinach, asparagus; also plenty to be found in egg yolks, kidney and liver.

I'm concerned about eating too much of the stuff on primal!
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

There's loads of folic acid in vegetables such as spinach, asparagus; also plenty to be found in egg yolks, kidney and liver.
      +1
      Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
      Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
      Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

I've looked into nutrition database and it showed that there is no folic acid whatsoever in eggs, liver and so on. (I've checked eggs, and pretty sure about liver).

Nutrition facts, calories in food, labels, nutritional information and analysis – NutritionData.com

Have a look.

Comment

Maybe it is listed under one of its other names like B9 ...
          Folic acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by Drlove View Post
            I've looked into nutrition database and it showed that there is no folic acid whatsoever in eggs, liver and so on. (I've checked eggs, and pretty sure about liver).

Nutrition facts, calories in food, labels, nutritional information and analysis – NutritionData.com

Have a look.
            Folate - MayoClinic.com

Folic acid is a synthesized compound. It was added to cereal grains in the US starting in 1996 (mandatory compliance by 1998). That's why it's found in our grains: because we started fortifying them, not because it naturally occurred there. The prevention of neural tube defects were the reason for this change.

Folate is found naturally in food. It's what you actually want, as there may be reasons to be concerned about excess folic acid in the diet.

Cordain is pretty hard on folic acid in his latest literature, and thinks you should get your folate naturally, not from supplements like folic acid.
            Last edited by onalark; 01-16-2012, 02:08 PM.
            Steph
            My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Well, you may look into why you have the deficiency in the first place. Mine is caused by a medication I take, so it's unavoidable and I take a supplement. I can gauge when I am more or less deficient by the amount/frequency with which I develop mouth canker sores and headaches. It's a somewhat serious issue, so you should address it.
              Folic Acid Deficiency: The Causes, Symptoms, and Stages of Folate Deficiency and Anemia | Suite101.com

Comment

I see.
                So getting sufficient folate, even if it contains nearly no folic acid, is okay too?
                I'm thinking of getting a blood test after hearing that, but not yet though. Soon enough, I'll check the rest of my vitamins and minerals as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Drlove View Post
                  I see.
                  So getting sufficient folate, even if it contains nearly no folic acid, is okay too?
                  I'm thinking of getting a blood test after hearing that, but not yet though. Soon enough, I'll check the rest of my vitamins and minerals as well.
                  Here's a little more info:
                  Mark Hyman, MD: Nutrition Tips: Folic Acid: Killer or Cure-All?

Folic acid is apparently more readily absorbed by the body, but this may not be a good thing....
                  Steph
                  My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Thanks for the clarifications onalark
                    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Update on this. Chris Kresser discussed folate/folic acid today on his podcast:
                      The Highly Effective (But Little Known) Treatment For Chronic Sinusitis

In short, his recommendation is that if you want to supplement, do so with folate, not folic acid. Look for L-5-MTHF or 5-methyltetrahydrofolate or Metafolin.
                      Steph
                      My Primal Meanderings

Comment

What's your vitamin B12? What do you eat normally? I'm suspecting you're too low carb and not eating enough plant calories (20-30% of total)
                        http://thepaleopremise.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                        X